Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Paint or Powdercoat

6K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  colecrazy 
#1 ·
I've decided to paint my bike over the winter and ****-can that gaudy tribal flame motif once and for all. My plan is flat black tins with some nice old-school pin-striping. I have a paint shop and a powder-coat place who are both willing to do the same work for the same price. I need some EDUCATED opinions on both options. Thanks for the help

#2 ·
Can't speak from personal experience, but it is my understanding that powder coating is more durable.

#3 ·
I remember back in 2003 replacing the hood on my F150 and being shocked that it wasn't steel.

I think you will find the same thing with a lot of the Victory parts. When I started taking "metal" parts off of my XR to go to the powdercoater, they ended up in the painters bin instead because they were plastic. In other words, on some of the parts, you may not have a choice.

Powdercoating holds up great and I PC most of the things that I can PC on my bikes. If it is the tins though and I am repainting them, I do just that, take them to a good painter. Anytime I have done a repaint, I have wanted something a lot more custom then what I could get at my powder coaters. Wheels, forks, any parts getting hit by road debris a lot, go with PC.

#4 ·
is it even safe to powder coat a gas tank after being used?

#10 ·
They bake power coating on. So tank would have to go in a over for a few hour at 250 degrees. What do you think. You would have to pull fuel pump.

#6 ·
Powder Coat

I am currently having my bike painted and repaired and Powder coated all the steel parts.

Good luck, I will post pics when complete.

#8 ·
Hey some of still like that tribal paint. :D

I remember back in 2003 replacing the hood on my F150 and being shocked that it wasn't steel.

I think you will find the same thing with a lot of the Victory parts. When I started taking "metal" parts off of my XR to go to the powdercoater, they ended up in the painters bin instead because they were plastic. In other words, on some of the parts, you may not have a choice.

Powdercoating holds up great and I PC most of the things that I can PC on my bikes. If it is the tins though and I am repainting them, I do just that, take them to a good painter. Anytime I have done a repaint, I have wanted something a lot more custom then what I could get at my powder coaters. Wheels, forks, any parts getting hit by road debris a lot, go with PC.
Only plastic parts on vegas, hammer and kp are the side covers.

I'd definely go with powder coat I had my old honda shadow and it looked great.

#9 ·
Only thing that has kept me from powdercoating more is how to touch up little nicks and scrapes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.