XR heated grips part # question - Page 2 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 12-27-2012, 04:17 AM   #11
TNXR

So you do not have to glue the heated grip back on the left side? What holds it in place? I am sure I'll have more questions when the grips come in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 05:14 AM   #12
philmonger

The left heated grip comes with 2 self tapping Torx screws that are hidden under the ridge that butts up against the switch block. You just roll the rubber back a bit to access them. There are 2 pre-drilled holes in the handbars that these screws tap into. I assume this ensures thatthe cable for the heating element is positioned properly....
1977 Honda 550 (sold)
philmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
TNXR

Finally got my grips in and have been reading over the instructions. Everything seems straight forward but I do have a question. How do you route the wire from the throttle grip. Do you run it through the black metal bracket? How do you secure the wire but still be able to turn the throttle? Looks like if you secure the wire with the included zip ties that it would get caught or bow up when you turn the throttle. Probably a stupid question but just wanted to check before I dive into this project tomorrow.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #14
philmonger

I took a look at a bike in the shop to see how the cable ran. The grip will only go on one way, so you just give the cable a bit of slack and tie wrap it to the cable bundle on the handlebars. I didn't bother with the replacement cable tie that came with the kit. I just used black tie wraps and attached the heat cable to the existing bundle that way. Looks just fine!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grips.jpg (22.8 KB, 16 views)
1977 Honda 550 (sold)
Old 01-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #15
TNXR

Thanks philmonger and thanks for the pic. I'll probably do the same thing if I can find where I last put those black zipties at! Hopefully I will not have anymore questions.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #16
philmonger

It is a little confusing inside the headlights ad the instructions are contributing to this confusion. I tossed them out recently, but they refer to blue and brown ( I think) wires on the main harness but they mean the heater cable harness that came with the grips! If you get really confused, I will open my light back up and take a pic for ya!
1977 Honda 550 (sold)
Old 01-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #17
philmonger

Open the headlght last! after the grips are on. One step at a time.
1977 Honda 550 (sold)
Old 01-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #18
TNXR

Got the grips on today (well most of it) and it was not as easy as I thought it would be but then again nothing ever is. Got the plastic end caps off without damage by using a piece of wood and rubber hammer. Also got the left grip off without damage by using compressed air to loosen the glue. Problems started when it came to installing the throttle grip. Took me forever to get the barrel ends in and it still didn't feel/sound right. Finally figured out that the pull cable had jumped off its track at the throttle body end and was getting caught and tangle everytime I twisted the throttle. Got all that fixed and plugged grips into all the required electrical connections and now I have warm hands. Got to tidy it all up tomorrow and hopefully go for a ride. Thanks to everybody that helped me with this. By the way, this is the first time I had ever taken the windshield off of my XR and man does it look bad *ss! Might have to run without it this summer.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #19
TNXR

One thing I found on my Cross bike that others may run into. From the day I first got my bike the throttle would stick closed and sort of lossen up after I turn it a few times and would also make a ratcheting sound when the throttle was turned all the way back (bike turned off of course). When I took the switch cube apart to change out for my heated grip I noticed the return cable (the one closest to the driver) had a pretty good kink in it about .5 inch from the barrel end. What would happen is when the throttle was turned all the way back it would "jump" out of the black sleeve and push against the switch cube making the ratcheting sound. I bent the cable back into shape and inspected it close for fraying and it looks OK and now is noise free. If I would have kept riding with it rubbing like that, the return cable would have frayed apart eventually. I am guessing it came from the factory like that and who ever put on the cables that day bent mine while putting it on the throttle or something.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #20
jgreg65
Premium Member

I had mine put on by the dealer. I couldnt get him to budge on the price after the 2nd negotiating session so I said If you cant throw in a set of heated grips installed I'm out. And he did! They are the best I have ever had and I have tried them all!!! A+ on the factory ones. Must have some Polaris in them
2005 Suzuki C50 - Retired
US Navy - Retired
O&A XM 105
Thank our troops for your freedom! MIA's we will never forget!
jgreg65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement