Wrist pain from handlebar angle - Page 2 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 12-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
orbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by depot picker View Post
Yes. The angle sucks.
Does the angle suck on the 2" pullback handlebars too?

Some of my Rides

Coast to Coast trip of a Lifetime
From Oregon to the Grand Canyon and beyond
Scenic Alaska on a Harley
Touring the Rocky Mts. on a Harley
orbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
Desert Dave

Wrist angle the same on the extended 2 inch Victory bars. The angle is not ideal, at least for me on the long runs.
D2
Old 12-03-2012, 04:51 AM   #13
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
Bbob, I'm assuming in picture 3 that the lower one is the end product of the bending? More angle was added?
The top bars are the corrected bars in pic 3.
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #14
40XC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
Bbob, I'm assuming in picture 3 that the lower one is the end product of the bending? More angle was added?
RICZ, those are my pictures. The bottom bars in picture 3 is the corrected bars. I have always found Vic bars to be to flat for me because of a bad shoulder the flat bars would turn my elbows outward and put pressure on my wrists and shoulders. I put buckhorn bars on my Vegas and they helped but were not perfect.

These bars I modified in these pics were brand new 2" pullback SRVT bars. I can't give you a specific angle except when done the top part of the mirror arms were basically flat instead of angling upwards. As the pics show, a solid bar is inserted up inside the handlebar to insure the bend was happening at the curve point already in the bars and not anywhere where the grips or mirror/switch/ clutch backets need to clamp. Doing this was a slow and careful process. You don't want to bend to much to quick or the chromeing could be breached. Also I bent the bars as much as THEY seemed to want to yield without excessivly forcing them beyond that. The end results were awesome and couldn't have turned out better for me.

Last edited by 40XC; 12-03-2012 at 09:07 PM.
40XC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #15
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
RICZ, those are my pictures. The bottom bars in picture 3 is the corrected bars.
Whoops. My bad. I thought it was the other way around.

That means there was an added inch or more of pullback. That never hurts.
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #16
orbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40XC View Post
RICZ, those are my pictures. The bottom bars in picture 3 is the corrected bars. I have always found Vic bars to be to flat for me because of a bad shoulder the flat bars would turn my elbows outward and put pressure on my wrists and shoulders. I put buckhorn bars on my Vegas and they helped but were not perfect.

These bars I modified in these pics were brand new 2" pullback SRVT bars. I can't give you a specific angle except when done the top part of the mirror arms were basically flat instead of angling upwards. As the pics show, a solid bar is inserted up inside the handlebar to insure the bend was happening at the curve point already in the bars and not anywhere where the grips or mirror/switch/ clutch backets need to clamp. Doing this was a slow and careful process. You don't want to bend to much to quick or the chromeing could be breached. Also I bent the bars as much as THEY seemed to want to yield without excessivly forcing them beyond that. The end results were awesome and couldn't have turned out better for me.
40XC
Thanks for replying.
"the flat bars would turn my elbows outward and put pressure on my wrists and shoulders"
That is exactly the problem.

That's pretty amazing that the chrome didn't pop off. Did you use a little heat or just slow brute force?

Some of my Rides

Old 12-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #17
Botein

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
Does anyone else have wrist pain from handlebar angle?

I have been riding Harleys for a long long time. Since I have started riding the XCT (about 2500 mile so far) my wrists have started to hurt after riding. I think the angle is ergonomically incorrect.

Is this happening to anyone else?
KEN
When HMD built their 2" pullback bars for the XC, they adjusted the angle to make them a more natural position for the wrists. This may be an alternative for you. http://www.hmd520.com/category/XC-Parts-32
My wrists don't get sore but I have a problem of the throttle hand falling asleep. I think it's because the bars could be further back yet for me. If I was doing it over again, I would try HMD rather than the Vic ones.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #18
40XC

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
40XC
Thanks for replying.
"the flat bars would turn my elbows outward and put pressure on my wrists and shoulders"
That is exactly the problem.

That's pretty amazing that the chrome didn't pop off. Did you use a little heat or just slow brute force?
No heat. That would ruin the chrome. Not really brute force either, more just controlled leverage with a long solid bar. As I mentioned you do the process slowly and allow the metal to bend without excessively forcing it to bend to fast or to much. The bars were only bent down, not back. They have a comfortable back angle already and the SVRT bars matched the stock ones perfectly except being 2" longer before I modified them.

Last edited by 40XC; 12-03-2012 at 09:44 PM.
40XC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:16 AM   #19
orbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botein View Post
When HMD built their 2" pullback bars for the XC, they adjusted the angle to make them a more natural position for the wrists. This may be an alternative for you. http://www.hmd520.com/category/XC-Parts-32
My wrists don't get sore but I have a problem of the throttle hand falling asleep. I think it's because the bars could be further back yet for me. If I was doing it over again, I would try HMD rather than the Vic ones.
Thanks for the info Randy
I was thinking about the HMD bars and then I heard about the Ness Modular Bars. I have ordered them. They are taller. There have been some discussions and another thread. Check out that thread for more info. Bbob and I will be posting more info about the Ness bars soon.

On this thread I am trying to get more info to share with Victory about their poor choice of bars. It seems like the shorter riders are having the issues if I'm not mistaken. KEN

Some of my Rides

Old 12-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #20
depot picker
Lifetime Premium

Here's the problem with the stock bars. It is a failure to understand the market for heavy crusers. Who buys an XCT? Old farts. How are old farts joints at being bent and stressed in unnatural directions? Not good. So why would they sell an old fart model with that kind of handle bars? I bet they had young guys test them, and us old farts know young guys don't know jack.
Passenger arm rests and handles, driver back rest
Lloydz filter, 1 1/8 hole drilled in muffler baffles,
Harley lugage rack, Ness modular apes
depot picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement