Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

"marbles in a tin can" noise

8K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  CrossRoads 
#1 ·
Has anyone else heard a "marbles in a tin can" type of noise coming from the right side of the bike, possibly the transmission on my 2009 Jackpot?

It is not present all the time, it comes and goes, but it is an unsettling sound, possibly of impending doom, like the transmission is going to explode!

This may only apply to the 6-speed trans.
And then again it may not be coming from the trans.

I’ve checked for loose nuts/bolts and even removed the aluminum belt shield/gauge because I thought the belt may have been hitting it or rattling against it, not to mention it looks like $hit.
I also have changed the pipes for better performance, before doing so I thought the noise might have been a bad baffle or loose pipe!

If anyone has an idea what it might be please get back to me. The mechanic at the dealership took it for a ride and didn’t hear anything nor has he heard of that issue before.

I attribute this to being the biggest issue with owning a Victory, most mechanic’s at Victory dealerships in my area work on several different bikes, mostly jap bikes, so their knowledge of a Victory is only general issues, no Victory experts in my area that I know of!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I had a noise on my 07 Kingpin that ended up being the drive belt rubbing on the inside of pulley cover and engine casting. I had lowered my bike and this reduced the clearance. I took a die grinder and removed some material. Also check your belt tension, if it's loose, it may contact the cover/case.

#4 ·
Did it sound like what I was describing? I just got back from a ride after reading what you wrote, it seems like it could be coming from the pully cover. My bike has a lowering kit on it as well, plus a 45 degree rake kit which lowers it even more. I bought it that way.

How does it reduce the clearance? I'll take the cover off and see if I see any signs of rubbing but the belt itself looks fine. So you removed material from the inside of the cover? Do you by any chace have pics of it posted on this forum? Either way I will check the cover for signs of rubbing. Thanks for the info!!!!

#3 ·
Did you check the bolt on the front drive sprocket to see if its tight. Did you check the sprocket to see that the spines are not striped.
I remember a past post where something to do with it the sprocket having something bad there stripped splines or loose nut something like that.

#5 ·
I didn't check the bolt but I did check the pully/sprocket for play.
The post you are talking about was a recall or bulletin about the rear pully/sprocket (but I could be wrong). I didn't think it applied to my bike because it was a stock one and the one I have is a Ness. If it was for the front then maybe that's the problem!
I guess I should research that a little more. Thanks!!!!

#7 ·
I wish it would be that easy half_crazy! lol
93 octane isn't good enough for a Victory?
Never anything less than that!

#8 ·
Maybe I should check the bike again and see if the guy that sold it to me mounted a small tin can with marbles in it somewhere! LOL!!!

#9 ·
Instead of making yourself nuts, take a ride to Westerly RI and see Kyle or at least put a call out to him. Your pretty much on the money with multi line dealership techs not knowing a whole lot about Victorys.

#15 ·
Chassis Ears. Google it.
Buck and change on the interwebs.
Short money for good data when noises are driving you crazy.
If you go that route the wired set rocks. It's clunky to work with on a bike but the wireless version is junk.
Use tape and zip ties to keep everything tidy while riding. You can't have the wires flapping around. Vinyl electric tape isn't as much of a sticky mess as duct tape on your finishes.
Sometimes it doesn't sort out the exact culprit but it does eliminate most of the guesswork.

#16 ·
I don't have a clue what you are talking about!
Mechanic's stethoscope is all that came up when I googled it.

#17 ·
http://www.steelmantools.com/06600.htm

Chassis Ears is a stethoscope like a C5A is a haywagon.

You use it in motion to isolate noise origin while underway.

If you can replicate the noise at a standstill then a stethoscope may work fine. Heck, a piece of hardwood dowel may work fine. If you need to be moving to make it happen then Chassis Ears is a
handy option.

#18 ·
I hope I am not repeating something some else said, but try grabbing the rear rotor and shaking it, these are floating discs and sometimes the rivots loosen up a bit and it rattles when hitting bumps or even when dragging the motor down low and puttin some of that Vic torque to work and chugging up to speed.

#19 ·
Thanks g9volt, I did shake the rear rotor and nothing until I torqued it towards the rear of the bike and heard a clunk, this is with the rear wheel on the ground, will get it on a lift and see how loose it really is then get the torque specs and tighten it up!

But that wasn’t the noise I described, it was coming from the drive belt hitting the front cover, there is wear on the right top side of the belt, looks like it is hitting the cut out or boss where the top bolt on the cover is. When riding season is over I’ll take the front cover off to confirm it and probably install a open cover from Witch Doctor.
Thanks for the info mentioned in post #2 from Kingpin50. Thanks for the heads up info!

On another note: What’s with the squeak sound when I let the clutch out, not first gear, but most of the other shifts. What is in need of grease??? Or is this normal and I'm still used to riding an HD?

#21 ·
Yes there are pics in my photo album, let me know if you can view them or not.
The pipes on the bike in the pictures are the Victory swept, I've since installed the RPW slash pipes.

Here is a picture of the belt, notice the top right edge, I think that is what's causing the noise.

Attachments

#22 ·
Here's another pic showing the problem you have owning a nice bike around here. If you want to keep your bike you better be packin' when the thieves catch a glimpse of it! LOL

Attachments

#23 ·
Damn good lookin' bike brother!

Hope you don't mind if I'm a little envious.

Packin', in my humble opinion, is something every man and woman should be doing these days and not just because of theft. Time to get used to the feel of packin' because the days of Traditional America are over as of last Tuesday - sorry to say.

Don't be a victim. Be armed. Be ready. Be safe.

If I'm wrong the worst thing that could happen is you are over prepared. I'd rather err on the side of caution than get caught on the other side of this.

Just sayin'...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.