Jackets? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory General Discussion

Old 12-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
4 inch pistons
Premium Member

Default Jackets?

When I sold the Harley, I had a ton of accessories I sold on the web-- including 3 high dollar jackets. My intentions was to go to EBay and replace them with Victory leather jackets. This has been an ongoing process just trying to make up my mind.

The extra time provided my my "indecision" lead me to look at other jackets and what I discovered is that other "motorcycle specific" jackets are a much better deal---especially when you buy used from somebody with a good feedback rating on EBay.

What I got was a Joe Rocket Atomic 4.0 like new for $59. I have been riding since 1976 and have never worn anything but leather, so I was a bit skeptical. I must say that I am impressed! Keep in mind that I still love leather, but this jacket is a new concept in apparel. So I asked myself why I did not try this earlier, and I have no answer unless just not wanting to look like the rice rocket crowd.

So what do you wear and WHY? If you say leather--- then I also ask if you have ever tried a jacket made especially made for bikes that is not leather?
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
The Wolf

I've worn a mix of different material jackets over the years, and sadly have only been off a bike on a rare occassion I wasn't wearing much. Lesson learned.

You'll usually find me wearing some comfortable but thick cargo pants that are kevlar lined, and this jacket. Cooler temps I leave the windproof liner in, warmer temps not. I've been fortunate enough to have never tested it with asphalt, but seems solid and has decent padding (back, shoulders, elbows).

This one's Joe Rocket as well, leather/mesh mix, original logos are blacked out, and I added a couple iron on patches I bought online. Folks now know what kind of bike I'm riding (you all know that look as other riders stare in envy trying to figure out what it is).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Joe Rocket.jpg (33.7 KB, 33 views)
Old 12-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
TNXR

I've been riding for 5 years now and started off with a sport bike style jackets. I wear a speed and strength jacket with tons of vent zippers as well as a scorpion mesh jacket. They are of course made in China which I dislike but I bought them both on closeout for less than $50 a piece new. If you stop by the motorcycle web sites once every week or two and check out their closeouts you can find some awesome deals.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
depot picker
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I've worn a mix of different material jackets over the years, and sadly have only been off a bike on a rare occassion I wasn't wearing much. Lesson learned.

You'll usually find me wearing some comfortable but thick cargo pants that are kevlar lined, and this jacket. Cooler temps I leave the windproof liner in, warmer temps not. I've been fortunate enough to have never tested it with asphalt, but seems solid and has decent padding (back, shoulders, elbows).

This one's Joe Rocket as well, leather/mesh mix, original logos are blacked out, and I added a couple iron on patches I bought online. Folks now know what kind of bike I'm riding (you all know that look as other riders stare in envy trying to figure out what it is).

Iron on patches can be ironed on to leather?
Passenger arm rests and handles, driver back rest
Lloydz filter, 1 1/8 hole drilled in muffler baffles,
Harley lugage rack, Ness modular apes
depot picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
BanditSRT8

Armored leather in the winter, armored mesh in the Summer.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
ndabunka

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 inch pistons View Post
When I sold the Harley, I had a ton of accessories I sold on the web-- including 3 high dollar jackets. My intentions was to go to EBay and replace them with Victory leather jackets. This has been an ongoing process just trying to make up my mind.

The extra time provided my my "indecision" lead me to look at other jackets and what I discovered is that other "motorcycle specific" jackets are a much better deal---especially when you buy used from somebody with a good feedback rating on EBay.

What I got was a Joe Rocket Atomic 4.0 like new for $59. I have been riding since 1976 and have never worn anything but leather, so I was a bit skeptical. I must say that I am impressed! Keep in mind that I still love leather, but this jacket is a new concept in apparel. So I asked myself why I did not try this earlier, and I have no answer unless just not wanting to look like the rice rocket crowd.

So what do you wear and WHY? If you say leather--- then I also ask if you have ever tried a jacket made especially made for bikes that is not leather?
I currently wear leather for two reasons:
#1) You can get some REALLY nice non-Harley stuff for reasonable prices (under $250) so it's affordable and can be worn most of the time I need a jacket (it's a mid-weight soft leather) down to 30 degrees. Mine does not have any manufacturer name on it or any patches.

#2) I bought a (new) Speed & Strength textile jacket (also for $59 off eBay) that was very nice with protection, zip outs, etc but IMHO it made me look like a teenager with his "pants on the ground". I am 50 and want to look distinguished. I don't want to walk into a bar wearing a crotch rocket jacket (Joe Rocket, S&S, etc) and have 100% of the people there wondering if I am going through a mid-life crisis.

2011 Victory Ness Cross Country #120
Ness Thunderheaders, Ness Knurled Highway Pegs (Custom), WitchDoctor Chrome CAM tension cover/Red Engine Bolts, Madstad System, DIY Garage Door Mod, Chrome Saddle Bag Lid Rails, PC-V & AutoTune

Last edited by ndabunka; 12-04-2012 at 09:50 AM.
ndabunka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
lstayner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 inch pistons View Post

Couple of comments on leather vs. mesh

If you buy leather make sure it is a jacket that has been engineered for safety and not fashion. Med weight leather is no better than a denim jacket in a crash.

I have been wearing an Olympia Textile jacket, before that a Tourmaster Sonora mesh jacket and before that a what I thought was a good leather vented jacket.

The thing about Textile is that is can be engineered to a specific specification. Leather can only be graded by thickness and imperfections. With that said, it can look good & heavy but have hidden imperfections that may fail in the event of a crash.

Buy the best you can afford for gear.

Larry

2011 Pearl White Vision 566,000 smiles
lstayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
SilentUnicorn

When I got back into riding I purchased one of these:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/t...e-air-3-jacket

Pretty impressed.

also these:

http://www.revzilla.com/product/tour...tech-flex-pant

I like them.

ATGATT
m
Old 12-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
ridealittle

im a yard sale freak, you wouldn't believe how much mc stuff you find. everything i wear right now came from a yard sale. leather chaps and heavy olympia gloves 35.00, medium weight olympia gloves 4.00, nylon medium weight harley jacket 15.00, and my prize, an icon daytona jacket for 35.00 that cost 480.00 new.
in order of ownership, sears compact scooter, honda 305 scrambler, honda 160 dream , triumph 500 trophy trail, honda cb450, sportster, honda f750, 2nd sportster, harley flh, harley super glide, 3rd sportster, bmw k1000, harley low rider, 2nd harley super glide, harley heratage, harley road king,
thats just the street bikes!
ridealittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
WJMCrossRoads
Lifetime Premium

Garage

It's WAY to hot to wear any leather year-round in Texas. I LOVE my vanson vent max 4.

http://www.vansonleathers.com/prod-V...ries-615.aspx?

Mine is black with blacked out logo patches on the upper arms. No stripes, colors or other patches.

Next: HID, Light Bar, Tach

Gig 'Em Ags!

WJMCrossRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement