Oil cooler line question - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Tech and Performance Section

Old 10-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
KROWBAR

Default Oil cooler line question

I have a 2012 Hammer S. Have the 2012 shop manual.

According to the shop manual, the LOWER hose on the oil cooler (also the INNER hose on the left side of the engine) takes HOT oil from the engine to the oil cooler.

Also, the UPPER hose on the cooler (also the OUTER hose on the left side of the engine) takes COOL oil from the cooler and returns it to the engine.

HOWEVER, on the Victory Parts Fische the LOWER hose is described as "engine in". This seems to contradict the shop manual. To me "engine in" means from cooler to engine. While manual states engine to cooler.

UPPER hose in fische described as "engine out". Again seems to contradict manual. "Engine out" to me means from engine to cooler.

MY QUESTION: based on actual experience, which oil hose, UPPER or LOWER, takes HOT engine oil to the cooler? i.e. which source is correct: shop manual or fische? Again Freedom 106 engine.

THX
KROWBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
depot picker
Lifetime Premium

See which hose gets hotter.
Passenger arm rests and handles, driver back rest
Lloydz filter, 1 1/8 hole drilled in muffler baffles,
Harley lugage rack, Ness modular apes
depot picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:06 AM   #3
gibson
Lifetime Premium

comes from oil pump lower hose to oil cooler to upper hose crank case passage to cylinder heads. 4.4 in the book. So it is opposite of a water radiator of old.
gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
lunaticrider

Garage

In my experience the service manual is correct, I had a similar conflicting issue with kawasaki and they said the service manual is always correct...
Old 10-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
KROWBAR

THX for the answers all.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
KROWBAR

Finally got a chance to test the oil lines. The outer/upper line takes oil FROM the engine and sends it TO the cooler. The inner/lower line is the return line.

Parts fiche is correct, shop manual is wrong. At least for a 2012 Hammer S.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
visionjohnny

Why do you want to know?
What are you going to do?

Please add your city and state after the model of bike you have. Click user pc at top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
KROWBAR

Put in an oil temp sensor (tee into outside line). Wanted to know if I was getting hot oil from engine, or cooler oil from the oil cooler. I'm a little crazy about knowing how things work on my bike. Also don't get the warm fuzzies when a shop manual is wrong. What else is wrong?
Old 12-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
visionjohnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by KROWBAR View Post
Put in an oil temp sensor (tee into outside line). Wanted to know if I was getting hot oil from engine, or cooler oil from the oil cooler. I'm a little crazy about knowing how things work on my bike. Also don't get the warm fuzzies when a shop manual is wrong. What else is wrong?
Why not put a T in where the oil sensor goes into the motor. You'll still get temp and it will be cleaner and easier.
Keep in mind the oil lines are under pressure so if your off a littler you will have a leak.

Please add your city and state after the model of bike you have. Click user pc at top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
KROWBAR

Tee'ing the oil pressure orafice for an oil pressure gauge, plus better oil flow (more accurate reading) by teeing into oil line.

You are right have to watch for leaks. The "fabric covered" part of the line is thin plastic 5/16" ID pipe with a fabric cover. Wish it was rubber. I bought a spare line in case things don't work out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement