Which battery tender do you use? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which tender do you or will you use
Battery Tender Jr 750ma 27 48.21%
Battery Tender Plus 1.2amp 19 33.93%
Other type of tender (Please post) 10 17.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Tims_04V92TC

Garage
Default Which battery tender do you use?

Well, now that I have a need for a tender I am not sure if bigger is better or which way to go. Thought I would solicit some input from those who have been using them.

I ride my VV daily (year round riding here in VA) with my TC getting a weekly outting for the most part. Was thinking of buying 1 tender to keep on the TC primarily or use on the VV should bad weather really hit.

Will the Tender Jr. 750ma be sufficent or should I go the 1.25amp as I really am not sure if I need to. To be honest, I am begining to think my truck needs it more than the bikes.. lol.. Thanks in advance for your inputs??
2011 White Vision - Nuvi 550, Lowers, Lloydz 2nd filter, Vic perf filter, CB/Icom, 96 Brake LED's, Clear Signal lens/Switchbacks, VIC Hwy Pegs, Stebel Horn, 7Jurock 15" Shield, PCV, Lloyd ATS and Variable intake, Ness honkers

2004 V92 TC - S1 flash, level 1 slip-on, Ness big sucker K&N, ISO Grips, 4x1.5 Highway Hawg Risers, extra chrome (never too much), JM 2k CB 4' antena, Mustang seat, HD Front TS & Lowers, OD Pulley

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Tims_04V92TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
arkiebiker
Premium Member

I use the Plus model (one on left)...when I use it.
Blytheville, AR (Hometown and the BEST BBQ Sandwiches in the world)
Arkansas Bikers Website
http://www.arkansasbiker.net
Garmin Zumo GPS Forums
http://www.zumoforums.com

Last edited by arkiebiker; 01-26-2013 at 10:31 AM.
arkiebiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
TNXR

I use a craftsman tender with the male/female connections. Came with one battery post permanent connector that is on my Suzuki. Autozone sells extra ones though and picked up one for my XR.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Pop

Garage

There's everything else, then there's

http://www.geniuschargers.com/G3500/specs

It's got a power port connector (optional) if you don't want to bother wiring it in and yeppir, it will charge your truck just fine. The thing that I don't like is that it's a lot smarter than me.

Where I lead me I will travel
Where I need me I will call me
I'm no fool I'll be ready
God knows I will be
And in the meantime make a little money
And buy a little mercy

That was written by Townes Van Zandt
Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
Term

Something to think about, probably not as big an issue on a bike, maybe the new Visions, with some of the electronics. A buddy of mine has a Z06 that he keeps on a battery tender. Lightning struck his house and it apparently fried his ABS module. Cost him a pretty penny and he replaced it himself. He still has to take it to a dealer because it has to be programmed with a TECH II. He is not sure how much they will charge for that. Anyway, the moral is might want to think about a good surge suppressor if you leave your bike connected to one.

Last edited by Term; 12-05-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Term is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims_04V92TC View Post
Well, now that I have a need for a tender I am not sure if bigger is better or which way to go.
Depends how fast you want to recharge the battery I suspect. I've used the little ones for years though they didn't used to be called a "Jrs." Since I just use them to trickle charge the bikes during winter, I see no rush.

I change a set of the included connectors over to the male heated gear style connectors so I can plug them in directly without taking the bike apart to get at the battery terminals. I also keep the terminal clamps for charging batteries on the tractor and lawn mower.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term View Post
A buddy of mine has a Z06 that he keeps on a battery tender. Lightning struck his house and it apparently fried his ABS module.
Never thought about that before. Though with lightning, I'm not sure there is a man made product guaranteed to ward off the force of mother nature.

I had lightning hit a tree next to the house once and in addition to the tree, it took out most every electrical gizmo in the house. Damn glad it hit the tree and not the house!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Never thought about that before. Though with lightning, I'm not sure there is a man made product guaranteed to ward off the force of mother nature.

I had lightning hit a tree next to the house once and in addition to the tree, it took out most every electrical gizmo in the house. Damn glad it hit the tree and not the house!
Yup, trickle to keep the TC fresh is about all I need but that Genious looks tempting as well. Will handle everything.

+1 on that lighting note. Wasn't thinking about that but I do use surge protectors in the garage as well as through out the house. Had lighting hit the tree in front of my house TWICE in a year. 2nd time took out the neighbors TV, Computer, Cable modem and router as well as blew the microwave.. He was pissed when I told him NOTHING happend to my house... Not funny I know but you have got to know my neighbor to see the humor. Anyway, I cut the tree down... Seen it as an omen.. lol.. Thanks for the inputs so far!
2011 White Vision - Nuvi 550, Lowers, Lloydz 2nd filter, Vic perf filter, CB/Icom, 96 Brake LED's, Clear Signal lens/Switchbacks, VIC Hwy Pegs, Stebel Horn, 7Jurock 15" Shield, PCV, Lloyd ATS and Variable intake, Ness honkers

2004 V92 TC - S1 flash, level 1 slip-on, Ness big sucker K&N, ISO Grips, 4x1.5 Highway Hawg Risers, extra chrome (never too much), JM 2k CB 4' antena, Mustang seat, HD Front TS & Lowers, OD Pulley

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Tims_04V92TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #9
dtmmil
Premium Member

If your only letting the bike sit for a week or so at a time I really don't see the need to do anything for a charger, you shouldn't be having any issues in that short of time, if you are, its something else. If you plan to park it for several weeks or even months, then a maintainer would be a good idea.
de-badged,(self tinted) Klockwerx flare, passenger backrest, passenger touring floorboards, VictoryHID kit, thrush glasspack mod conversion(#24201),Lloyds air filter(from witchdr.)Lloyds timing wheel(8*), adjustable drop link, cut seat, removed cats, PCV w/at.
1978(2009) Honda cb750 chopper
Hawley MN(sold)
dtmmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #10
joarzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop View Post
There's everything else, then there's

http://www.geniuschargers.com/G3500/specs

It's got a power port connector (optional) if you don't want to bother wiring it in and yeppir, it will charge your truck just fine. The thing that I don't like is that it's a lot smarter than me.
PLUS 1 right here!!

2010 Kingpin
joarzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement