My New Boardwalk - Page 3 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Boardwalk

Old 10-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #21
vic 8

Congrats! That is a beautiful scoot!
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #22
gary mcclanahan

Default Boardwalk, a crusing bike?

I have a 08 Hammer with 18000 miles. I find it hard to ride lets say a couple hundred miles at one time. Its not the bike for extended riding, I wouldnt think of riding it say 500 miles on a trip and then doing it the next day. My question is, could you do this on the Boardwalk? I love the looks of the new Boardwalk, but it basicly has the same rear suspention as the Hammer. I realize it doest have the aggressive riding position as the Hammer and the seat doest really look much different, so is it a bike that you could ride on a long trip?
gary mcclanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #23
CrossRoads
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary mcclanahan View Post
I have a 08 Hammer with 18000 miles. I find it hard to ride lets say a couple hundred miles at one time. Its not the bike for extended riding, I wouldnt think of riding it say 500 miles on a trip and then doing it the next day. My question is, could you do this on the Boardwalk? I love the looks of the new Boardwalk, but it basicly has the same rear suspention as the Hammer. I realize it doest have the aggressive riding position as the Hammer and the seat doest really look much different, so is it a bike that you could ride on a long trip?
Since the Boardwalk is the unofficial replacement for the Kingpin, and since the Kingpin was designed for longer distance travel than the Hammer, I would say it is safe to assume that the Boardwalk has inherited a similar DNA with the Kingpin. If that's the case you will be able to ride longer on the Boardwalk than on a Hammer. Not sure if someone has actually moved from a Hammer to a Boardwalk to give you a better comparison.

Also, the OP moved to a Boardwalk from a Cross Roads, and since he did not complain about comfort, if the Boardwalk is nearly as comfortable as the XR, then you would be in great shape riding the BW.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #24
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoads View Post
Since the Boardwalk is the unofficial replacement for the Kingpin, and since the Kingpin was designed for longer distance travel than the Hammer, I would say it is safe to assume that the Boardwalk has inherited a similar DNA with the Kingpin. If that's the case you will be able to ride longer on the Boardwalk than on a Hammer. Not sure if someone has actually moved from a Hammer to a Boardwalk to give you a better comparison.

Also, the OP moved to a Boardwalk from a Cross Roads, and since he did not complain about comfort, if the Boardwalk is nearly as comfortable as the XR, then you would be in great shape riding the BW.
People can and do tour on just about anything imaginable, doesn't make it cut out for the job.

The KP had a great suspension, ergonomic handlebars, a very good stock seat, tubeless tires, and the ability to add purposeful bags/trunk.

The Boardwalk has a low end suspension, beach bars, a scooped out seat, tube tires, and a couple of small saddlebags that are supposedly "lock and ride" with the purchase of a separate part. I'd love to see where they put the locks on those.

The BW is a cruiser designed to ride around town and look cute. If you want something proper for touring, buy an X bike. The patriarch of the Victory cruiser line is dead, long live the tourers...
Old 10-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #25
jcanrun

Quote:
To answer your question, I really don't know. The longest I've ridden in a day is 300 or so miles on my Roadglide and then Cross Roads. And that's with plenty of stops for sightseeing, bathroom, gas, food, etc.

I think you could ride 500 miles on a Boardwalk. Personally, I find the suspension comfortable even with it lowered. Adding a windshield would help as well with the wind. And, since I'm vertically challenged, the BW is easier for me to handle and move around, so that would make a difference for me at least. I am now even use to the mini beach bars (they're not as wide as true beach bars) in that I won't be changing them anytime soon. One thing needed is cruise control for a 500 mile ride.

As far as comparing comfort to the Cross Roads, it's a toss up. The CR had better rear suspension and took larger bumps better. I don't notice a difference in the front forks. But, the wide 16 wheels on the BW are pretty cushy on the road. The CR was better above 75 mph (for the obvious reason of the windshield). The BW feels peppier due to the lighter weight. I'm not a big tourer so can't really comment on that.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by jcanrun; 10-30-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: more comments
jcanrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:10 AM   #26
newoldrider

Very nice bike.

If money were no option I would have a Boardwalk in my garage right next to my cross country. Victory did an incredible job designing the look of the Boardwalk. It's classy yet very practical for cruising around on. Let us know how you like it as you rack up the miles...

Greg
newoldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #27
thegyn

Very nice! I got the black!
thegyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #28
Marius

Quote:
No way bw is good for touring. With 3.0 in of rear suspension travel thats less than the kp or the original hammer which had 3.9 in. And yes, this is a big deal for comfortable long range travel. Youre not going to last long when u feel the road too much. The bw is a very nice cruiser, i dont doubt, but no way would i switch to a bw from a kp or hammer for any kind of distance runs. If you're looking for something lighter and more nimble to tour on, you're looking in the wrong class of bikes. Check out adv tourers.

That said, I've done up to 500 miles a day on the Hammer. I'd do it again if I had to, just need to change the seat for next time.
1995 Mustang GT... Work in Progress...

Last edited by Marius; 01-09-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #29
thegyn

I agree that traveling on my BW for over 200 miles at one time is not too good on the back and other parts. I went from riding a street all my life to the cruiser and I would expect more from it. But it is great for cruising less than that and frequent stops. I would like to get a CR for longer drives but short distances nothing can beat the BW. The seat is the first thing that has to go. Whew! It makes you pay for every bump in the road.
thegyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #30
Lance
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanrun View Post
Just picked up a Boardwalk on Sunday. Here is a photo.
Wow, that's purdy.
1974 BMW R75/5
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement