relocated my key switch - Page 3 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 12-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #21
Raccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALStensby View Post
I installed the Digital Guard Dawg RFID. My favorite thing for it is I can start the bike and have it running and still lock/unlock my saddlebags. I took a 106 wedge cover a friend of mine wasn't using any more and put it on the left side so there's no key hole.
Looked into this because I have keyless ignition on my car and I like it...

Went to the Guard Dawg website anf looked it up for my 2012 CC...

$495!! A bit overpriced considering there is $100-150 worth of materials max!

They are awful proud of their stuff aren't they?

I'll stick with my $10 key thanks.

2012 Cross Country, Sunset Red/Silver
KlockWerks Flare Windshield
DIY Polycarbonate Lowers
Victory iPod Connection Kit
Victory Custom Logo Mirrors
DIY LED Interior Saddlebag lights
Jamestown Bronze Liberty Gremlin Bell
Victory Hydraulic Clutch Conversion
Kewlmetal Black Powdercoated Luggage Rack
Corbin Gunfighter
LED Driving/Aux Lights
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #22
BanditSRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post

Heck yeah, preach on! Because everything else we buy in this world, we buy purely for the cost of the materials...
Old 12-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #23
drummer12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspollack View Post
What happens if (when?) you're riding along, the fob falls out of your pocket, you stop for gas 100 miles later, shut the bike off, and fill-'er-up? Now you can't start up the bike, right? I'm with CR on this.
This same thing happened to my buddy Dave on our way from St. Augustine, FL to Charleston, SC back in 2009. He has the security fob for his H-D attached to a bungee cord. It fell out of his pocket and rode on his exhaust pipe for several miles. The security code worked great two days later when the dealership was able to provide it since he couldn't remember it.
drummer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #24
Raccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditSRT8 View Post
Heck yeah, preach on! Because everything else we buy in this world, we buy purely for the cost of the materials...
Cost of materials, labor, and other business expenses plus a reasonable profit is business.

Cost of materials, labor, and other business expenses plus a gargantuan profit is gouging.

Now I don't know the breakdown of the cost of making that keyless ignition sysem but, in my opinion, this particular product doesn't justify the price.

Amen

2012 Cross Country, Sunset Red/Silver
KlockWerks Flare Windshield
DIY Polycarbonate Lowers
Victory iPod Connection Kit
Victory Custom Logo Mirrors
DIY LED Interior Saddlebag lights
Jamestown Bronze Liberty Gremlin Bell
Victory Hydraulic Clutch Conversion
Kewlmetal Black Powdercoated Luggage Rack
Corbin Gunfighter
LED Driving/Aux Lights
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #25
CrossRoads
Administrator

Quote:
... never follow CR blindly into any topic. He fires off quickly without researching the topic he's responding to ;-)
I've owned an '05 Vette with factory keyless system. It would slowly drain the battery, and if it sat for a few days, I would have a dead battery, and consequently the keyless ignition had become a pain in the butt more than a convenience.

I have also used a wireless key fob on my XR for about six months, which showed the same issue of slowly draining the battery, but I found a band-aid fix and hooked up the bike to a trickle charger whenever I didn't ride it for a few days. However, one day as I was pulling into a parking lot, my bike shut off and would not restart. That was the day I had to figure out how to hot wire it to get it home, and the keyless ignition went off and I went back to the stock key.

You see, I've had plenty of experience with the keyless ignition, and I'm not just firing off quickly without doing my research. Sounds to me like you just like to bark at everything since you already know it all. Keep up the good work, Einstein.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #26
BanditSRT8

Quote:
Cost of materials, labor, and other business expenses plus a reasonable profit is business.

Cost of materials, labor, and other business expenses plus a gargantuan profit is gouging.

Now I don't know the breakdown of the cost of making that keyless ignition sysem but, in my opinion, this particular product doesn't justify the price.

Amen
But the $500 system isn't merely a keyless system, it's also an alarm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoads View Post
I've owned an '05 Vette with factory keyless system. It would slowly drain the battery, and if it sat for a few days, I would have a dead battery, and consequently the keyless ignition had become a pain in the butt more than a convenience.

I have also used a wireless key fob on my XR for about six months, which showed the same issue of slowly draining the battery, but I found a band-aid fix and hooked up the bike to a trickle charger whenever I didn't ride it for a few days. However, one day as I was pulling into a parking lot, my bike shut off and would not restart. That was the day I had to figure out how to hot wire it to get it home, and the keyless ignition went off and I went back to the stock key.

You see, I've had plenty of experience with the keyless ignition, and I'm not just firing off quickly without doing my research. Sounds to me like you just like to bark at everything since you already know it all. Keep up the good work, Einstein.

Well, you're kinda getting closer, but still not there.

A keyless-go system in a car is very different. All of my cars have them as well.

In a Corvette, it is VERY different. Your keyfob wasn't draining the battery... the proximity sensor constantly searching was.

With the Vette, your doors should automatically unlock/lock or at least arm/disarm the alarm when you get close to the car, or walk far away from it. The signal is always being searched for. Still, this is a defect because no battery should ever deplete after only a couple days of non-use. This should be covered under warranty. I do believe that there was a TSB for C5 and C6 Vettes (including Zo6's) that had this issue anyway.

The difference between cars and bikes with Keyless-go is that only a couple of cars have the ability to be started with a PIN code without the fob present. ALL keyless bikes can. THAT was the point that I was making... you made it sound like if you somehow do a bonehead thing to your fob, that you are stuck... I merely pointed out that this was in fact not the case. Ever.

Any motorcycle equipped with keyless-go AND an alarm needs to be on a battery tender if not run for more than a week or so. If it is keyless only, you shouldn't have much of an issue without the alarm. Both Ducati and Harley are famous for asking a lot of their starter motors to crank the bikes, so with both my Diavel and Road Glide, I've gotten used to plugging my bike in if they weren't going to leave the garage for over a week (which is very rare).
Old 12-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #27
CrossRoads
Administrator

Quote:
Well, you're kinda getting closer, but still not there.

A keyless-go system in a car is very different. All of my cars have them as well.

In a Corvette, it is VERY different. Your keyfob wasn't draining the battery... the proximity sensor constantly searching was.

With the Vette, your doors should automatically unlock/lock or at least arm/disarm the alarm when you get close to the car, or walk far away from it. The signal is always being searched for. Still, this is a defect because no battery should ever deplete after only a couple days of non-use. This should be covered under warranty. I do believe that there was a TSB for C5 and C6 Vettes (including Zo6's) that had this issue anyway.

The difference between cars and bikes with Keyless-go is that only a couple of cars have the ability to be started with a PIN code without the fob present. ALL keyless bikes can. THAT was the point that I was making... you made it sound like if you somehow do a bonehead thing to your fob, that you are stuck... I merely pointed out that this was in fact not the case. Ever.

Any motorcycle equipped with keyless-go AND an alarm needs to be on a battery tender if not run for more than a week or so. If it is keyless only, you shouldn't have much of an issue without the alarm. Both Ducati and Harley are famous for asking a lot of their starter motors to crank the bikes, so with both my Diavel and Road Glide, I've gotten used to plugging my bike in if they weren't going to leave the garage for over a week (which is very rare).
I've never spent a dime on mechanical keys, and they've never let me down. I've spend hundreds on key-less systems (be it included in the MSRP or be it paid as an aftermarket addition), and they have had hiccups, bugs, and have let me down. Theory's great, and I believed it in until I had to support the theory with my own pocket, and with the risk of shutting off while riding.

---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #28
GatorJoe
Lifetime Premium

Garage

When installed the Guard Dawg had to access the Battery anyway so added a Tender Harness while at it .. Although usually a Daily Rider been using the Tender Jr on all my rides for years with Great Battery life to show for it .. Will agree the Dawg price is high if buy at Site Price .. Caught mine in a Group Buy and was $269.00 for the System and (2) FOB's .. Happy with it, and only need the Key now for the Gas Tank and Saddlebags ..
Old 12-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #29
spoons-asmc

Garage
Default key

key for me, i have led lights with a remote, it ended up in the wash one day, lol and the romote still works

spoons
spoons-asmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #30
Jeepster

Quote:

Have been using Guard Dawg for almost a year without a problem.

Here's the website I got it from with a good price

http://www.2wheeltouring.net/dgdkeyless.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement