from full synthetic back to Victory oil ??? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Oil and Lube

Old 10-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
jaysonL

Default from full synthetic back to Victory oil ???

Would that cause any problems ? I know at one time, that it was said that once you switched to full synthetic you shouldn't switch back to conventional. I remember someone telling me it was hard on seals and various delicate internals. But I know today there are numerous syn/blends on the market. So, has anyone done this, or have any real knowledge of whether it may be a bad idea ?
Kingpin tour tins
jaysonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
half_crazy
Lifetime Premium

Most everything you have heard about synthetic oil is a myth. Synthetic is perfectly compatible with petroleum oil.
bodies, RPW Thor pipe, Lloydz ECU, PC-III, Rivera Pro clutch spring, 31 tooth pulley w/Buell belt.
half_crazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
OkieHoss
Lifetime Premium

No problem...
Old 10-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
Pckrfan

I thought Victory 10-40 was a semi-syn anyway.....no?
XC/XR heated tour seat & bag bars
Ness derby covers & Rad III mirrors
Avon heated grips, air horn and lotsa blacked out stuff. (Green Goblin artwork by Bad Boy Designs in Peoria AZ)

Artificial intelligence is absolutely 100% NO match for natural stupidity!
Pckrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
lunaticrider

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by half_crazy View Post
Most everything you have heard about synthetic oil is a myth. Synthetic is perfectly compatible with petroleum oil.
This is true...

Sent from Hell....
Old 10-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
visionjohnny

Guys stick with one oil. Do Not keep switching.

Please add your city and state after the model of bike you have. Click user pc at top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
handyhoward

Garage

Your girlfriend might care what lubricates her, but rest assured your engine does not... as long as it is lubricated.

2013 Indian Vintage Chief FE... #7 of 25

2011 Victory Vision Tour Premium...
handyhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #8
slickvic
Premium Member

Victory oil is a syn-blend but I have to ask why you are switching back? What are you switching back from?
2011 Cross Country. D&D's wrapped, VM1DR cams, PC5, LLoyds filter and PTS (Timing wheel) 115/115 by KMC. Klock Werks flip shield, RFPBR300x4 amp and Polk MM651's. HMD Black Pull Backs with Victory performance grips. PIAA Led3 driving lights.
slickvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
Pop

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyhoward View Post
Your girlfriend might care what lubricates her, but rest assured your engine does not... as long as it is lubricated.
You are describing a classier girl than I am acquainted with.

As far as the engine goes, I tend to agree. Peeps get way too anal about the earl in their pearl. Recommended viscosity and detergent rating are both worth maintaining since oil pumps interact with varying types to different degrees of efficiency. Will using a different viscosity or detergent rating motor oil lunch the mill? Not in the short term for sure. Any motor oil beats no motor oil.

The flip side is that if you want to minimize variables then using the same product over and over is in keeping with that effort.

What I don't know is what effect various non specified motor oils will have on Victory clutches. I'm just too green with this brand and looking forward to the learning curve in the primary. As opposed to the engine which is metal, polymers and some standard fibrous gasket compounds, all common materials and all forgiving of motor oil flavors, I don't know what effect non specified oils will have on the fibrous components of the clutch. I know what I can get away with in a Harley primary but the requirements of the Victory clutch are not identical. Although the basic execution is the same the requirements for viscosity, the effect of oil mixture on the fibres under varying temperature and pressure conditions and who knows what else may make using a specified product necessary to clutch performance and/or longevity.

Until I have put my grubby little hands all over the Victory clutch I'm inclined to be particular with what I coat it with.
Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #10
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop View Post
Until I have put my grubby little hands all over the Victory clutch I'm inclined to be particular with what I coat it with.
Millions of single oil, wet clutches in bikes outside the Harley and Ducati lines.

Simple answer is don't use oils specifying "friction modifiers." Outside of those, I've use numerous cheap auto oils over the years and never had a problem.

Dry clutches SUCK. They are easy enough to change, but they burn plates so quickly and easily and they have a tendency to moan and grab and slip, there is just no reason...save that Duc folk like loud clutches to save lives...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement