Why pay for exhaust? - Page 2 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Vision Forum

Old 06-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #11
Firejedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisherman11 View Post
I posted on another site that I did this mod and a few guys are saying I am being cheap for not taking it to the dealer for a remap or Dyno check................ I did not reply to that issue but just because I did not spend a lot of money on my exhaust does not make me cheap....

Bill
Hey bfisherman,

I am on that other site too. People definitely have opinions about everything. I like the sound of the Thrush and am considering it myself. Did you do the work yourself?
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #12
bfisherman11

Yep with help from instructions on the vision sites I was able to do the work.
bfisherman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #13
AB Chief

I just put on the NESS big honkers and the twin sucker performance intake this week and I love the sound and the throttle response. Taking it in to remap once I can get a calibration card.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App
AB Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #14
A-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazinhawaii View Post
Absolutely no loss in low in grunt. In fact i have to say that's where the largest gains are. And as for the re-map, unless significant changes are made to intake/exhaust, the remap will only truly affect idle and full throttle conditions. Within the learning limits of the computer, the computer will adjust A/F ratio (using the O2 sensors) to the correct values during part throttle operation. That''s why, for me, I only see any popping at closed throttle deceleration. That's the great thing about EFI.

I kept thinking about taking pictures, but didn't. It is pretty simple if you have a cutoff wheel, welder, and 3-4 hours of time. I got the idea from a post on utube from someone who did a similar mod. As I said, I determined to try it, and if I didn't like it, I'd go get an aftermarket exhaust. Good thing I did! Saved a LOT of money. AND it got me out in the garage for a morning which is hard to do since I sold my last project car.

Derrick

Actually half_crazy is right. That's why yamaha uses the exup valve on thier exhaust, so you can get better low end torque. So I'm guessing your not able to lift the front wheel off the ground anymore. Damm!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #15
two speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisherman11 View Post
Yep with help from instructions on the vision sites I was able to do the work.
I lost the info of how to do the mod and the muffler numbers, Could you help me out with this.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #16
bfisherman11

How's this:
Thrush Mod:

Need:
(2) #24205 Thrush Glass Pak Mufflers 2 ¼” in/out and 31” OAL
(6) 8 or 10mm Hex Bolts w/12 washers and Nyloc nuts
(1) Roll of Strapping Material
(12) 4” Pipe/Hose Clamps
(2) 1”sq tubing cut about 6” long and used as a spacer at the back bracket mount point.
(6) 2” Pipe Clamp Brackets
(2) 4” Resonator Tips 2 ¼” x 4” x 9”
Procedure:
Remove Lower Plastic Panels from both sides.
Remove Stock Exhaust pipes by loosening main clamp, and 6 mounting bolts (3 per side)
Once the stock exhaust is off you have to cut the straps that hold on the heat shields so you can reuse them with new pipe/hose clamps. I used 4", you will need 6 of them.
Mount the Thrush Mufflers using stock Header to Muffler Clamps.
Secure tail end of muffler with Pipe strap, or new muffler straps to the old locations. You will need new 8 or 10mm bolts as the originals are welded to the old pipes.
Once you have the pipes secured and clamped down tight, Install the Tips (whichever one's you decide to go with).
Install the stock heat shields over the new pipes using 6 Pipe Clamps (4")

That's pretty much it. Some of you that have done it might want to add steps I missed or a technique that you used that was different.

It took me about 4 hours. After your first ride, re-tighten the header to muffler clamp (while hot) to ensure there are no leaks. Make sure your tips are very tight, I actually safety wired mine to the frame so they wouldn't slide off with vibration over time.
bfisherman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #17
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

Well I don't know if I lost low end torque as it sure don't feel like it in the seat from my mod but I know without a doubt that I am still getting mid 40s on MPG, the bike SOUNDS like it should, nice low end rumble but nothing like my S1L1's on my TC and I DID add Lloydz 2nd upper air filter with no remap. The engine became more noticable with just the muffler mod, adding the filter finished the job and yes, it does seem to run cooler or my right leg has gotten used to the heat. It will set your butt back now where before it would lumber off the line and never really felt like it had any real Uuumpphhhh....

Looking at the 2011 muffler design, I chose to drill the exterior of the muffler tip, 7 - 1/2" holes after removing the black flange from the tip. NOT the center baffle which was removed on this thread. I read some 6, 7 and some 8 holes from differnt riders. Went down the middle with 7. The bike sounds and feels awsome and cost was at 100 bucks because I bought the filter.. Already had the drill bit. I get VERY few backfires, usually only if I drop off WOT to close. Downshifting has a little, subtle, no big pops or anything. Sounds almost identicle to my TC with has the Ness BigSucker, Stage 1 flash and S1L1 pipes which look about like the thrush I believe.

So, if you want to try something free, drill first... If you like it leave it. I would add the Lloydz filter if your doing any mod. As for rich lean, my pipe tips look about like my TC do, maybe a little more dark. I am about to pull the plugs as I wanted 1000 miles on the mod to see how they're looking. Doing it RIGHT is a fuel controller, dyno along with the exhaust and intake WITH CAMS! BUT, funds don't allow that right now. Will be doing cams sooner than later and THEN will get all the widgets in line.. :-) Good luck on which ever way you go.

Safe ridin,
Tim
2011 White Vision - Nuvi 550, Lowers, Lloydz 2nd filter, Vic perf filter, CB/Icom, 96 Brake LED's, Clear Signal lens/Switchbacks, VIC Hwy Pegs, Stebel Horn, 7Jurock 15" Shield, PCV, Lloyd ATS and Variable intake, Ness honkers

2004 V92 TC - S1 flash, level 1 slip-on, Ness big sucker K&N, ISO Grips, 4x1.5 Highway Hawg Risers, extra chrome (never too much), JM 2k CB 4' antena, Mustang seat, HD Front TS & Lowers, OD Pulley

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va

Last edited by Tims_04V92TC; 12-06-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Tims_04V92TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:00 AM   #18
ridealittle

i put 20" thrush in my mufflers and the low end power is much better. it used to get jerky at around 2000 rpm and now it will pull smooth down to 1800. i rarely get that low on rpm but even in the low 2000's it runs much smoother.
in order of ownership, sears compact scooter, honda 305 scrambler, honda 160 dream , triumph 500 trophy trail, honda cb450, sportster, honda f750, 2nd sportster, harley flh, harley super glide, 3rd sportster, bmw k1000, harley low rider, 2nd harley super glide, harley heratage, harley road king,
thats just the street bikes!
ridealittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:44 AM   #19
VictoryGreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims_04V92TC View Post
Well I don't know if I lost low end torque as it sure don't feel like it in the seat from my mod but I know without a doubt that I am still getting mid 40s on MPG, the bike SOUNDS like it should, nice low end rumble but nothing like my S1L1's on my TC and I DID add Lloydz 2nd upper air filter with no remap. The engine became more noticable with just the muffler mod, adding the filter finished the job and yes, it does seem to run cooler or my right leg has gotten used to the heat. It will set your butt back now where before it would lumber off the line and never really felt like it had any real Uuumpphhhh....

Looking at the 2011 muffler design, I chose to drill the exterior of the muffler tip, 7 - 1/2" holes after removing the black flange from the tip. NOT the center baffle which was removed on this thread. I read some 6, 7 and some 8 holes from differnt riders. Went down the middle with 7. The bike sounds and feels awsome and cost was at 100 bucks because I bought the filter.. Already had the drill bit. I get VERY few backfires, usually only if I drop off WOT to close. Downshifting has a little, subtle, no big pops or anything. Sounds almost identicle to my TC with has the Ness BigSucker, Stage 1 flash and S1L1 pipes which look about like the thrush I believe.

So, if you want to try something free, drill first... If you like it leave it. I would add the Lloydz filter if your doing any mod. As for rich lean, my pipe tips look about like my TC do, maybe a little more dark. I am about to pull the plugs as I wanted 1000 miles on the mod to see how they're looking. Doing it RIGHT is a fuel controller, dyno along with the exhaust and intake WITH CAMS! BUT, funds don't allow that right now. Will be doing cams sooner than later and THEN will get all the widgets in line.. :-) Good luck on which ever way you go.

Safe ridin,
Tim
Could you explain/educate me on the VV filter subject:
Ness sells a "twin sucker front filter", also sells Vision performance kit. I'm new to VV, so, doesn't the bike have ONE air filter?
Also, Lloyds has the "Vision Intake Filter". Would that replace the stock filter or is it an additional filter?
I'm understanding and following what is being said about the exhaust and the choices for that, but I'm just not getting the air filter/number of/location of filters.... BTW, mine's a 2008 Vic Vision. I bought used and believe it is all stock.
Then once I get that understood.... Is the fuel controller (Lloyd's, or power commader or big shot II) necessary?

Thank you all for your time.....(hey, I'm an electrician, not a mechanic still on my learning curve). Cheers.... Greg
VictoryGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:46 AM   #20
VictoryGreg

VV is for Victory Vision.
VictoryGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement