Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

New Paint - Protection

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  BBob 
#1 ·
Just curious from any of you guys that have a little knowledge of paint.

I think there have been discussions on the quality of the factory paint...well, I am thinking about a new paint job for my bike.

I have the 2012 Victory Cross Country...the White Edition.

Below is the style (and pretty close to the colors I will use) along with the SCRIPT writing in BLACK on the tank using the VICTORY script.

But my question is this...when I go see the paint guy...should I ask for MORE clear coats on the paint job.

OR

AM I IGNORANT in thinking that more coats of clear will better protect the paint from chipping (yes, I know in some cases they just can't be avoided). But I do have to admit that on my lowers...if a FLY sneezes my paint chips.

I want to have the MOST durable paint job possible...

So help me here...what are things I need to watch for and ASK for.

Thanks for the education. :)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I can visualize this and think it would look great! More layers of clear coat will add more paint chip protection and ultra violet protection as well as give it a deeper look.

I would still use some 3M paint protection film on front facing lower parts and if you are like me and kick the right side lid with my heel once in a while; the front top part of the lid. Seems like ladies like the catch the left lid and I catch the right one for some reason.

#3 ·
OK...thanks Bob.

My next question is how many coats do most painters TYPICALLY use for clear coats?

I'll probably have some other questions too.

Wally

#5 ·
Is one brand of paint any better than another. Again...I'm not paint guy...the only paints I have heard of is 3M, Dupont and House of Color? Are these still relevant now?

#6 ·
They will only give you maybe 3 layers of clear. You can ask about bumper clear coat that might help.
If it were me I would ask painter how long before paint is dry and put 3m protector film on the front of the bags the front of the fender and your lowers. This film is really tuff and yes standing just right you can see it but its way cheaper then new paint and can be replace.

#10 ·
They will only give you maybe 3 layers of clear. You can ask about bumper clear coat that might help.
If it were me I would ask painter how long before paint is dry and put 3m protector film on the front of the bags the front of the fender and your lowers. This film is really tuff and yes standing just right you can see it but its way cheaper then new paint and can be replace.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At5qvqz1XWI
when my wife got her bike painted... She was told that she couldn't even wash it for three weeks. Also, no 3M for a month. Something about paint curing......

#11 ·
I'm an amateur too Arkie. I bought all the equipment and had planned on getting a lot of painting done by now but a house move came up and then stalled so that's where I'm at right now.

I can tell you that most towns of any size usually have paint shop that will match up the color you want and the catalyst to harden it in a reasonable time so it doesn't have to cure for a month or so.

That's pretty much how the good paint's work now. The painter must be good though because he or she doesn't have a lot of time to dick around. About 30 minutes per mix is about it.

There are a lot of great youtube videos you might want to watch to get a feel of how long and what the painter will go through during each stage of the process. You will also get an appreciation of why it takes so long to do stuff sometimes too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.