Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

brukus bag mounts

6K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  BThomas 
#1 ·
per a post from bbob about rattle abatement....i splurged for the brukus bag mounts...and i do believe she is quieter....i also flared out the small foam pad with a couple of dowel inserts to snug the lids....

more...after seeing the stock qr mounts...the brukus are really a better solution for those of use who will not be taking off / dropping thousand dollar glass bags at overnights (never have)...i am really pleased with them...

so thanks bbob....

they are a bit pricey though...and you could likely put your own together....but...

#2 ·
Wrapping dental floss around the upper and lower hinge mounts works very well to get rid of the rattle too.

#5 ·
this is a good idea..in fact, back when i was wearing a helmet and had one with loose shield snaps - the rattles were a drag.. i did this with some waxed harness lace and it was peachy...did the same treatment for my neighbor's....gave that one away with the last bike...now i have one with screws..for rides into nevada and california....i am gonna look at the hinges.....thanks

#4 ·
The best way I can explain it (with an easy visual) is that the lid hinges work like door hinges in your house. On most hinges (including your doors and lids) there are two halves that rotate around a pin.

The object of the dental floss is to wrap the pins and fill the gaps between your hinge halves . Filling the gaps adds tension to the hinges which keeps them from moving up/down/forward/backward.

Start with a 12-14" long piece of floss and stick it between the hinge halves below the pin from the inside of your bags. Once you see it come through the outside pull it through (leaving a 2-3" tail) then push it back through over the top of the pin. Repeat this process at least 5-6 times per hinge section and it will eliminate rattle. Once you finish each section tie the 2 end of the floss together and snip the excess.

Note that it is better to have too many wraps than not enough. With too many you'll have more tension on the hinges but the floss will last longer.

#6 ·
You can do them cheaper, though not drastically as some may lead you to believe. I swung over to the Home Depot and picked up what I needed which was essentially four bolts and the anchors. Also grabbed a spare alan wrench for them to put in the bikes tool kit. Runs about $15 after taxes (bolts make up most of it at about $2ea). But $20 saved is $20 saved.

#8 ·
You're more than welcome. The difference between the hardware solution and the Brukus solution is the section of the bolt that goes through the rubber grommet. Being machined down, it allows the bolt to spin like it should, and not fall out after unscrewing them although the standard bolt probably wouldn't until the grommet would chewed up enough eventually.

While trying to help Brukus dial in those bolts I took some and just ground down the section that stays in the grommet's using my bench grinder. Took a little doing because the bolts they use are fairly hard but standard hardware store bolts are probably softer and easier to grind down. Just keep turning the bolt and it will be fairly evenly ground down in that section.

#10 ·
Where do yo buy these bracus bag mounts and do they come with the screws and spacers and other hardware?
Thanks bcflyguy

#11 ·
I got mine from their site, although I believe there are some motorcycle shops that are dealers.

This is their regular link: http://brukus.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product-category.cgi?d=brukus-motorcycle-parts&pc=12995 ; however, here's the link for VMF members, which will save you a few bucks:

http://brukus.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product-category.cgi?d=brukus-motorcycle-parts&pc=12573

Click on the appropriate product link, and you'll see exactly what you get.

I exchanged a few emails with Brukus after getting my set in July, and they went through the machining, etc., involved in the hardware, after I suggested that they might sell more if they lowered the price a bit; they said that their material and machining costs were pretty high, so they couldn't go lower. So, to each his own: you can go the hardware-store route, or Brukus, or do nothing.

#13 ·
These are great and not just for security reasons.... I have a lot more confidence in these than the stock quick release system--relatively cheap insurance for spendy bags. Top shelf hardware and a good design!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#15 ·
Not a bad solution, however I just bought a right angle ratcheting screwdriver set from Lowes for $10. (great for tight spaces) It includes about 5 or 6 different sizes of "security Torx" bits that fit the screws that are used in the Brukus kit.

Just a heads up, the security screws are readily available from most hardware stores, as are the blind nuts.

I did the same thing to my bags after hearing about them falling off, however I used brass toilet tank to bowl bolts. They have a very shallow head which keeps them low profile and the brass is water and weather proof. I crimped the blind nuts a bit to make the screws an "interference" fit to prevent vibration from loosening them. I wasn't going for security as an anti-theft, but as a "save $1K on a replacement bag" type of security.

I believe I can't really stop someone from taking my bags if they want them bad enough and they have enough time to do so (short of welding them on), but I CAN prevent them from falling off inadvertently.

Ride On.

#16 ·
Raccoon,

Just a minor clarification: the Brukus bolts have a pin in the center. The Torx-LIKE tool that they provide has a hollow center, so that its shaft fits over that pin, so that the rest of the tool can engage the rest of the inside of the bolt head. Thus, I'm pretty sure that an ordinary Torx bit won't work on these bolts.

That said, in keeping with what you say, anyone with a pry bar can open the saddlebag lids and get at the contents. Anyone with a knife, screwdriver, key, etc., can damage them big time.

I got my Brukus set shortly after buying my XCT mostly because I read some posts of the stock fasteners coming updone. That is, not only don't I want my bags stolen, I don't want them bouncing down the road, either.

Regarding damaged bags, BTW, I also posted a rant concerning how expensive parts for the bags are (see http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=11516 ), the executive summary of which is that it's cheaper to buy a new set of TWO than to buy parts for ONE bag. Go figure.

#22 ·
"Obvious Flaw"

"Obvious Flaw"? How can any company be responsible for the way an owner uses the product? They have no way to insure that an owner has used the Dzus fastners correctly, making sure that they are installed right and tight. Just contact your insurance company.

#24 ·
Yes.

"Obvious Flaw"? How can any company be responsible for the way an owner uses the product? They have no way to insure that an owner has used the Dzus fastners correctly, making sure that they are installed right and tight. Just contact your insurance company.
Yes, an "obvious flaw". How many cars can you buy today that anything attached to it has the ability to fall off and create such a hazard? Just think if that bag hit another motorcycle and caused them to get killed or struck a car and it swerved and caused an accident that seriously injured or killed someone. Generally, under the common law, a design defect often requires a showing of negligence; however, strict liability may be imposed for an unreasonably dangerous design if the plaintiff can present evidence that there was a cost-effective alternative design that would have prevented the risk of injury.

At least that is my opinion...

#23 ·
I was considering this until a friend lost a bag held on by a system similar, different bolts but close. What keeps the bolt from backing out, pressure or a fitting to wear out?
And theft, I tried getting in to the back of the stock hardware and not much luck on my XC Tour.

#25 ·
This system uses pressure, in the form of an offset washer, to keep it from backing out. If for some reason it does come loose, youre going to have some time to notice it. Additionally, both bolts will have to come loose and completely back out before you had an event like described above. Statistically, this shouldn't ever happen.

The first time i took my bags off and put them back on, i didn't seat one of the stock pins correctly and didn't notice it until i opened the bag the next day. I had nightmare visions of doing that again someday and losing a bag like others have done with the stock pins. The new system is almost impossible to put on incorrectly.

A learned thief can remove the stock pinned bags with a quarter turn of some filed down pliers (there are videos showing this) in under 20 seconds. The bolt system would take a lot more time.

I bought the system, not so much for antitheft, but because its more idiot-proof than the stock system. While i don't consider myself an idiot, I do sometimes act like one... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.