Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Klockwerks cracked

8K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  sixshooter_45 
#1 ·
Just went out to the garage to get a cold one from the fridge and noticed that my Klockwerks sheild has started cracking aroun the top bolt. This normal ? It's been on the bike for months and just did a 600 mile ride last weekend and I know it was'nt there yesterday? :mad:

#2 ·
Hmmm I will have to watch mine. I just put one on about a month ago. Have not been on a long trip on it yet. You did not tighten the mounting screws to tight did you? I forgot what the torque spec is they call for to tighten them. I know it is not much. Call them up or take it back to whoever you got it from. I hope this is not normal.

#3 ·
Which mounting system do you have? If I recall the first group had an alingment issue and one washer between the bolt and the screen. There were numerous issues with cracking like you desribe. Once corrected the newer version had a washer on both sides of the screen. If in fact you have one of the early versions I believe the we're replacing the screens with the newer version at no cost to the original purchaser.

#7 ·
This is correct, on all windshields make sure you have the washer on both sides of the windshield. My Vic flip cracked and it was replaced because it was not installed correctly by dealer with both washers.

#5 ·
What have you used to clean it? I'm not sure but if it's Lexan any cleaner with a petrolium base will crack it at any screw hole. We use lexan for saftey guards and have crack them many times with different cleaners.

#6 ·
Just checked my Flip and it is also cracked, at the left bottom bolt. Only person to touch shield as far as the bolts is dealer. Hope he does something for me.

#8 ·
Yep, it's a standard problem. From what Klockwerks said the problem was that the actual windshield mounting differed from the 3-D CAD file that Victory sent them. Mine cracked soon after I put it on as well and they replaced it. Like others have said you have to use a rubber washer on both sides of the windshield. Mine has now been free of cracks for quite some time now.

#9 ·
Just contact the Victory dealer you bought it from and let them know that yours has cracked. They will issue you an RMA and send you a new one. The only real difference in the original and the new appears to be a few extra rubber washers which (to be quite honest, I was a bit leery of originally) appears to stop the new ones from cracking. I was something like the 3rd person to buy one. When mine cracked I waited for the resolution and may have been the second person to have gotten the solution. I've had no cracking since the replacement some 6 months ago.

#10 ·
Thanks gents for all the replys. I did only have one washer per bolt with the kit and was very carefull when tightening the bolts a few months ago when I recieved it. Hopefully their will be the right amount of washers with the replacement or off to the hardware store we go.

In regards to cleaners. Ive only used plexus. If their is a better product then please tell.

I contacted kate at Hondaeasttoledo where I bought the shield and she has another ready to go. Very nice to work with and she responds very quickly. thumb up

#11 ·
Okay, to bring up an old thread. I have just over 2,000 miles and low and behold I have a crack on the upper left mount of the Klockwerks shield. Called dealer and I also called Klockwerks direct. Klockwerks says they have nothing to do with it and don't even stock it since it is through Victory, was told that I must go direct through dealer. No big deal, but I know how these things work...dealer calls Victory, we all wait a long time and maybe, just maybe they will cover it. I really think it is bad that Klockwerks is washing their hands of it.

To those of you who have had it replaced....what was the timeframe and process? I plan on an extended ride this weekend and I can almost watch the crack getting bigger. Would be nice to not have to worry about it. Thanks
Personal protective equipment Automotive design Tire Automotive wheel system Vehicle

#12 ·
Okay, to bring up an old thread. I have just over 2,000 miles and low and behold I have a crack on the upper left mount of the Klockwerks shield. Called dealer and I also called Klockwerks direct. Klockwerks says they have nothing to do with it and don't even stock it since it is through Victory, was told that I must go direct through dealer. No big deal, but I know how these things work...dealer calls Victory, we all wait a long time and maybe, just maybe they will cover it. I really think it is bad that Klockwerks is washing their hands of it.

To those of you who have had it replaced....what was the timeframe and process? I plan on an extended ride this weekend and I can almost watch the crack getting bigger. Would be nice to not have to worry about it. Thanks
View attachment 7786
I bought mine from Kate at Honda east and she responded quickly and I had a new shield (warranteed) with in a 10 day turn around.
Klockwerks has since fixed the issue with better hardware but since you can only buy these shields from a Victory dealer, That is the route you have to take. The original batch had mount issues.

#13 ·
Since Klockwerks won't stand behind them directly, i am surprised they let their name be associated with it.

Interesting business decision:confused:

You might want to try a Cee Bailey's?

#15 ·
Klockwerks DOES stand behind their products but they don't distribute them DIRECTLY themselves. Rather, Victory has an agreement with the Klocks to market them to their customers. THAT is why you HAVE to go back to the dealer that sold you the product to get a replacement just the same as ANY product that came through a dealer.

If you think about it, this is the most efficient and logical way for ANY small company to operate. The dealer networks as a collective have FAR more resources to look at, and to troubleshoot issues. If you mounted it correctly when you got it your local dealer can assess that installation whereas a representative from Klockwerks across a telephone line would have a difficult time doing that same process and they are not about to send someone out to inspect individual wind shields for a product that sells for less than $200.

As for replacement duration... That depends almost SOLELY on your dealer. As you have seen here, most get them in less than 10 days. It only took me about 2 days to get my replacement because the dealer I bought mine through had one in stock in their warehouse so they shipped me the replacement unit and I returned the cracked on in the same box.

#16 · (Edited)
I'm glad I came across this thread as I just installed my Victory Klockworkz flip windshield and it only came with one rubber and metal washer for each bolt. I'll go to the hardware store for some more soon...

I'll probably go with a little larger rubber and metal washer all the way around as it seems that the drilled holes in the windshield were too big as the rubber washer would almost fall through the hole if you weren't paying close attention.

This may be why some are cracking also. Those drilled holes are way to big.

#18 ·
Any more info and details on the cracking? My second Klockwerks just cracked at the same spot as the 1st, in about the same time frame. This one the dealership installed so they could make sure it was done by spec, they have heard of others cracking but had not had any return to them until mine. I got just under a month out of use and about a thousand miles before they cracked. Bottom left bolt heading down and left away from the mount.

#20 · (Edited)
For what it's worth:

I bought my XCT new in January (I saw the crate), and picked it up from the dealer in March. The dealer installed the Klock Werks Flare for me (in March, after I called to tell him that the snow was on its way out -- would he please put the bike together in the next two weeks), free of labor charge (I ordered the Flare when I bought the bike), because the bikes don't come with any windshield installed, so he had to put one on, anyway.

I put 8,600 miles on the bike since then, and no cracks are present or, from what I can tell, starting.

I just went out to the garage and took some pics, and attached is one of the clearer ones. It appears that there are two rubber washers underneath a metal washer in each of the four holes. You'll also see a reflection of this stack; I have no idea what's on the other side, i.e., behind the fairing mounts, and no immediate plans to take the fairing off (again). Peeking down the inside of the Flare, there doesn't appear to be anything between the Flare and the dash mount area.

I vaguely recall snugging these up once this year, and that the bolts weren't loose, so that I didn't really need to have bothered.

Attachments

#25 ·
#26 ·
I dont believe the cracking is a real structural problem, if you get a crack the shield is not going to explode or anything. I know a guy running a different shield on a different bike with cracks by all the holes, been like that for several years.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#27 ·
Well that's all good info. PHEW thumb up

So using multiple rubber washer's is a good idea? Like 2 rubber washers on the screw side and one on the glass side per hole? Or just one on each side?

#31 ·
Here is some more detail... When Victory originally shipped the KW flare, they only included four rubber washers and the diagram/instructions indicated to put one each between the head of the bolt and the windscreen. Almost EVERYBODY who installed them that way got cracks within a few thousand miles. Some of those old instructions are still out there and dealers (yes, DEALERS) have used them to install without checking to see if there were any mounting recommendations so (of course) they cracked. Some even re-installed the 2nd shield the EXACT same way thinking that it was the part that was made wrong. Those also cracked.

The new "official" Victory instructions that come with each new shield now say to put two of the rubber washers in that same location (between head and outside of plexi) and then to ALSO put a rubber washer on the INSIDE of the plexi between the screen and the mounting supports on the bike itself. The Victory kit's rubber washers for that component of the application some with self stick adhesive that you can use to help keep them where they are suppose to be as you put the plexi in place.

#28 ·
Just follow the directions, install all the bolts loosely then tighten all 4, dont install one then tighten then try to install more.

#29 ·
That's using some good common sense. :D

#30 ·
9yrs in assembling wheel loaders, nothing fits right so you cant tighten anything till its all together! haha

#33 ·
Mine is on now for almost 3 years. the 1st (clear) one cracked in 30 days. The replacement (tint) went on with the new install kit. rubber adhesive washers on both sides of shield holes. Set all 4 screws evenly and snug. Not tight! I used Loctite and have not had one problem. I find myself at times being to aggressive with the cleaning of the shield by pushing to hard when I polish it and still no problems. The key is snug with Loctite.

#34 ·
I think that makes a lot of sense. Loctite, and snugging them up with a moderate amount of pressure evenly. Then just riding. Thanks man.

#35 ·
between the 2 posts that we are all going back n forth on you should be able to make an informed decision. Love my KW but take a look at the Wind Vest as they offer the 3 heights and you are 6 ft.

#36 ·
I'll check into the Wind Vest's. I really want to keep the stock look as much as possible though. Which means anything too tall isn't going to work for me. That's my main reason for wanting a short flip. Even if that mean the wind hits the top of my helmet a little bit. I'm only changing my windhshield to keep the majority of the cold off me during the winter. During the summer, I enjoy wind, just as much as a dog with his head out the window. :)

The stock windshield will close my visor when I want it open a crack to defog. That's frustrating.

#37 ·
I have 16,500 on my Klockwerks winshield with one set of rubber washers with no cracks.

I just made sure that the rubber washers were centered in relationship to the hole as the holes were oversized and tightened them down evenly whilst not over tightening them.

I believe that it would have been easy to mis-locate the rubber and have the steel washer pressing on the plexi possibly causing a crack since the holes were oversized.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.