Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Impulse buy---Vegas low

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  BBob 
#1 ·
Sooo, I got back into riding about 3 or 4 years ago and every since I've been trading one bike for the other. I decided i had to put a stop to trading bikes but last Saturday I was taking a short ride on my 1800 vtx when I stopped in at the local Victory dealer. I sat on a Vegas, near the door and then turned to leave and the owner started talking to me about an 08 Vegas low he just acquired with 9 , yes I said nine miles on it. Bottom line is I traded my vtx without allot of heavy thought. I'm not overly sad about not having the vtx, but now I've come to realize that I've got to not only purchase a pillion seat, but foot pegs for the passenger. The wife sometimes rides with me. I'm 300 lbs. She's, let's say 150 . Did I make a mistake or is it just a slight case of buyers remorse after I had decided not to trade anymore? Just for an FYI, my other bike is a yamaha Stryker.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your first Vic. I'm sure you got you a good deal on the Vegas or you would still be on the VTX. You may be ok with the Mrs if she is a short haul rider, I believe the low is going to have a lil stiffer ride so that could be an issue Over the VTX. Engine wise I think you are going to really enjoy it. I guess I'm saying if you ride it 90% of the time and she's jumping on for say trips etc you are going to be fine. Vegas low us a great Lookin bike. Should be fine. Safe riddin

Tim

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it will be me 90% of the time and the wife and I an hour here and there. I can say that the overall appearance and quality appear to be much better than the vtx. I think I'll have a much better feel for the victory once I put the windshield and lower fork deflectors on.

#4 ·
Well I think you got a lot if bike to play with. Make sure to update you signature with hear model and accessories so we can quickly help in the future. Plenty of good folks herecwilling to help. Get a pic up in the Vegas forum when you can and enjoy the new ride. Safe riddin

#6 ·
Congrats on your Vegas. I purchased a Vegas myself not too long ago. My Vegas is the first street bike I've ever personally owned, though I've been riding for nearly 40 years.

Anyway, don't get a pinion. They aren't worth the cost. Go straight to Mustang Seats (mustangseats.com), and order the wide touring seat. Don't even think twice about it, like you didn't when you bought the Vegas, just trust me and do it. I rode the stock seats, with my girlfriend for a couple of weeks. Any significant bump just goes straight through to your spine. Any ride over 60 minutes, and you'll want to stop for a break.

Then I put on the Mustang Seats. I just got back from a 7 hour trip on the bike, through central and northern Arizona. It was lovely. The occasional hard jolt that can't be absorbed by the bike's suspension, gets eaten up by those seats, and you just don't get that spine compressing effect any more.

I will say, that you will sit about 1-2" higher off the ground with the touring seats. That took some getting used to. You kind of lose that low to the ground, sitting "within" the bike feel. But the comfort on long hauls, in my opinion, more than makes up for it.

#8 ·
Go straight to Mustang Seats (mustangseats.com), and order the wide touring seat. Don't even think twice about it, like you didn't when you bought the Vegas, just trust me and do it.
+1

good point here. Got a mustang on my TC and have rode 18k and one ride was 22 hours in the saddle. A very long day but was easily right back on it the next day while my riding buddy was crying bout his seat. He didn't ride that day.

#10 ·
I would never say anything but since you asked. At 300 lbs (I'm on the heavy side too) a Kingpin, or even better, an XR would probably fit you better. The Kingpin and XR have an extra inch of travel in the rear shock that can really make a difference on rough roads. Especially when riding 2 up. Might be something to think about in the future if you get that impulse again.

Nothing wrong with the Vegas though. Damn fine bike and other than some sheet metal and rear shock; there's really not much difference between it and the KP. Well, the front end is different, but not really enough to make the ride that different IMHO.

Either way; welcome to world of Victory - the other white meat. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.