Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Dyna beads vs ride on

8K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  lstayner 
#1 ·
I have dyna beads they work and work well. I wasnt aware that ride on existed when i purchased dyna beads..When i purchased dyna beads i purchased the speacial valve stems that are suppose to be needed for dyna beads..well they suck, they were the source of a slow leak in my frt tire. I removed both and went back with standard stems and have had no trouble since..Now in hind sight I would have prefered ride on after seeing the info on them..They provide for protection from punctures as well as better balancing

#3 ·
If you do ride on before pouring in go to hardware store and buy a longer hose. The one that comes with it is way to short.
If you can put ride on in before you put tire on bike it will be way easier.

If any of you that have ride on in your tires and its time to get new tire before you take old tire off drill some holes in tire and see if it seals. Please report back to us so we know if it works or not. TKS

#4 ·
I've ued it in several sets of tires on different bikes and currently have it in my XCT. I did discover one day in my RoadStar a nail in my back tire. I checked the pressure and it was 2 lbs low from what I normally ran. The nail head was almost ground off so I guessed it was in there for a while. I replaced the tire and added Ride On to the new one. I believe it works.

#5 ·
I have used it on the last 2 sets of tires - the tires stayed balanced lost very little pressure over the course of a year and lasted longer....

Good stuff

#6 ·
I tried ride on
Ran over a nail and there was ride on sprying all over the place...

Two min later the tire was flat...

I stopped buying it. I was realy hoping it was the product that would allow for a worry free ride when a long way from home

#7 ·
I don't use Ride-on, but I believe I read somewhere (perhaps on their web site) that the product will not prevent loss of air if the object protrudes into/out of the sidewall. It would normally work as advertised if the pointy thingy went through the treaded area. :confused::confused: correct?? incorrect???

I used dyna beads on my Goldwings and they worked as advertised. I haven't had to purchase anything like that yet....ride is smooth .... so far. cheers

#8 ·
My nail went threw the tread
but maybe it was a fluke that it didnt seal

#10 ·
I use Ride-On and hope the added protection will help but at the same time I know that it only protects 1-1.5" from the center of the tire to each side. As long as all the debris I catch ends up in the narrow band I'm good!

#12 ·
I use it for the balancing effect on tires. The potential sealing of a small puncture is gravy. Bet ride on will seal a puncture better than dyna beads.....:D
cheers

#13 ·
I have it in my tires and plan to do a puncture test soon at my upcoming tire change. I'll do the drill test along with riding over a board with a nail or two protruding. My guess, it will spray the **** all over the place. But, it does a great job balancing the wheels!

I have had nails and staples in previous tires, and as long as they are in the tire, it never lost pressure (before I started using ride on).

Based on the results of my puncture test, I may go to airsoft pellets. I believe the larger diameter pellets (and lower cost) will do a better job of balancing and distributing themselves than the dynabeads. Actually, dyna beads come in a variety of sizes.... the larger ones go in during tire mounting, while I believe the smaller (and IMO, less effective) beads were a concession for those who wanted to add to an already mounted tire.

#14 ·
I have it in my tires and plan to do a puncture test soon at my upcoming tire change. I'll do the drill test along with riding over a board with a nail or two protruding. My guess, it will spray the **** all over the place. But, it does a great job balancing the wheels!
That's a wonderful idea. I should have done that at my last tire change, but now that you mentioned this, I will run over a few nails to test it right before I change the tires again. :cool:

#15 ·
HMMMMMmmmm awaiting puncture test results before i decide..I like that I can reuse the dynabeads in my next tire..I dont like the fact that if a pucture happens I could have a hell of a mess on my hands not counting the fact it wont seal the hole...

#16 ·
Until someone proves it different, I think it's safe to believe the Ride-On video demonstration. If you have not seen it yet, here it is:

#17 ·
I have ride-on in my tires and yes I lost air from the tire all summer long. Air does seal out the side Walls and thats normal. Tires are a porous rubber.
Ride-on says the product clings to the center of the tire not the side walls.
Ride-on only seals certain size puncture so yes a big nail like a 8 penny it might not seal where it will seal a 6 penny.
Dyna beads only balance where ride-on seals and we all hope seals when were in the back roads doing what we love,

#18 ·
Centramatics

I had a set of Centramatic wheel balancers on my Goldwing. I have been bugging these guys since I got my wife's 1st CR to make them for a Victory. A few weeks back I got to ride a Vision with them on. I ordered 2 sets on the spot. Until they come in, I went ahead and put Dyna beads in both bikes until we change out tires. The dyna beads did not do as much for me as the Centramatics do.

They run about $300 for a set but they never wear out and can be moved from bike to bike. They seem a bit costly at 1st but on the GW I increased tire life on the rear by 20 -25% and on the front by 25 - 30%. Taking that into consideration and the replacement cost of either dyna beads or Ride on I break even fairly fast.

I also carry tire plugs and a compressor at all times. So far I haven't had to use it. cheers

Here is the website and I see that they haven't updated it yet to include Victory bikes but they are available.

http://centramatic.com

#19 ·
The vid for Ride On and similar vids for other products show standing or close to standing punctures. Sources of punctures in the vids are of similar diameter and are removed after puncture and the punctures themselves are similar and in a specific area of the tire.
What you can believe in from the vids is that if you have a puncture of a certain size, type and location, the source of which does not remain in the tire, and it happens at a standstill or very low speed then there is good cause to believe that the puncture will seal. Any other assumption about these products abilities to repair tire puncture is not validated by the demonstrations.

Another thing is that assuming it does work, you are left with a tire that may have lost a pound or two but otherwise you might have no idea that it has a hole in it. That isn't a comfortable position to be in.

Regardless, I been thinking I'll try this stuff out because I have had slow speed tire punctures where the nail came out and I was left on the side of the road wishing for a plug and a compressor. Just because it's not an absolute solution doesn't mean it's useless.

As far as balancing goes...
1. Is it even necessary on a motorcycle wheel? Maybe so, maybe not, maybe only if out of balance conditions present themselves while under way. You are a whole lot more likely to hear a guy say "I was washing the bike and I see where my wheel weights come unglued" than you are to hear him say" I had to get the bike towed home cuz my weights flew off and it rode like a rodeo bull".
2. Do liquid additives work ? Do beads work? Plenty of us insist they do. Odd that the proofs are testimonials and You Tube vids but you can't find ironclad data that shuts up us doubters. Just doesn't seem right that after the amount of time that these things have been on the market, someone can't produce stats that demonstrate that they work as well as or better than weights or nothing for that matter, and that the use of them empirically increases tire life or wear characteristics or something.
Now don't go hating because you invested in Dynabeads or whatever and spent part of a Sunday trying to get more stuff in your tire than on it. If it gives you peace of mind for a few bucks and you believe that it improves anything then it's money well spent. Screw what anybody else thinks.
I just can't reconcile a world full of tire balancing equipment with the lack of alternate pour in options when you go for tires. Hell, you would think that the shop would put up signs saying balance with weights- free, balance with pour in product of your choice -20 bucks and then push the 20 dollar option. Just saying...

#20 ·
You make some good points but for me the proof is in the results. Goldwings are notorious for front wheel cupping even when the tire pressure is correct and the tire was balanced at the time of installation. Adding in my case the Centramatic balancer eleiminated the problem and as a result I got more mileage from the front tire. On the Vision, I do not have the same issues in the front as the Goldwing but I do think the ride will be improved once I get them on the bike. I am not sold on the Dynabeads after having ridden now on both. cheers

#21 ·
The Centramatic option has some history Larry. I have seen fleets of split wheels using them. Those guys don't spend money on short hop freight rigs and garbage trucks unless they are sold that the value outweighs the cost. Even then though, it amazes me that there isn't a pile of fleet maintenance records to support the claims. I read heat test stuff that would indicate improved longevity, less heat = longer life, but there must be countless millions of miles on these critters. Why so little back up for the guys that want to see savings on paper before they pull the trigger?
I have to admit that I have never seen a Centramatics on a bike. I would like to see it. Does it take away from the visual presentation of the wheel?

#22 ·
The front balancers mount inside of the disk brakes. Unless you are looking for them they are not noticeable. The rear mounts directly to the drive pulley and is pretty much invisible. It is really hard to explain how they effect the ride but you can feel a difference. The bike just feels more stable running down the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.