A new Cross Roads owner - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 12-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
CrossRoader
Premium Member

Default A new Cross Roads owner

I have had my 2013 Cross Roads Classic for a couple of weeks picked it up yesterday from it's first service at which time the dealer installed my D&D pipes, performance air filter, stage one flash, tach etc. I did a 200 mile ride today in the mountains and am starting to get used to the XR.

I am a retired Canadian living in Vancouver but I spend the winters in Palm Desert CA. I did not ride for many years but after I retired and moved to the desert for the winters I re discovered my passion for motorcycling on the great roads in the area.

I have owned several bikes in my life but 4 of them were Triumphs, 2 Bonnies years ago and recently an America and a Thunderbird 1700. I absolutely loved the Thunderbird but unfortunately I got one that had reliability problems and last winter (my main riding season) the bike spent 3 months in the shop waiting for parts from the UK. I decided that I was going to change bikes to avoid any more frustration. I am also doing more 2 and 3 night trips and the Thunderbird is really more of a muscle cruiser than a touring bike. I have an older Honda VTX 1300 in Vancouver for summer trips.

I am an analytical type of guy so I did a spreadsheet comparing soft baggers with all the things that were important to me in a new bike. The list included power, touring range. luggage capacity. ABS, value for $ etc and the XR won easily.

I have to admit I struggled a bit with the XR style and looks as I am a bit of a traditionalist and prefer old style bikes. The LE or Classic are more to my taste although I haven't learned to love the back end yet Most people seem to think it's a drop dead gorgeous bike so it must be my weird taste.......

I am enjoying riding the XR a lot. It is way more comfortable than the Thunderbird and once I get an aftermarket seat I think I will be good for long days in the saddle. The fit and finish on the bike is excellent and shows real quality. I am really enjoying things I have not had before like cruise control, heated grips, multi display computer etc.

I was hoping that I would be satisfied with the power and torque produced by the 106 with the D&D's air filter and stage 1 flash. It's certainly not bad but I miss the raw torque of the TBird with the big bore kit. The standard Thunderbird 1700 joke is that the don't include a gear indicator as they don't need to .....it rolls on pretty well in any gear and virtually at any revs. I will definitely go the Lloyds Cam route but I believe I have just missed out on Kevin X's latest cam party in California so it may be a while before I can get it done.

Anyway I have already learned a lot from reading this board. I must have read hundreds of posts before I made up my mind to buy a Vic and it was great to have all that knowledge and experience available to me.

Please be patient with my rookie questions as there are sure to be many of them.

Peter Kelly

Last edited by CrossRoader; 12-10-2012 at 12:32 AM.
CrossRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
petegtsv10

I came from a 125 cubic inch Vulcan and was very disappointed with the XR power at first. I like everything else about the XR, so overall I prefer the Vic. With cams, PCV/At , Lloydz filter and D&Ds, the XR is a faster bike, but does not have nearly the low-end TQ of the Vulcan. (141 ft/lbs at 2200 rpm, I seem to recall) After a while, you'll forget about the lack of low end and love the XR for what it is!!
FFR 1965 Cobra 427
2011 BMW 135i convertible
1941 Chevy hotrod truck
petegtsv10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
sparkyo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoader View Post
I have had my 2013 Cross Roads Classic for a couple of weeks picked it up yesterday from it's first service at which time the dealer installed my D&D pipes, performance air filter, stage one flash, tach etc. I did a 200 mile ride today in the mountains and am starting to get used to the XR.

I am a retired Canadian living in Vancouver but I spend the winters in Palm Desert CA. I did not ride for many years but after I retired and moved to the desert for the winters I re discovered my passion for motorcycling on the great roads in the area.

I have owned several bikes in my life but 4 of them were Triumphs, 2 Bonnies years ago and recently an America and a Thunderbird 1700. I absolutely loved the Thunderbird but unfortunately I got one that had reliability problems and last winter (my main riding season) the bike spent 3 months in the shop waiting for parts from the UK. I decided that I was going to change bikes to avoid any more frustration. I am also doing more 2 and 3 night trips and the Thunderbird is really more of a muscle cruiser than a touring bike. I have an older Honda VTX 1300 in Vancouver for summer trips.

I am an analytical type of guy so I did a spreadsheet comparing soft baggers with all the things that were important to me in a new bike. The list included power, touring range. luggage capacity. ABS, value for $ etc and the XR won easily.

I have to admit I struggled a bit with the XR style and looks as I am a bit of a traditionalist and prefer old style bikes. The LE or Classic are more to my taste although I haven't learned to love the back end yet Most people seem to think it's a drop dead gorgeous bike so it must be my weird taste.......

I am enjoying riding the XR a lot. It is way more comfortable than the Thunderbird and once I get an aftermarket seat I think I will be good for long days in the saddle. The fit and finish on the bike is excellent and shows real quality. I am really enjoying things I have not had before like cruise control, heated grips, multi display computer etc.

I was hoping that I would be satisfied with the power and torque produced by the 106 with the D&D's air filter and stage 1 flash. It's certainly not bad but I miss the raw torque of the TBird with the big bore kit. The standard Thunderbird 1700 joke is that the don't include a gear indicator and they don't need to .....it rolls on pretty well in any gear and virtually at any revs. I will definitely go the Lloyds Cam route but I believe I have just missed out on Kevin X's latest cam party in California so it may be a while before I can get it done.

Anyway I have already learned a lot from reading this board. I must have read hundreds of posts before I made up my mind to buy a Vic and it was great to have all that knowledge and experience available to me.

Please be patient with my rookie questions as there are sure to be many of them.

Peter Kelly
hi peter, welcome to the victory club. i too gave up my 2012 t-bird storm but i never had any issues. i rode harleys for years but grew tired of the "have to be a bad ass" to ride harley scene. bought the t-bird and you had the best name for it. a muscle cruiser for sure...i called it a torque monster. it was great but definitely not a touring bike. i got the xr le (#105). i do like the bike but get frustrated with the lack of support, by both Polaris and the aftermarket. however, the latter is slowly coming along. i have done most mods myself and recently added the cobra controller. without opening that can of worms so far I am happy with the results. kinda with you on the rear of the bike. love the led light but the way the rear sticks way out is a little weird. best of luck and ride safe!
Old 12-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #4
TNXR

I came from an 800 suzuki M50 and love the muscle cruisers and the T-bird was on my short list but I knew any thing I bought I would have to put on a sissy bar, windshield, and some sort of luggage. That is when I started looking at the XR and it had everything I needed for mostly local 2-up riding with a few week long trips each year. I expected going form a 50 ci engine to a 106 would be huge difference but I too was a little dissapointed. I love the upper end power but down low my 800 zuki seems more responsive and quicker. Still love my XR so that is why I am keeping both bikes.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #5
Pop

Garage

Enjoy the XR.
I am tracking with you about the bike's behind. I have had my Cross Country Tour since October and still I excuse away the cartoonish stretch to myself. More than I can recall with my other brand and model choices I tell myself that the bike is a product of committee compromises.
The good news for me is that the tail of the bike isn't what I see 90% of the time. I get the benefit the fender stretch offers by way of saddlebag volume, increased rear wheel suspension travel and the tails contribution to a structural geometry that offers my bulk a more comfortable riding position than other bikes.
As far as the looks go I fall back on the opening of that classic movie Gumball Rally which included the great line "And now my friend the first rule of Italian driving ... What'sa behind me izza not important."

Where I lead me I will travel
Where I need me I will call me
I'm no fool I'll be ready
God knows I will be
And in the meantime make a little money
And buy a little mercy

That was written by Townes Van Zandt
Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
joseph
Lifetime Premium

Tell you what. I live in the area, lets run them side by side so you can see the differeance in a bike with cams. Also your welcome to take mine for a ride if youd like to feel the differance the cams make.

2012 XCT
joseph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
abqhudson

The CR IS the very best Victory.
abqhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
slickvic
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqhudson View Post
The CR IS the very best Victory.
The CR is nice. The Boardwalk is really nice too. I even like the Vision, Alot! Sorry, but the Cross Country is the best bike!
2011 Cross Country. D&D's wrapped, VM1DR cams, PC5, LLoyds filter and PTS (Timing wheel) 115/115 by KMC. Klock Werks flip shield, RFPBR300x4 amp and Polk MM651's. HMD Black Pull Backs with Victory performance grips. PIAA Led3 driving lights.
slickvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:51 AM   #9
sixshooter_45

Garage
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickvic View Post
The CR is nice. The Boardwalk is really nice too. I even like the Vision, Alot! Sorry, but the Cross Country is the best bike!
There both very nice bikes but the XCT is the top of Victory's stock line up and it's the best bike!

Blue Thunder Garage!

Color: Boardwalk Blue; list of accessories.
sixshooter_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
Donzo

I feel that I must add my UNBIASED opinion - The CR is in fact the best Victory. There, discussion ended.

Advertisement