Wrist pain from handlebar angle - Page 8 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 12-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #71
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspollack View Post
One of the motorcycle magazines (I forget which one -- it was Motorcyclist, Cycle World, or Rider) added these to a Concours 14 or an FJR in the last year or so, and absolutely loved them, said it was worth the money, etc. I thought of these, but I didn't think that they made them for our small market (and didn't bother to check).

The bad news is that the sale may be over: "Sale price: $599.00 HeliBars 25th Anniversary November Special valid through November 30th!"

Having removed the fairing and the dash before (for lighting and a horn), I can attest that the dash is a bit of a PITA (bolts down by the fork tubes and underneath the dash), but it's certainly in the realm of a shade-tree mechanic. The hardest part of D-I-Y bar-changing -- at least, the part that worries me the most -- is removing and preserving the heated grips on my XCT.
Looks like the sale is on again and the cool thing is you have a 2012 so you don't need a new top brake line according to their site.
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #72
orbiker

Quote:
Orbiker & BBob: thank you very much for your time and effort in getting back to me. I'll have to ponder all this information for a while...
Bill
Did you decide to get the bars or bend the old ones?

On another thought;
How loud is the Stebel horn under the fairing?
KEN

Some of my Rides

Coast to Coast trip of a Lifetime
From Oregon to the Grand Canyon and beyond
Scenic Alaska on a Harley
Touring the Rocky Mts. on a Harley
orbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #73
wspollack

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
Bill
Did you decide to get the bars or bend the old ones?

On another thought;
How loud is the Stebel horn under the fairing?
KEN
Ken:

I decided to just save my money for a while, and do nothing. I have a two-week, 4,000-mile, trip planned for April. I'll see how that goes. If I wind up with aching shoulder blades, I just may splurge on the Heli-Bars.

The Stebel Nautilus is plenty loud inside the fairing. (I'm assuming you've glanced at my gallery -- link below -- where I have several pics showing the installation.) The fairing has plenty of open area underneath and behind it (by the forks), so it's not an issue. And I think I know what loud is: I had a Nautilus on my Burgman before the XCT; and before that, on my Valkyrie, first I added a double-trumpet airhorn, and later replaced that with a four-horn electric-horn setup. Anyway, I'm pleased with the Stebel, would do it again, etc.

Bill P.

2012 XCT: HeliBars; 11" Madstad windshield & brackets; Rivco LED mirrors; Doran TPMS; Stebel horn; Motolights; CustomLED trunk flasher; KewlHeel shifter; CycleOps trunk rack; BeadRider seat; Vibranator bar ends; Passenger grab handles; Powerlet outlets; Handlebar RAM mount; RicZ laydown license-plate holder; Brukus SaddlebagSecure; 14" flexible antenna; RAM cupholder on trunk; shock Schrader valve relocation.

Gallery: http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/
wspollack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #74
sixshooter_45

Garage
Wink

Quote:
Ken:

I decided to just save my money for a while, and do nothing. I have a two-week, 4,000-mile, trip planned for April. I'll see how that goes. If I wind up with aching shoulder blades, I just may splurge on the Heli-Bars.

The Stebel Nautilus is plenty loud inside the fairing. (I'm assuming you've glanced at my gallery -- link below -- where I have several pics showing the installation.) The fairing has plenty of open area underneath and behind it (by the forks), so it's not an issue. And I think I know what loud is: I had a Nautilus on my Burgman before the XCT; and before that, on my Valkyrie, first I added a double-trumpet airhorn, and later replaced that with a four-horn electric-horn setup. Anyway, I'm pleased with the Stebel, would do it again, etc.
+1, mine is also under the fairing and seems to be plenty loud.

Blue Thunder Garage!

Color: Boardwalk Blue; list of accessories.
sixshooter_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #75
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Ken:

I had a Nautilus on my Burgman before the XCT;
Smart to go at the handlebar thing slow so you can be sure to get what you need; if anything.

I have heard others speak of the Burgman; specifically Greg Benner. Do you have a pic you could post of it. I look them up and wonder how people could possibly tour on something like that and think that maybe I'm not looking at the right model or something.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #76
wspollack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBob View Post
Smart to go at the handlebar thing slow so you can be sure to get what you need; if anything.

I have heard others speak of the Burgman; specifically Greg Benner. Do you have a pic you could post of it. I look them up and wonder how people could possibly tour on something like that and think that maybe I'm not looking at the right model or something.
Pictures? Sure, plenty, from various angles, with and without various farkles, etc.. Check out my Burgman gallery: http://www.billanddot.com/burgman/

Suzuki has two Burgman models, a 400 and a 650. The 650 (actually 638cc) had two variants (now just one, I believe), with the fancier Executive model adding ABS, an electric windshield, and a few other tidbits. Although a scooter in the sense of a twist-and-go automatic, no neutral, and a sort of step-through design, it's a "real" bike, in the sense that the engine is rigidly mounted to the frame up front (just where you'd expect it on a bike, i.e., not on the swingarm), it has large-ish wheels (15" front, 14" rear), has that beefy engine (DOHC, 4-valves per cylinder, parallel twin), and it weighs c. 610lb.

A buddy (also on a 650 Burgman) and I did 840-mile days -- twice -- coming back from MotoGP races at Indy, back to Albany, NY. I also did two 800+ days by myself, coming home from family visits in North Carolina. What made long trips possible on a Big Burger, for me, is: I added a true cruise control (MC Cruise); the engine can run just fine at speed, all day (and I got over 100mph -- GPS verified, not the optimistic speedometer -- a few times); the electric windshield is great (just like, say, a Vision); BeadRider beads fit nicely; and -- here's the big thing -- just like, say, my XCT, you can really use different feet positions, from almost-full-stretched-out ahead to straight down. Don't forget, on a scooter, your feet aren't doing anything -- no shift lever, and the rear brake is on the left grip -- so your feet are always, um, free to move about the cabin.

What's not so great about the 650 are its two-up passing ability, the passenger leg and foot positioning, and if the tranny ever goes south you're looking at an expensive mailbox or something. (There are a few other negatives, but there are also some other pluses, like excellent storage and weather protection.) I owned mine from 2007 - 2012, and traded it in on the XCT. I wanted one last hurrah on a big, low C of G, full-dresser/bagger, before my knees and ankles can't take it any more, but the Burger was a fun ride for five years.

That help?

Bill P.

2012 XCT: HeliBars; 11" Madstad windshield & brackets; Rivco LED mirrors; Doran TPMS; Stebel horn; Motolights; CustomLED trunk flasher; KewlHeel shifter; CycleOps trunk rack; BeadRider seat; Vibranator bar ends; Passenger grab handles; Powerlet outlets; Handlebar RAM mount; RicZ laydown license-plate holder; Brukus SaddlebagSecure; 14" flexible antenna; RAM cupholder on trunk; shock Schrader valve relocation.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #77
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
That help?
Definitely. You covered all the bases and questions I might have. Very interesting. I never really looked at them as being a full-on motorcycle. I can see my attitude toward them must change.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #78
wspollack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBob View Post
Definitely. You covered all the bases and questions I might have. Very interesting. I never really looked at them as being a full-on motorcycle. I can see my attitude toward them must change.
Ah, heck, as long as we're off-topic, I might as well finish this, and then I'll shut up.

Attached is a pic with the Burger loaded for bear (before I had a local upholsterer make a better backrest for the Givi topcase). My wife and I were doing a trip up and back to the Gaspe peninsula in Canada. This was 800-900 miles each way, which we did in two days each way (using different routes to and from Canada).

When Motorcycle Consumer News tested the 650 in 2004, they pointed out that it was faster in both 0-60 and the quarter mile than a 750 Honda (Aero or Shadow or something) they had tested the previous month... despite giving away c. 100cc and 100lb. to the Honda. [Edit addition: MCN also measured (radar gun) the 650's top speed at 101mph.]

Adding the 52-liter Givi topcase to the 55-liter underseat storage gives this thing serious storage, e.g., more than an XC. Add a "hump bag" and some throw-overs, and you're approaching XCT storage territory.

One last(?) thing. That Exec model has something I've never seen on another bike: electrically folding mirror enclosures. I know this sounds silly, but actually every time I'd park, I'd click them into their folded position. Makes it harder for people in parking lots to bump into them, more room in the garage, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010-07-14-11-14-17.jpg (54.1 KB, 28 views)

Bill P.

Last edited by wspollack; 01-03-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #79
Bikendad

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
Does anyone else have wrist pain from handlebar angle?

I have been riding Harleys for a long long time. Since I have started riding the XCT (about 2500 mile so far) my wrists have started to hurt after riding. I think the angle is ergonomically incorrect.

Is this happening to anyone else?
KEN
Yep, had the problem until I went with the HMD520 pullback bars. He changed the wrist angle and they give you 2 1/2" of pullback and yes snip off the locator pins.
Bikendad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #80
Brainfrt

I did notice some hurting today riding only 100 miles. I was at Strokers Dallas and he is making a new handle bar that I really like. Its a ape hanger style but so easy to ride with. I was hoping he had them on there website but nothing so far.
Alien Skull Engine Badges/Avon Spike Grips and Shifter
Arlen Ness Flip Smoke Screen/EFX LED Accent Lights
cheers
Brainfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement