Fuel / gas gauge inaccuracy - Page 10 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 12-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #91
Pop

Garage

If a speedo is off it could land you a ticket, or put you in the bad graces of a Peterbilt behind you that is trying to do 75 in a 75.
If your ammeter is wrong you could be on the verge of electrical meltdown with no clue.
Oil pressure gauge looks good while the pump is failing? There goes a few grand in motor rebuild.

I can't understand why we put up with gauges lying. I'd rather have old school no gauge than pay for something that gives bad info.

It's Pavlovian in Americans anyway to be forgiving of fuel gauges that are all over the map. Car companies told us for decades the favor they were doing us making sure we had a "few" gallons left when we started bumping up against E. Before the advent of data point collection systems when it was a float on a wire hanger doing the reporting I could understand the inconsistencies but it's become gospel that fuel information is supposed to skew on the side of having all kinds of spare gas. If that malarkey weren't bad enough here we are making excuses for a manufacturers failure to deliver and not only excusing that kind of shoddy workmanship but defending it.

I call BS. I'm a big boy and can do my own math. I sure don't want or need Victory or Ford to babysit my fuel fill up habits. As far as protecting the pump, bigger snake oil salesmen than Victory have dragged out that old saw. If that pump is that dicey, what the bejeezus are they doing putting it in a gas tank? It needs its own little coolant jacket or at the very least it shouldn't be relying on continuous immersion in boom juice to keep it functional. Pop was born, just not yesterday. Look here Vic. Either give it to me straight or don't waste my time.

A product manufacturer should understand that the place not to screw the pooch is the user interface. If Victory can't engineer a solution to the relationship between a gauge the user reads and a tank that contains what is between the user and a walkabout, then they need new engineers not mumbo jumbo. I don't tell my customers that "close is good" or " that's just how it is". I tell them that if it meets spec but they are not happy then I will find out what it's going to take to meet expectation and will give them options, or if it doesn't meet spec, I'll fix it on my nickel. Period.

Maybe this is one of those " it would cost us an extra fifty dollars a unit to implement a programming algorithm to correct for typical tank profiles" to which Pop says "OK, tack 100 onto the price. I'm good with you boys making a half a yard extra for providing me accurate data instead of feeding me crap for chump change."

We can't help it
We just keep moving
It's been that way since long ago
Since the stone age chasing the great herds
We mostly go where we have to go

That was written by James McMurtry
Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #92
JMcKeown

Send a message via Skype™ to JMcKeown

Show me a bike manufacturer that has accurate gauges. When I get to 3/4 empty is time for a break as well as a fillup. No big deal. Lots of gas stations around. I'm certainly not getting stressed out over the accuracy of my gas guage.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #93
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNXR View Post
I have run my tank down to the low fuel light 3 times now and the tank took about 4.2 gallons to fill it up each time. This was around the 170 mile mark on two of those fill ups but one was at about 135 miles but still roughly a little over 4 gallons to fill it up so go figure! My cheap little suzuki has no fuel gauage but the low fuel light comes on at around the 170 mark every time (bike gets about 52 mpg's).
This might be by design because the fuel pump is cooled by the gas in the tank. Run it too low too often and the fuel pump will fail.

Mine does about the same thing and I know to use both the mileage and the gauge to determine when I should get gas. The gauge is consistent so it is reliable for me.

I also use the mpg gauge to determine how many miles I have left on a tank of fuel. If I have been hot rodding it too much or just doing mostly in town riding; my mileage has gone down.
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #94
vagabondjpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
You gas gauge is off by 10% or you speedometer?

60= 66 or 60=54

That is unsatisfactory and should not be "lived with"
60=54

Irritating but there is no adjustment for it.

Ride safe.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #95
spoons-asmc

Garage
Default gauge

what did you guys before they had gas gauges on motorcycles?,, i dont need some dumb ass light to tell when i need gas ,lol , simple 40 mpg, 160 miles, gas time, i can go extra miles if i have to,
i dont like xr gas gauge. drops way too fast, so i dont use it
spoons
spoons-asmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #96
drummer12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoons-asmc View Post
what did you guys before they had gas gauges on motorcycles?
I used a petcock. It was always accurate.
drummer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #97
petegtsv10

People talk about having a $20K bike and the gas gauge isn't accurate.
People who buy a $150K Porsche Turbo get a gauge that won't move from empty if you only pump a few gallons. (this anomaly is written about in the owner's manual) The gauge is absolutely accurate from full to empty, but doesn't move at all when 3-4 gallons are added at empty. (and, that's nearly a quarter of a tank!) Anyone care to explain why a company with the engineering credentials of Porsche designed that?
FFR 1965 Cobra 427
2011 BMW 135i convertible
1941 Chevy hotrod truck
petegtsv10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:38 PM   #98
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegtsv10 View Post
People talk about having a $20K bike and the gas gauge isn't accurate.
People who buy a $150K Porsche Turbo get a gauge that won't move from empty if you only pump a few gallons. (this anomaly is written about in the owner's manual) The gauge is absolutely accurate from full to empty, but doesn't move at all when 3-4 gallons are added at empty. (and, that's nearly a quarter of a tank!) Anyone care to explain why a company with the engineering credentials of Porsche designed that?
Dunno. Might go on the Porsche forum and ask to get an answer to that one.
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #99
petegtsv10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBob View Post
Dunno. Might go on the Porsche forum and ask to get an answer to that one.
Just did that....
FFR 1965 Cobra 427
2011 BMW 135i convertible
1941 Chevy hotrod truck
petegtsv10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #100
vagabondjpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoons-asmc View Post
what did you guys before they had gas gauges on motorcycles?,, i dont need some dumb ass light to tell when i need gas ,lol , simple 40 mpg, 160 miles, gas time, i can go extra miles if i have to,
i dont like xr gas gauge. drops way too fast, so i dont use it
spoons
Yep, I do the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer12345 View Post
I used a petcock. It was always accurate.
I completely agree.

In my mind, if the biggest issue I have with my XR is the gas gauge/speedometer, I walk away a winner. I had so many issues with my old Chief, I'm ecstatic when I can walk out to my Vic at 20 degF, press the start button and go for a 500 mile ride and only need to concern with where I'm filling up with gas and grub.

Ride safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement