New Member From Florida - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Forums > Rules and New Members Introductions

Old 12-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
raynchk

Smile New Member From Florida

Hi everybody! Just joined the forum recently and am posting an introduction. Today I bought a 2012 Vision, and have logged about 175 miles. Seems to be a great motorcycle. At first I was worried about the saddlebag storage, but then decided it will work for me and I'm going to put a hitch on the bike when finances permit. I have a trailer and when I take the woman along it will allow for all that extra cargo.

First impressions of the bike is the valve noise is odd, sounds a little like a sewing machine on steroids, but that may have more to do with power curve and where I'm keeping the rpms.

I also understand its not a good idea to run the tank low, somewhere I read it can have an adverse effect on the fuel pump.

The motorcycle had 3700 miles on it when I got it, mileage on the 175 mile trip home was 43.9 according to digital readout.

My past ride was a 2000 Kawasaki Voyager, it was my second, had a 91 that some nice old blue haired lady rear-ended and then ran. Crafty old girl. Great machine, I'll never understand Kawasaki's logic in quitting building them in 2003.

Any recommendations on a cover. For now I'm going to have to store the bike outside, under the carport. I'll post this in the vision forum also, so let me know if double posting doesn't cut it here.

Oh... where do I find the signature link if I have a freebie acount? Looked around and couldn't find it.

Cuzz

~2012 Victory Vision
raynchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
CrossRoads
Administrator

Congrats on your new 2012 Vision, and welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynchk View Post
First impressions of the bike is the valve noise is odd, sounds a little like a sewing machine on steroids, but that may have more to do with power curve and where I'm keeping the rpms.
Aftermarket muffler fixes that.

Quote:
I also understand its not a good idea to run the tank low, somewhere I read it can have an adverse effect on the fuel pump.
That's right. The pump is designed to be constantly bathing in fuel.

Quote:
The motorcycle had 3700 miles on it when I got it, mileage on the 175 mile trip home was 43.9 according to digital readout.
Just as a word of caution, don't trust the readout. Instead, keep track of your mileage the old fashioned way, at least for a few tanks, so you get an idea by how much the readout is off.

Quote:
Oh... where do I find the signature link if I have a freebie acount? Looked around and couldn't find it.
You need more posts under your belt before you can add a signature. Two posts total; you're only on your first.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
raynchk

What kind of fuel are you guys using? Regular or premium? Guy I bought it from said he was using regular, no spark knock, etc... I can testify to that. But reading the manual tonight, it says to use a minimum of 91 Octane rms reading. That dictates premium to me.. What's the verdict?
raynchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
GreatWhiteNorth

Garage

Premium, with the odd tank of regular when necessary.
But more importantly - you read the manual? Guys don't read manuals or instructions. Are you sure it was the manual?
Old 12-24-2012, 12:30 AM   #5
Jayref

Default Whatever Victory Forums!

This is a power trip for someone making these goofy rules for rooks!
Jayref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #6
Jayref

Default Re: Whatever Victory Forums!

Here's my second post for the record...
Jayref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:04 AM   #7
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

Quote:

Cuzz

~2012 Victory Vision
CR is correct on aftermarket exhaust resolving the sewing machine sound or you can drill the end of the baffle which will reduce a little heat IMHO as well as give a lil more power in the powerband w/o sacrifice of low end torque si ce the inner baffle is still intact. Not obmnoxious loud yet the sewing machine is gone.

The RPMs you run are fairly important to the Vic's. 2200-2500 should be lowest your dragging it into before downshift. You can get alot of chatter otherwise.

The fuel mpg avg is about 3-4 high on mine and heard about the same. However click down to the usage and it will help you learn the best use if 5th and 6th with this bike as well as what mph it like with gearing and terrain.

Octane. Not going to start an oil thread here but octane is based on engine mods and ambient temps as well as altitude. Not the owners manual. 91 is default you can't sue me rating. Use the lowest you get no ping and your engine will thank you down the road. If you don't have pinging during proper rpm/gear selection your fine. Not just my opininion but from KevinX and Lloyd. Take your time fueling holding tip of nozzle just inside tank neck. Tank will transfer to left slowly last 1/2 a gallon.

Safe ridding.
2011 White Vision - Nuvi 550, Lowers, Lloydz 2nd filter, Vic perf filter, CB/Icom, 96 Brake LED's, Clear Signal lens/Switchbacks, VIC Hwy Pegs, Stebel Horn, 7Jurock 15" Shield, PCV, Lloyd ATS and Variable intake, Ness honkers

2004 V92 TC - S1 flash, level 1 slip-on, Ness big sucker K&N, ISO Grips, 4x1.5 Highway Hawg Risers, extra chrome (never too much), JM 2k CB 4' antena, Mustang seat, HD Front TS & Lowers, OD Pulley

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Tims_04V92TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
ahamayym

Welcome to the site!!! I'm up in Jacksonville. Anytime you would like to ride around, let me know.

ahamayym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
Tarzan
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
Premium, with the odd tank of regular when necessary.
But more importantly - you read the manual? Guys don't read manuals or instructions. Are you sure it was the manual?
I would disagree with this assessment. Like Tims_04V92TC states, you are better off running regular if the bike doesn't ping or rattle. Higher octane is actually harder to ignite and more prone to causing carbon buildup. Lower octane has a lower flashpoint which burns easier. Unless you have higher compression or excessive heat, high octane isn't helping.
Advertisement