Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Is oil level too high a problem?

16K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Diveroger 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2006 Vegas Jackpot. I checked the oil level per the manual and the dipstick reads what appears to be about a half quart high. The manual says too much oil may cause damage. Do I need to drain out the extra oil so that the level is no higher than the "FULL" mark or does it really matter?

#9 ·
I have 2 Turkey basters... Cheap right at the grocery store...

I use one for oil, tranny fluid, power steering fluid, etc... The other I keep specifically for brake fluid.

Even though I clean them both after use, I don't want to take the chance of cross contamination in the brake system.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

#10 ·
I have 2 Turkey basters... Cheap right at the grocery store...

I use one for oil, tranny fluid, power steering fluid, etc... The other I keep specifically for brake fluid.

Even though I clean them both after use, I don't want to take the chance of cross contamination in the brake system.

Bob/QUOTE]

Ahhh, hadn't thought of that one either. It makes sense to keep them separate too. Thanks for another great idea! :)

#20 ·
Ummmm I know it way late in the game but when my kingpin is given back after an oil change, AT THE DEALER, ....oil level is to the threads. That is above the "full" mark. The mechanic, the work order all refer to 5 quarts. Did my own oil change, I used a vic oil kit, 1 (polaris) filter + 5 quarts..guess what? right to the threads. I also find the engine runs more quiet with the oil at this level.

#21 ·
When I bought my bike last month the dealer checked the oil after doing a test ride and added some to it. I checked it the next day per the manual and it was above the full mark. Took it in for the 500 mile yesterday morning and drove the 70 miles back home and the oil level is still above the full mark, all the way up to the threads. I am going to take some out with a turkey baster to get it at the full mark. My dealer also didn't check the belt tension and told me not to worry about it! Looks like I'll be doing that one on my own along with all the bolt/nut torque checks.

#24 ·
Ultimate Toys on Kingston Pike?

Anyone that checks oil, whether the owner of the bike or some lame duck in a service dept., should know to wait 30-45 minutes after shutting an engine down before checking the oil or you WILL get an innacurate reading.

If they charged you for anything, I'd be back there looking for some coin back.

Bob

#22 ·
Before I bought my bike used the owner said he just got the oil changed at the dealer. I get the bike home 500 miles and checked the level and it was all the way to the treads. Seems like the dealers aren't really paying close attention to their work :mad:

and now i have almost 600 miles of riding on way too much lube. :mad::mad::mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.