Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

How to improve the handling on a Hammer? Any suggestions?? Thx

14K views 68 replies 21 participants last post by  saddlebag 
#1 ·
Hello,

I sold my suzuki m109r because I didn't like the handling of the bike. I attribute a lot to the size of the rear tire. I started looking at other bikes, BUT I came across a really good deal on a 2010 Hammer...:cool: I may give a large tire bike another go... thumb up

I test rode one today and it did feel a little better than the m109r in corners. If I wanted to further improve the handling, any recommendations?

THANKS

#2 ·
Keep that rear tire aired up to max psi. --- Get a rear wheel off of a standard Vegas, or buy an aftermarket wheel with a smaller width rim. Just a couple of ideas.

#3 ·
Keeping the tire air up high will help but putting a thinner rim and tire on it would just make it look silly with the back fender being wide and the tire being too thin for it in my opinion.

It's just the nature of wide tire bikes. The perfect width is 180. After that the handling starts to degrade. The 250 tire isn't bad though. When it starts to get worn in the middle is when the handling really suffers. The flat spot is almost like running a flat car tire.

#8 ·
The first time I rode on my buddy's Hammer, I was astounded at the amount of countersteer required to move into a turn. But I loved how it felt cruising and ultimately that's what led me to purchase one. No kidding, 2nd or 3rd ride into the new bike, I no longer thought about it. And I don't have trouble switching between it and the other two bikes I own (Suzuki SV650 and Honda CRF250L). Maybe it's just an "acquired taste" for the handling. Personally, I love it!

#19 ·
Ok so I only have 200 miles on my 2012 Hammer S, so I'm no authority, however, I agree with the countersteering assessment. I like the way it needs to be "pushed" into curves. Besides the rear tire, the weight and length of the bike contribute greatly to this feel. It only took one test ride for me to say "I really like the way this bike drives". If I wanted nimble, I would have gotten a Sport bike. I too love the (stability) at cruising speed. Again, rear tire size, weight and length contribute.

Maybe I'm just old and fit the Cruiser bike stereotype like a glove.

#9 ·
I just picked mine back up after getting Metzelers put on today. I'm blown away with the ease now of leaning into a corner compared to the original Dunlops. I know guys have talked about how much the handling improves going to this 260, and now I know exactly why!

I also had them pull the lowering link off this bike came with and put a stock size back on which improved the handling as well.

#10 ·
I have never owned a street bike before I bought my 2012 Hammer 8 Ball. I would probably kill myself taking corners on a "narrow" tire bike. Does the Hammer REALLY handle that bad??? It just depends on what you are accustomed to.For the looks it gives, I'll give my "fat ass" all the leverage I can to turn it.

#11 ·
It's ALL about what you are used to, as far as handling, and swinging in branches, my 2003 BMW R1150R and my 2012 CrossRoads are like comparing squirrels to orangatangs.

:crzy:

#12 ·
I understand that you are making a sincere effort to improve handling and that's a good thing. But, you bought a fat tire bike. It's got things going for it that my Cross Country Tour does not.
I won't be picking up strippers, nor will I be picking up pinks at Run Whut Ya Brung night. You will not be keeping up with the pack on Tail of the Dragon. Some things just is what they is.

#17 ·
Phatjoe has apparently asked a rhetorical question...

Maybe he changed the tires, shocks, handlebars, seat, and changed the frame, and fixed the 'problem'.... hopefully he also changed the name on the tank.

#15 ·
This is what a new Metz 240 looks like on the back of a Hammer. I ditched the Dunlop 250 for this one and have zero regrets. I'm not sure if the picture does justice to the amount of curve on the tire compared to the Dunlop. The cornering is dramatically improved. The Bassani pipe gets his belly rubbed even more often now, but overall this has been a good move.

Attachments

#16 ·
too fat!!!

tires or chics bigger is not always better, many things effect the tires feel, lighter is better, and the shape makes a big difference, i put 18" on my 06 sportster mich sport touring radials a nice upgrade from dunlop bias stockers, on my bonneville i went with pirelli diablo rosso II excellent handling but will wear quickly, the lighter 17" wheels and tires + 100 lb less than the sporty makes it feel like a sport bike, the hammer will replace the sporty if i like it enough, i love the looks for sure!!!

#20 ·
real brakes and suspension, and more but its still a lowly harley sportster
[/URL][/IMG]
A man after my own heart. Replace them spoked rims with mags and tubeless radials then call Victory and tell them its a new Harley model. They will immediately make one just like it only with a 106. I'll then have another bike in the garage...

#21 ·
wires are sealed!

mags could be lighter i am guessing since they are americanwirewheel.com sealed "tubeless" steel 18" rims 3.5 F for a 120-70 radial + 4.25 rear for a 160-60 radial sport touring. bike handles well for a "harley" thats why its hard to replace! 575 lb although a bit top heavy still 100 lb less than the lightest vic, the hammer my fav! minus the square rear tire. we all have our preferences though!!

#22 ·
mags could be lighter i am guessing since they are americanwirewheel.com sealed "tubeless" steel 18" rims 3.5 F for a 120-70 radial + 4.25 rear for a 160-60 radial sport touring. bike handles well for a "harley" thats why its hard to replace!
Sweet! I think spoked rims with whitewalls look killer, but ain't no way I'd own one as long as they run tubes.

I've ridden two Sporty's in my life. One was a pre-rubber mounted model that a friend loaned me to ride the gap. That was the scariest POS I ever rode. The next was an 883 I rented in Alaska. There was nowhere to ride fast, so I didn't need a lot of power. I was riding with my wife and I thought it was a very comfortable and capable little bike for beating around the back roads at a modest pace. The only thing I wasn't too crazy about was that the engine dieseled like crazy after killing the ignition.

Anyway, I think you've got a fine mount there. I wouldn't get rid of it either!

#23 ·
thanks saddlebag

thanks for the compliments, i have lots of upgrades in the 06 sporty, fully adj cartridge forks + shocks and the 6 piston caliper works well, stock suspension + brakes were sad, its 1200 cc with typical intake + exhaust upgrades, although heavier the 04 rubber mounts are smooth + more powerful due to updated heads thanks erick buell. slightly wider trees to fit the wider 3.5" front wheel, trading on the bonnie was hard due to its lo price, i have $5900 in parts alone installed by me, i enjoy doing such. trading on a higher priced vic should bring better $$$$, the bonnie is very sporty at 440 lb dry and a fun ride thru the many curvy roads in my area, i installed pirelli rosso II tires, not much mileage but great handling, brakes were good but the 6 piston unit i installed is great! checked out a vic demo day today, after seeing + riding the 08 hammer that was like new the newer models do not appeal as much, could get a set of wheels, smaller rear, with money saved buying used

#24 ·
thanks for the compliments, i have lots of upgrades in the 06 sporty, fully adj cartridge forks + shocks and the 6 piston caliper works well, stock suspension + brakes were sad, its 1200 cc with typical intake + exhaust upgrades, although heavier the 04 rubber mounts are smooth + more powerful due to updated heads thanks erick buell. slightly wider trees to fit the wider 3.5" front wheel, trading on the bonnie was hard due to its lo price, i have $5900 in parts alone installed by me, i enjoy doing such. trading on a higher priced vic should bring better $$$$, the bonnie is very sporty at 440 lb dry and a fun ride thru the many curvy roads in my area, i installed pirelli rosso II tires, not much mileage but great handling, brakes were good but the 6 piston unit i installed is great! checked out a vic demo day today, after seeing + riding the 08 hammer that was like new the newer models do not appeal as much, could get a set of wheels, smaller rear, with money saved buying used
I tell ya a bike I think a lot of is the Speedmaster. It's output is more in line with a Sporty than a Vic, but what the hell, it is a cruiser. But from all accounts, it's actually quite nimble. I demo'd one a long time ago and I seem to remember it fondly. I have read that the shocks are rubbish as is typical of the brand, and I do recall the rake created a lot of chopper flop at low speeds. But for the price, there is a lot of room to beef up suspensions and exhausts. And it is a comfy, good looking sumgun.

#25 ·
fork flop

yes my 06 sportster has a bit of "chopper flop", i added a steering damper which helps a lot. bonnie shocks are not too good as you noted, i researched and went with bitubo WME which is a DeCarbon shock that works well. i was pleased to find them at Herdan.com which is actually Hermy senior of Hermy's triumph-BMW in port clinton pa where i bought my bike, theres was a better price including tax, easy pickup a 35 mile ride, a very good dealer as dealers go. lighter bikes with less power do almost as well as heavier more powerful bikes, usually handle better and surely move around with ease. i checked out the vic cross road at the demo, it was on a slight incline and took some effort just to stand it off the sidestand! just not a fan of bigger bikes, the 2012 bonnie with its 17" alloy wheels and less than 500 lb wet feels like a 250 Kawi KLX250S dual sport i have, cant say enough of its great handling and nimbleness. may test a speedmaster for curiosity sake, you can't beat triumph's good pricing for what you get, but i like upscale brakes + suspension if factory installed are cheaper than adding on.

#27 ·
The best way to improve handling is to take a track course, IMO. There are many out there. Years ago, I took Reg Pridmore's CLASS at PIR (Portland International Raceway) and consider that some of the best money I ever spent. Between CLASS and Ride Like a Pro, I learned how to put any bike around a curve with a lot more confidence and skill.

#29 ·
The best way to improve handling is to take a track course, IMO.
Track lessons are great RICZ, but they will never make Roseanne Barr a ballerina.

I used to ride a Duc ST and while it was the most confidence inspiring bike ever at aggressive street speeds it was an unruly pig at track speeds.

It's a question of fashion over function. Mullet hair styles were big in the 90s, but didn't make athletes any more athletic. At least it didn't impede their performance. For whatever reason, this fat tire thing has refused to die with the mullet. And worse, it does impede at least one athletic machine, near and dear to our hearts!

#45 ·
as long as victory "thinks" the oversize square tire helps sell hammer's they will not change them, but they really never can know how many sales are LOST due to it!!! IMO
without the "oversize square" tire, Victory would have lost my money...

IMO, for many a Motorcyclist, Form is on equal footing with Function...

For those, who don't like the 250, either for its look or its behavior, throw a "better" handling tire on it, ride and enjoy. I'm sticking with the 250...

#31 ·
The "Hammer" wouldn't be the "Hammer" without the 250. The Judge minus the inverted forks makes a better sport model anyways. I actually love the way the Hammer handles and I came from years of sport bikes and track bikes. The majority of people take the hammer for what it is and the minority (which is a very small few) complain about it, instead of complaining about something that you will never change you should use your energy to find the bike that suits you....

#32 ·
instead of complaining about something that you will never change you should use your energy to find the bike that suits you....
I believe that educating motorcyclists will help. I think it's fine and dandy to like the looks, but people should know going into it that that look comes at a cost...besides the enormous cost to replace it occasionally.

Look at the number of people who dropped huge money on the boutique choppers a decade or so ago. Hardly see hide nor hair of them now because they are impractical as hell. Better to know that kinda thing up front IMHO.

Hell, if the internet rumors are true, the Jackpot won't even make it another season and that is a comfortable, good looking bike even if putting it in a corner is akin to riding a Slinky.

Now I'm not saying a Hammer is anywhere near as bad a a boutique chopper, but the point is there is already a Harley Davidson that caters to the people who like to make artistic statements with their machines. Victory is better at engineering great riding bikes. I think they should stick with their strengths.

And for the record, the old Hammers have way better suspension bits than the Judge. But if they'd make a Judge "S" with Hammer suspension and low, profile radial tires I'd shut the hell up.

#36 ·
Saddle, That track course didn't make a racer out of me either, but it surely improved my riding skills. thumb up

#37 ·
everything BUT

my problem is i love the look of the hammer, especially the earlier models. the 08 i test rode impressed me much after a test ride on a 13 super-glide that was less than super, although there was a big $$ in pricing, the 08 hammer new was thousands xtra, too bad you can't order important to me better brakes + suspension on new models. manufacturers are leaving $$$ behind. hate to spend $3000 on wheels and tires after buying a new bike + xtra disc on the cheaper new hammers, it will be an older model for me for sure!!!

#38 ·
my problem is i love the look of the hammer, especially the earlier models. the 08 i test rode impressed me much after a test ride on a 13 super-glide that was less than super, although there was a big $$ in pricing, the 08 hammer new was thousands xtra, too bad you can't order important to me better brakes + suspension on new models. manufacturers are leaving $$$ behind. hate to spend $3000 on wheels and tires after buying a new bike + xtra disc on the cheaper new hammers, it will be an older model for me for sure!!!
Ya know I seem to remember Vic having a "build yer own" type of program like Harley does with the Sportster and Street Bob now. Not sure why they ended it since it would be an easy matter to bolt on parts to any of the common framed cruisers and give it to the customer anyway they like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.