My Vic is lifeless...:-( - Page 2 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory V92C

Old 12-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #11
Dann

Garage

I noticed it's been a few days since you have posted any updates
and i was wondering if you solved the problem. I was thinking you might be able to take your ECM to a victory dealer and have it tested.
not sure, just a suggestion. Also if Vic builder can answer this question. Is it possible to fry the ECM by just changing the battery?
and if so what should be done to avoid this from happening.

Thanks.... Dann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #12
motor_head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann View Post
I noticed it's been a few days since you have posted any updates
and i was wondering if you solved the problem. I was thinking you might be able to take your ECM to a victory dealer and have it tested.
not sure, just a suggestion. Also if Vic builder can answer this question. Is it possible to fry the ECM by just changing the battery?
and if so what should be done to avoid this from happening.

Thanks.... Dann

Unfortunately, I haven't made any progress. I haven't been able to secure a good legible wiring diagram for my year model. I have tried to isolate just about every circuit, electrical connector, and component on the bike to see if I can see if anything else could be causing the ECM fuse to blow. I have just about decided that the ECM itself is bad, although a peek inside didn't reveal any evidence of it being smoked.
I did find a company online that specializes in diagnosis, repair and sales of ECM/ECU components, so a call to them could be in my future. For the time being, I am just watching Feebay for the correct one for my bike, hopefully one guaranteed not to be DOA.
I would also like to know about the charging issue, wanna make sure I don't smoke another one in the future.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #13
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

Shoot a PM to Kevinx since your at a road blck. I was looking at my wiring, not sure how different a 04TC s but looks like the ECU takes input from both air box sensors, TPS, crank position sensor, and fuel injectors. Singal isolation maybe. I'm lost on this one. :-(
2011 White Vision - Nuvi 550, Lowers, Lloydz 2nd filter, Vic perf filter, CB/Icom, 96 Brake LED's, Clear Signal lens/Switchbacks, VIC Hwy Pegs, Stebel Horn, 7Jurock 15" Shield, PCV, Lloyd ATS and Variable intake, Ness honkers

2004 V92 TC - S1 flash, level 1 slip-on, Ness big sucker K&N, ISO Grips, 4x1.5 Highway Hawg Risers, extra chrome (never too much), JM 2k CB 4' antena, Mustang seat, HD Front TS & Lowers, OD Pulley

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Tims_04V92TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #14
Dann

Garage

I was looking through my service manual and ran across some test
procedures for the electrical system. My bike is a 99 but it should
be the same. If you give me your email i can send them to you, maybe
it will help you out. also i was thinking if it's possible you got a bad
battery. I know you said you tested it but crazy things happen.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #15
motor_head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims_04V92TC View Post
Shoot a PM to Kevinx since your at a road blck. I was looking at my wiring, not sure how different a 04TC s but looks like the ECU takes input from both air box sensors, TPS, crank position sensor, and fuel injectors. Singal isolation maybe. I'm lost on this one. :-(
I'm lost as well. I did find a legible ECM plug pin diagram for an '02 model, and it looks like the layout is slightly different than my '00. Probably due to a change in the ECM itself after the "00 year models.(?)

All I know is that I'm keeping the local AutoZone guys in beer money just from buying 25-count packs of 10amp fuses to smoke check this thing....
Old 12-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #16
motor_head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann View Post
I was looking through my service manual and ran across some test
procedures for the electrical system. My bike is a 99 but it should
be the same. If you give me your email i can send them to you, maybe
it will help you out. also i was thinking if it's possible you got a bad
battery. I know you said you tested it but crazy things happen.
Thanks Dann....private message sent. I wondered about the battery myself. May have to run some checks on it as well. Static voltage reads ok, but who knows....:-(
Old 12-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #17
Speedblue

Default Ciruit breaker.

Buy yourself a circuit breaker to plug in place of the fuse. If the circuit breaker is to large to fit into the fuse area just plug a couple of wires onto the circuit breaker and then plug the wires into the fuse box. If there is a short the breaker will blow,then after a short period of time reset itself and you can reuse it again.
Speedblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #18
Vicbuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_head View Post
Unfortunately, I haven't made any progress. I haven't been able to secure a good legible wiring diagram for my year model. I have tried to isolate just about every circuit, electrical connector, and component on the bike to see if I can see if anything else could be causing the ECM fuse to blow. I have just about decided that the ECM itself is bad, although a peek inside didn't reveal any evidence of it being smoked.
I did find a company online that specializes in diagnosis, repair and sales of ECM/ECU components, so a call to them could be in my future. For the time being, I am just watching Feebay for the correct one for my bike, hopefully one guaranteed not to be DOA.
I would also like to know about the charging issue, wanna make sure I don't smoke another one in the future.
An ECM from any 99-01 bike will interchange. Don't worry about it being exactly the same model and year. The chips within the ECM can vary, so keep that in mind. The different chips will all run the bike, but some may be for different combinations.

Have you tried unplugging both the stator wires, and the regulator wires? Maybe the jump from the car fried either or both of them.

Jumping from a car is very risky. You can do it with the car off, but I still don't feel it is very safe. Jumping from a running car will most certainly cause problems. I have seen also accidentally hooking up the battery backwards, or grounding the positive side of the circuit as reasons for ECM failure, or electrical problems.

Other than that, a good electrical diagram is a must. I have the fold out map style diagrams and they never translate well over e-mail, sorry.

Good luck...
Vicbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #19
motor_head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicbuilder View Post
An ECM from any 99-01 bike will interchange. Don't worry about it being exactly the same model and year. The chips within the ECM can vary, so keep that in mind. The different chips will all run the bike, but some may be for different combinations.

Have you tried unplugging both the stator wires, and the regulator wires? Maybe the jump from the car fried either or both of them.

Jumping from a car is very risky. You can do it with the car off, but I still don't feel it is very safe. Jumping from a running car will most certainly cause problems. I have seen also accidentally hooking up the battery backwards, or grounding the positive side of the circuit as reasons for ECM failure, or electrical problems.

Other than that, a good electrical diagram is a must. I have the fold out map style diagrams and they never translate well over e-mail, sorry.

Good luck...
Thanks Rylan, I did unplug the stator and regulator from the system with the same results. I actually didn't jump the bike from a car, but rather a battery charger on the 225amp start setting. I didn't figure this would be enough to fry anything, and at the time, the bike started and ran. I didn't really experience trouble until it sat, then I tried to start it with a new battery. Thanks for the ECM compatibility info. Before I spring for another ECM I think I'll check it with another known good battery.As someone said earlier, ya never know.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #20
motor_head

Well, I bit the bullet and bought another ECM from Feebay. I'll post the results as soon as I plug it in and hit the key. I'm biting my nails on this one. If I hit the key and hear another fuse pop, I think I'll have to be put in a padded cell...... Kudos to Dann for sending me an electrical troubleshooting guide for the bike. If it fails again, about the only thing I can think of is an internal short in a harness somewhere that I cant find or isolate.

Last edited by motor_head; 12-12-2012 at 10:15 AM.
motor_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement