leaving bike tied down on trailer - Page 2 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 12-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #11
Pckrfan

You can get them direct from them http://www.baxleycompanies.com/ or places like eBay or amazon nextag etc.... And try your local shop or other dealers in town. Lotsa bike shops carry them or similar style chocks.
XC/XR heated tour seat & bag bars
Ness derby covers & Rad III mirrors
Avon heated grips, air horn and lotsa blacked out stuff. (Green Goblin artwork by Bad Boy Designs in Peoria AZ)

Artificial intelligence is absolutely 100% NO match for natural stupidity!
Pckrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #12
Botein

Garage

I use a Condor wheel chock in which the bike stands up by itself. I used to attach at the lower triple tree and put very little compression into it. At night when we stopped, I even took the compression off. This fall I moved the fork shields up and attached the front straps there. The back straps are attached to the swing arm. The whole bike floats on it's suspension. I did put 50 psi in the back shock to cut down on the bounce. Worked like a charm. It makes the trip from AB to AZ and back each year.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #13
Forty-one
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Old post, I know, found it in the course of a search and may just be talking out into the ether. Nonetheless, perhaps an experience of mine can be of benefit to others. Navy guy, doing a change of station about 10-15 yrs ago and had a Valkyrie strapped in back on a trailer along with boxes of books and whatnot lining the sides of same. The straps had hooks that were hooked to any old solid projection along the side of the trailer. About a mile from my destination I hit some some bodaciously rough RR tracks and what compression was left in the forks and/or tires momentarily left and let the straps go flaccid. the hooks unhooked and the bike, luckily and harmlessly, slumped over on to some book boxes. From then on I used a bungie stretched across the floor of the trailer from strap eye to strap eye to keep some tension on the hooks and the hooks shoved home no matter the tension on the strap. Also, be advised that water is a good lubricant and can let the weave in your straps loosen significantly so do a round of tightening if you hit some rain. Seeing that bike in the rear view askew was a bad, bad feeling as I imagined it grinding around on the metal stanchions till I could get stopped. Lucky that time, won't be a next. As an aside, was stationed in Jax, FL and it seemed every year there was a report or three in the paper of bikes departing trailers on 95 to and from Daytona. It happens, be careful. You might not be going home impaired but maybe you were the night before when you loaded up.
2013 ZNCC #109
Forty-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

A good habit to get into is to check the straps at every stop. On a multi day trip; loosen the straps at night then tighten them before heading out for the day or just heading to a local restaurant, etc.

I like your idea about checking the straps soon after it starts raining and has had a chance to soak the straps.
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
Squatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcflyguy View Post
Need advice please.
I have loaded my 2012 XCT on a trailer which is in my garage, ready to leave for Arizona on Jan 1 2013. Is there a problem with leaving the bike tied down compressed in the front shocks for the next 5 weeks until I leave. Will I wreck anything like seals or anything??
Information please
Thank You
bcflyguy aka Neil
Leaving it on the trailer is great but just tie down with enough pressure to hold her upright.

Traveling, lock it down you will not hurt the bike or seals. Tie it down as per the owners manual and if using new straps they will stretch and will require re-tightening often.

Another note the more the bike moves the more stress is added to the straps in the form of shock load.

Stop and check the straps often when first getting underway, after that at least every time you stop, best before leaving as there are a lot of asses out there that will loosen then for S&Gs. and you end up with a busted bike.

USN/USCG Vet
2013 Cross Country Tour
Zumo 665 w/weather
Power Commander V
Lloydz Air filter
PTS set to +6*
Hydraulic Clutch
D&D wrapped/RPW baffles
Touring Cams
124 hp/119#ft

A country that forgets it's defenders, will itself soon be forgotten
Squatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
Forty-one
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Dayum, I guess I wasn't broadcasting into nothingness after all. The difference between lurking and working a forum. Interesting, pops up to the top of the heap when you generate a reply. Sweet.

So, uh, Squatch, that USCG bidness before or after the USN bidness? Your credibility is on the line here.

2013 ZNCC #109
Forty-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement