Wrist pain from handlebar angle - Page 5 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 12-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #41
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
I put on my Ness Modular Cross Country Ape Handlebars. These are "not" Ape bars. They are modular (adjustable pullback angle).

Hopefully I'll be riding tomorrow and let you know how they feel. They do look good, but they better for "what they cost". KEN
Lookin' good Ken!

Yeah. They are expensive but what isn't these days. Looks like you got some decent pullback from them. I would still call these apes but I would revise it to medium apes. Not the taller 16" apes Ness also sells.

I got the chrome version through CC for the discount. Who did you buy these blacked-out style from. I would have still gone with the chrome ones because of the style I'm using on my bike but the black ones offer a nice contrast with the bolts on the L bracket.

Well, I guess I better finish my coffee, take the dogs for a walk, and get busy in the garage as well.
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #42
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Got the bars on and buttoned up. As I sat there adjusting the bars and finding the sweet spot just for me I started wondering if I didn't make a mistake with these bars. The other bars came back a foot from the tip of the fairing; these came back 7-9" so I lost some pullback. The actual height from the floorboard to the end of the grip was relatively unchanged.

What made me decide to keep them was how the grip angle was just right for me because of all the adjustments possible and because the grip's were a little farther away; I had to lean forward which took some weight off my tail bone which is a good thing. If, on a long trip, I wanted more pullback I could always set it up similar to how orbiker did so I'm calling this one a win.

The clutch cable and the brake line are at the far end of their possible capability though. I will be looking into replacing both with plenty of extra length in case I want to go to taller bars at some point.

BTW; something I learned a long time ago on finding the right bars for you is to close your eyes and reach out like you are going to put your hands on bars then open your eyes and see what the angle is. You could do this with drum sticks, rulers, anything you have. In the case of these particular bars; it is possible to adjust them to that sweet spot so it negates any wrist pain which is how this thread got started. Unfortunately it isn't possible to try all the different bars like it was in the old days when brick and mortar shops stocked a bunch of them to try in your hands.

I found my Biketronics speakers were blown so it will be a little longer before I can take a road test. Gonna change out the adapters while waiting on the replacement speakers that are under warranty (fortunately).
Old 12-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #43
orbiker

I did a 200 mile ride today in 45* weather (with a little mist once in a while) to test out the bars and blow out a few cobwebs (in my head). I think I've got the angle right on the money. I sat on the bike in the shop yesterday after I got them bolted on the bike (and before I buttoned up the fairing) for 5 minutes or so to hopefully find the right spot. After I thought they were good, I took a break to relax away from the bike. Then I came back and sat on the bike. They still felt good, so, they must be in the right spot. They is not much adjusting after the fairing is back on.

I bought the bars from Ness through GCMC. I decided to get black because most of the time the old chrome bars would look black from the reflection anyway. Plus the wires blend it with the bars. It's not worth all the work to put the wires inside the bars because the radio and cruise wires will still be out. The wire on my old Road King were inside the bars and that cleaned up the front end real nice.

It's too bad Victory couldn't have put a decent set of bars on the bike to begin with.

Some of my Rides

Coast to Coast trip of a Lifetime
From Oregon to the Grand Canyon and beyond
Scenic Alaska on a Harley
Touring the Rocky Mts. on a Harley
orbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #44
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

I agree. It would have been so much better and at almost zero cost to set up the bars correctly in the first place so none of this would be necessary for some of us.

GCMC?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #45
orbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBob View Post
I agree. It would have been so much better and at almost zero cost to set up the bars correctly in the first place so none of this would be necessary for some of us.

GCMC?
GCMC is my brother's shop. Victory, Polaris snowmobiles and the best aftermarket HD shop in the Northwest. They love to build big motors for Harleys and Victory's and they are good at it. KEN

Some of my Rides

Coast to Coast trip of a Lifetime
From Oregon to the Grand Canyon and beyond
Scenic Alaska on a Harley
Touring the Rocky Mts. on a Harley
orbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #46
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
GCMC is my brother's shop. Victory, Polaris snowmobiles and the best aftermarket HD shop in the Northwest. They love to build big motors for Harleys and Victory's and they are good at it. KEN
Well; that's definitely handy! Lucky you! A brother with a bike shop is always a good thing...
Old 12-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #47
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Got the bars and VStream WS on. Got the tallest shield. I wouldn't go any lower than this.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #48
Desert Dave

Bbob

What are your initial impressions of the bars? Good choice or are you going to need more windshield time to see?

Thanks,
D2
Old 12-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #49
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
Bbob

What are your initial impressions of the bars? Good choice or are you going to need more windshield time to see?

Thanks,
D2
Feels pretty good. It does force me to lean forward more; even to the point of not needing the backrest. This is not a bad thing for me personally because for whatever reason; my dang tailbone doesn't like to be sat on for very long.

I think they are fine for what I want them for but for touring I think the HMD bars would be better. Especially if they were $50 less. At $300 I think the HMD bars would be a solid choice for those looking for comfort, better wrist angle, and good looks. At $350 I would just buy the Ness bars again. Hard to beat that adjustable grip angle for the price. Then again I did buy the Ness bars on sale and got the $50 gift certificate which made the Ness bars $354.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #50
depot picker
Lifetime Premium

Youra are mounted a lot higher than mine. I'm still tweaking the handles around some. I may even raise them a bit higher.
Passenger arm rests and handles, driver back rest
Lloydz filter, 1 1/8 hole drilled in muffler baffles,
Harley lugage rack, Ness modular apes
depot picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement