Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Modified trunk light - 4710 and 2 LED strips

12K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Tims_04V92TC 
#1 ·
Here's a short video of my taillight modification.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMbLdSK2MTQ&feature=youtu.be
It looks like in taillight mode that it's slightly flashing. It's not. That's just due to the camera I was using.
My mod uses a Kuryakyn 4710 module which connects the trunk lights to the bike's run, turn, and brake lights. I then found on Amazon 2 (two) 19" red LED strips. They're run one to each side so they work independently.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/DEDC-Waterproof-Undercar-Strip-decoration/dp/B00965SPKC/ref=sr_1_57?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1350540084&sr=1-57&keywords=red+led+light+strip+waterproof[/ame]

#3 ·
looks good!!!! Im chomping at the bit to install my LED upgrades... Just waiting on ONE more stinking part to do it all at once.. sigh... I was torn between the split leds for the trunk or the single... I went single and will be wiring the truns into running/turns...

Well done and thanks for posting!

#4 ·
Wadcutter thank for posting, this is exactly what I've been considering doing to improve rear visibility.
In add'n to the 4710 and LED strips (I'd already decided to do 2 split ones like yours) is there a list of other parts (ie other bulbs for the trunk lights to burn low/high etc) that you can advise on .
Also, do you remember the brank of the LED strips adn did they fit well. I'd looked at some at Walmart but they seem a bit too "wide" or thick to really fit very well.
Thanks again for the post, nice to see what it looks like in operation.

#5 ·
Doing something similar to Wadcutter's mod without the 4710. I purchased my LED's here, very good price and delivery.
http://www.oznium.com/flexible-led-strips

For my front end lighting, here is the link for the swtichbacks as well as some other replacement bulbs that may help.
http://autolumination.com/switchback.html

I just received the clear lens for the front and will be starting my mod within the next few days. Will post results as well. We all need a more visible brake/turn I think. Even my Goldwing buddies were ragging me for that much plastic having such low visibility.

Good luck!

Tim

#6 ·
Is there an advantage to using the 4710 over the built in trailer pigtail in that configuration? I have the same year (and color) Vision, and accomplished what you did, without the 4710. I'm not sure about prior years, but my '11 came prewired (taped off) for trailer wiring... left / right / brake override / running (tail) lights. Isn't that all you're doing with the 4710?

Just asking, because it seems redundant ...

#8 · (Edited)
Is there an advantage to using the 4710 over the built in trailer pigtail in that configuration? I have the same year (and color) Vision, and accomplished what you did, without the 4710. I'm not sure about prior years, but my '11 came prewired (taped off) for trailer wiring... left / right / brake override / running (tail) lights. Isn't that all you're doing with the 4710?
Just asking, because it seems redundant ...
Nope, different. The 4710 converts the existing trunk lights to running/turn/brake. Connecting to the trailer wiring won't do that. Have to run one additional wire to separate the 2 trunk light circuits with the 4710.
Where did you find your trailer wiring? I am mounting my hitch when it warms a bit and haven't looked for the wiring yet. I was told it was tucked in behind the right saddle bag but haven't looked.

#7 ·
These are the LED strips I used. Click this Amazon link.
www.amazon.com/DEDC-Waterproof-Undercar-Strip-decoration/dp/B00965SPKC/?tag=5336105930-20
They come from China but took 9 days to arrive. Better shipping time than ordering a lot of stuff from here in the states. Price was $6.49 per strip. They're only 1/4" wide so they easily fit in the lip under the trunk lid and the lid still closes fine without hitting them. These LED strips are very flexible and easily form to the shape of the trunk. When the bike is sitting and the lights aren't on you barely notice them because they're in the trunk lid gap. These LED strips are each 19" long so they each go from the center of the rear of the trunk to about 3" in front of the trunk lights also giving good side light addition. If you don't want your lights going along the side as far, or if you want you lights to extend farther around the trunk the company has other links. I wanted the side lights but didn't want to go too far where red would be showing to the front so I went with 19". I think they have them as short as 4" if that's all a person wanted.
Where the wires are run are at the front end of each strip. Where the 19" strip ends there's a slight gap in the trunk lid and inner lining. I used a 4" piece of shrink wrap over the wires at the base of the LED strip wires to give it a bit of insulation where it would run in the trunk lid gap. The wires are pretty fine gauge. Then I just connected the LEDs in to the existing trunk light wiring. When doing this make sure you connect the wires correctly or the LEDs won't work. If you connect them backwards they won't work. Just reverse the connection. The red striped LED wire goes to the hot side of the trunk light.
I went to OReilley's and got a package of 3M double sided tape. It's 1/2" wide so I cut it in 1/2 making 2 1/4" strips. I mounted 1 1/4" strip on the top of the lip and the other strip on the back of the lip. That way when I mounted the LEDs they are attached on 2 sides. Before installing the 3M tape give the trunk lip a good washing with soap and water and then a good wipe down with alcohol to make sure it's clean. When the 3M tape is applied it's stuck for sure.
No other bulbs are needed. The factory trunk bulbs are stock. It appears the way the 4710 module works is it cuts voltage to the lights in the running mode so the lights are just slightly dimmer than factory. Not much and can't notice it really. Then when you use the brakes or turn signal it uses the normal 12V which brightens the lights. Only way I can figure out it brightens them.

Here are what the LEDs look like mounted.

#9 · (Edited)
Edited after Wadcutters clarification.. Thanks WC!!

#10 ·
I found the trailer wiring coming off the main rear harness, under the seat, along the right side of the frame, kinda tucked up under the plastic panel above the saddle bag. It's a little pigtail, with the four wires bent back and taped over individually.

#13 ·
LED lights

W.C.,
You did a great job explaining how to install the LEDs on the bike and on how to tie into the two trunk lights.
Where/how do you tie into the wires with the 4710? Did you have to run additional wires? Where does the 4710 go when the installation is complete?
Your video looks great and the pics you show help out a lot. I just need a little more information, then it's off to order and wait for parts..... Can't wait for this mod....
VicGreg

#14 ·
Where/how do you tie into the wires with the 4710?
I used the .pdf from another forum.
http://www.vision-riders.com/files/Kuryakin4710VisionInstall.pdf
It's simpler than it looks. Once you get in to it the pictures become clearer.
Your wiring harness runs under the seat on the right side. It's wrapped in black tape. Strip back some of the tape and you'll find the various colored wiring. The wiring on the 4710 comes with labels. Lay it out and separate the wires. Make sure you don't remove any of the small labels. They make it really easy.
The last page of the .pdf tells which colored wire on the 4710 connects to the colored wire on the harness.
The green/pink wire is the only wire that needs to be cut. The end of the green/pink from the front of the bike connects to the blue 4710 input wire and the end of the cut green/pink that goes towards the rear of the bike connects to the brown 4710 output wire.
You will need to run the additional wire to the left trunk light. The violet output wire connects to this new wire. At the left trunk light cut the white/pink wire about 2" from the light socket. Tape the cut end that goes to the front of the bike. The 2" end then connect your new wire. I removed the inner trunk lid liner and ran it thru that space to get it out of the way. Also need the trunk lid liner removed or at least loose to run the LED wiring to the trunk lid lights.
On your bike harness under the seat you'll find a white/red striped wire, a blue wire, and a blue/pink striped wire.
Tap the red input wire from the 4710 to the white/red striped harness wire.
Tap the violet input wire from the 4710 to the blue harness wire.
Tap the brown input wire from the 4710 to the blue/pink striped harness wire.
There's a couple of bolts under the seat to the frame. Connect the black (ground) wire to one of the bolts.
The red wire on the 4710 isn't used. I rolled it up and taped it so the end was covered.
There are a couple of loads that come with the 4710. Those are not needed.
Make sure you don't have any bare wires. I taped everything up into a wrapped harness, found a place under the seat under the center of the trunk, and tucked it in so there was clearance when the seat was replaced.

Did you have to run additional wires?
The .pdf pictures says to run 1 extra wire. I ran 2. The wiring to the trunk lights is just 1 wire. Since they need to operate independently of each other another wire has to be run so to split them apart. I ran 2 new wires - one to each side from the 4710.
Fish the wires from the trunk lid on tghe right side. They'll come out under the seat under the right speaker area. Be careful if using a stiff wire to run the wires so you don't poke a hole in the speaker. You'd have to work at it some to get the probe wire in the speaker but if you're anything like me if I can find a way to damage something then it will happen.

Where does the 4710 go when the installation is complete?
Under the seat. The .pdf file put it in the opening under the seat under the trunk. Just fold the wires in neatly and then watch where you put it. There's clearance under the seat.
I put mine near the opening under the trunk. The 4710 comes with a plug in "stick" that operates the flashing brake lights. When the stick is plugged in the brake lights flash 4 times then stay on. Remove the stick and the brake lights come on normally without flashing. I wanted to be able to get to the stick in case somebody has problems with flashing brake lights. Flashing brake lights are not legal in IL and some other states. I figure if stopped then I can reach thru the bottom compartment in the trunk and reach the stick to unplug it without having to remove the seat.

Can't wait for this mod....
I'm really happy with the way it turned out. It makes a big difference particularly at night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.