Victory Cross Country Recall - Page 2 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 06-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #11
mxfan69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
Everyone here may want to hold off a bit. According to another Victory forum, this is not yet "official" which is why they don't have anyone's VIN #'s associated with the bulletin. Basically, it appears that the "bulletin" has not yet been posted on Victory's internal database so calling them at this point won't get us anywhere (as we have seen).
Good point. New to Victory's and have not even had time to really ride ours since purchased so this was the last thing I wanted to read about. However, before hitting the panic button and calling my dealer, I read your post and sometimes patience is the best avenue.
mxfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 11:35 PM   #12
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Unless you can move the bars without a whole lot of effort; there's no big deal going on. Trust me, if this was as bad as some people make it out to be, the owner of the bike would be down at the dealership asking them some questions because the bars would be moving around on them.
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #13
mxfan69

Had a message on the answering machine from the dealer requesting mine be brought in as the manuf date fell in the range. Worked good for me as I was already scheduled for the 500 mile first service yesterday.

I watched thru the shop bay door and two mech's hooked scales (kind'a like a fish scale) to the handle bars, one on each side. They marked the bars near the riser clamps and both lifted upward on the scales until both scales read 50lbs each. The bars didn't move, one guy gave me a thumbs up as the other checked the throttle (main part I DID NOT like was it being hooked to my throttle/tube) to make sure it was not in a bind. They gave me a copy of the paperwork and said goodbye.

I was a little confused by the pounds of force used as I swear the first service guy said the service recall said 50lbs of force total (25 per side right?). So I am thinking about it correct, right, they pulled both scales to 50lbs EACH, that makes 100lbs of force they put on the bars......right? Oh well, eitherway they did not move
mxfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #14
CrossRoads
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxfan69 View Post
... So I am thinking about it correct, right, they pulled both scales to 50lbs EACH, that makes 100lbs of force they put on the bars......right? Oh well, eitherway they did not move
You are correct. Two applications of 50 pounds each result in a total applied force of 100 pounds. They might be applying more force than what the minimum is in order to make sure you're well over the minimum requirement. Safety first!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #15
dbrock950

It's official... I got my recall notice in the mail yesterday. My bars seem to be solid, so I'm not going to worry too much but I will make sure to get the bike in as soon as reasonable.

2011 Black XC
Tualatin, Or
dbrock950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:23 AM   #16
RedRocker
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Same here. Third paragraph in the recall letter states:

[B]What Victory and your dealer will do:
Victory has issued Safety Recall Bulletin V-11-01 to all Victory dealers, with instructions required to test and replace defective riser/clamp assemblies that provide insufficient clamping force. Repairs will be made by any authorized Victory motorcycle dealer at no cost to you. If handlebar riser/clamp replacement is required, the actual repair should take under 2 hours to perform; however, it may take longer due to service scheduling requirements.

Calling my shop later today.

2014 Sonic Blue/Silver XCT
Lloydz VM1-DR Cams/ATS/Air Filter/.25 Turn/PCV/Vic BlkTip Tri-Ovals/Tuned by KMC Powersports: 111/112 CR's H/L HID Kit/Glenda LED's/Hyperlites/Stebel Air Horn/Vic Black Billet Floorboards/Primary&Cam Cover

2011 XC-Traded
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #17
Ranman

Got my letter yesterday. I went out per the letter and pulled up on the bars...seems pretty solid but i will take it in at some point.
Suzuki GT750 (Water Buffalo) Purple/White
1973 Kawasaki 90 street (1st bike)Kawasaki Green
Ranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #18
texantildeath

Default Here's is what I was told....

I took my XC in for the recall (as Victory said it was on their list). The tech checked it and said they were good. I asked what the recall was in reference to and he stated the following:

There were a few bikes that had problems with the bushings that the handlebar risers mounted in to. These are rubber bushings that have steel outer and inner sleeves. They are pressed into the triple tree with 8,000lbs+ of force. The "test" for failure is to pull up and pull down on the bars with 50lbs of force. So far, they have not had any bikes that required repair.

This sounded a bit strange, but the issue seems to be that the bushing could be defective and would allow to riser to rattle around and/or slip.

So, as one other post stated, you can give the bars a strong pull and if they don't move -- you are probably good.
texantildeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #19
Bastrop70

Called Victory today 8/4/11. They said the recall is complete.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #20
bcflyguy
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Send a message via MSN to bcflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionjohnny View Post
Victory Cross Country Recall. A recent recall announcement filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration include reports of flawed motorcycle handlebar assemblies on certain Victory Cross Country motorcycles from the 2011 model year that could cause riders to suddenly lose control. Problem comes from improperly machined handlebar clamps or risers, and as a result the clamps could allow the bars to move or slip unexpectedly with such a sudden movement of the handlebars possibly leading to a crash. The recall affects 840 bikes built from Jan. 1 through April 11 of this year. Polaris says its dealers will replace defective riser and clamp assemblies free of charge. The recall is expected to begin this month. Owners may contact Victory at 888-704-5290.
Are there any other recalls recently on 2012 XTC. Can a Canadian bike get the recall done in the USA???
bcflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement