Trailors - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory General Discussion

Old 12-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Default Trailors

I was reading an op-ed in a bike rag today that was discussing touring bummers. A couple of the author's complaints were specific to trailoring. At one point, he came upon a toll road that was $5 for auto. They charged him $35 due to his trailor. On another road in Oregon, a cop forbid him to make a mountain pass while towing.

Anyone else have any issues like this? First time I ever heard of such a hassle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
Pckrfan

I know that from time to time, some states will check the trailers for brakes based on GWVR. I travel through Montana, Idaho and Utah in the winter sometimes towing our bikes and have never been stopped by the Staties in any of those jurisdictions. And some of the mountain passes are in excess of 8000 feet.
XC/XR heated tour seat & bag bars
Ness derby covers & Rad III mirrors
Avon heated grips, air horn and lotsa blacked out stuff. (Green Goblin artwork by Bad Boy Designs in Peoria AZ)

Artificial intelligence is absolutely 100% NO match for natural stupidity!
Pckrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
BThomas
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
I was reading an op-ed in a bike rag today that was discussing touring bummers. A couple of the author's complaints were specific to trailoring. At one point, he came upon a toll road that was $5 for auto. They charged him $35 due to his trailor. On another road in Oregon, a cop forbid him to make a mountain pass while towing.

Anyone else have any issues like this? First time I ever heard of such a hassle.
Oregon is so wet that a layer of ice forms under the snow on some mountain passes--it makes for the slickest roads you've ever driven. When that happens, chains or studs are required and autos towing trailers aren't allowed--the trailers often jack knife on the road and cause wrecks.

This doesn't happen too often and only on certain passes, but when it does, a guy would be a fool to try and tow a trailer...
2012 Cross Country--trunk at times, stereo/amp upgrade, Madstad Windshield bracket, old-man style heated seat/grips, RPW Exhaust/Stage 1 upgrade, Cycleops Cheese, side covers and primary insert, soft lowers, a bit of chrome
BThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
srenna54

He's talking about motorcycles pulling trailers.
srenna54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
RICZ

All three west coast states limit you to 55mph when towing a trailer. =(
Hey Saddle, what's a "trailor?" Is that what a mens' clothing store owner tows? =)
Old 12-07-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
BThomas
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srenna54 View Post
He's talking about motorcycles pulling trailers.
Oh...... My bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
2012 Cross Country--trunk at times, stereo/amp upgrade, Madstad Windshield bracket, old-man style heated seat/grips, RPW Exhaust/Stage 1 upgrade, Cycleops Cheese, side covers and primary insert, soft lowers, a bit of chrome
BThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #7
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
All three west coast states limit you to 55mph when towing a trailer. =(
Hey Saddle, what's a "trailor?" Is that what a mens' clothing store owner tows? =)
Excuse me, I wrote that after dining at the fine Mexican establishment down the street. They have most refreshing beverages there. Between the refreshments and the little red squiggly line that tells me "you're an idiot" not appearing beneath the word, I made up a new word. A "trailOr" is a trailer tOwed by a mOtOrcycle or a CanAm as it were.

As to the icy roads on the hilltops, I can attest to that. We were riding in Yosemite a couple years ago and I saw a nice route on a map I thought I'd try. There was a sign talking about needing chains and I thought "for a wet road?" Oh did I regret that decision...

Now off to figure out how to get my squiggly line back.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #8
RICZ

Frijoles and Dos Equis, eh? Don't fan the blankets. I like my definition of trailor better - what a tailor pulls behind his bike.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
DakotaRider

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricz View Post
frijoles and dos equis, eh?
yummmmmmmm!!!!! Hijack ... well, kinda

Current Bike:
2012 Victory - Pearl White XCT - Dutchess
Rapid City, SD
Previous Bikes:
02 Goldwing - Stream Silver Metallic GL-1800