Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Jackpot handling

23K views 57 replies 24 participants last post by  Kingpin50 
#1 ·
Ok so I don't know if it just me but I'm having a tough time trying to get used to the jackpot/wide tire. So bought the bike at the beginning of summer and had kind of a "accident" and burnt my arm hand and back at a camp fire. (Little to much fire water if you know what I mean) So I was out of work and riding the bike for a month, and so far have only put 1000 miles on it. At first I was having a problem with it leaning to the right a little to much went to dealer n they said it's normal actually removing the bazooka Joe exhaust helped a lot. But it still seams at high speed around corners it just feels a little sloppy. (I know it won't be as good as my gsxr was) but I just feel like I'm not going to make it around some left hand turns, I don't know maybe its me kind of still a little nervous after seeing a friend last year involved in a accident.

Also I sometimes get a weird feeling when I get over 40-50 it feels like I'm getting pulled off the bike and it's kind of wobbley. I just ordered a quick disconnect windshield to see if this helps any.

I really do like riding and enjoy it and love the look of my bike maybe I just need to settle down n put some more miles on her, but I've been trying to decide on maybe trading it is for a highball or judge or something with a smaller tire?

Has anyone else experienced this? All thoughts appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Fat tire takes a little getting used to. Mine is fine at speed but I don't use a windshield so a lot of air. Make sure tire pressure is correct

#3 ·
What is the correct tire pressure? Stock Dunlop elite 3

#5 ·
Just checked 40 front 39 rear

#6 ·
How many miles on tires. BTW I have the Dunlops and I think they suck. Metzs for me once these start to show some wear. Hate the ass end sliding when you hit the rear brake for a quick stop

#7 ·
Original tires so 1050 I believe

#8 ·
The larger the rear tire, the HARDER it is going to be to turn. That is simply a matter of FACT. Now, many get use to it. I always thought I wanted a Ness JP but never actually demo'd one prior to deciding that I wanted a bagger & bought my Ness XC instead back in '11. I didn't get a chance to ride a Jackpot until the demo truck came to the Gastonia/Lowell Indian/Victory dealership so I was looking forward to it.

Rode the JP @ that evernt and right away I noticed the turns were going to require a LOT more effort. I came into it KNOWING that would be the case so it didn't take me by surprise. I rode it as 'hard' as I could in mixed company and a limited road selection but had fun but it was WORK getting it all the way over. When I got back on my XC, it was effortless and I realized how fortunate I was to have "skipped over" the JP. I still LOVE the LOOK of that bike and I know that I could live with the ride characteristics but they ARE harder to ride and DO require a good bit more effort and concentration. In the end, the JP is one of the most beautiful cruisers available but IMHO they aren't designed for long 3-6 hour rides. As a bar hopper and short poker run, they are a BLAST!!!

#9 ·
Ok so I don't know if it just me but I'm having a tough time trying to get used to the jackpot/wide tire...
Your new best friend's name is Steer! Yes, Mr. Counter Steer. If you have not met him, I highly recommend a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) approved class, where you will meet Mr. Counter Steer. thumb up

If you already know him, get to know him better - he's your new best friend. cheers

#10 ·
Haha, yea I did take a MSF course kind of forgot about counter steer to be honest but after Googling it I refreshed myself and ill have to check that out.

#11 ·
Hammer

At a demo ride I took out one of the Hammers. I must admit I liked the looks,but did not like the handling. I could get use to it,but you do really have to push on those handlebars to get it to turn quickly. I have read on here a number of the guys with them are going for the Metzler tire on the rear. They say it helps it steer much better. I sat on a new Judge the other day, and I think it would be a blast to ride.

#12 ·
Yea I heard the metzlers were nice but really don't want to spend the money when these tires are practically brand new. Maybe it will b worth it I don't know

#13 ·
The Mets tires turn way better. If you look at the Dunlop from the back you will notice that is kinda got a flatter look to it. The Mets are round.I couldnt believe how much better my bike turned with the Mets tire. and thats also with a 10.5 wheel and 280 vs the stock 8.5 and 250.

#14 ·
Yea and I'm guessing it's not wise to run different tires front and back, if I just changed the rear and kept the stock front?

So does anyone have an opinion on the wind problem and would the windshield fix anything?

#15 ·
You'll get used to it. It was strange when I first got mine. Have to muscle it more around corners. I don't even notice it anymore. Not sure about the wobbly/being pulled off the bike feeling over 40-50 mph. I never had those issues. I always feel stable at higher speeds on the JP. I don't have a windshield. Keep riding and don't over think it. Any pics?

#20 ·
So got the Windshield in and on today, I actually don't hate the look of it kinda grew on me the more I looked at it. But riding was a huge difference, only was able to go for a quick rip but up at speed I didn't have the feeling of getting ripped off the bike. Its still a shorty windshield so I get alot of air in my face but o well. Also thanks for the advise of the counter steering it defiantly was a big help, still no sport bike but I brought her through some twistys no problem!cheers

Hope ill get some more miles on her before she goes into storage for the winter thumb up

#23 ·
Yea maybe but ive already put a decent amount into the jackpot, and everything I see her ass I fall back in love with her;)

#22 ·
The Jackpot Does require more effort on corners no doubt, but safety is your utmost concern. Ride to your skill level until it improves, most riders like the twisties, at higher than safe speeds in most cases. IMO the Jackpot cannot run like that for most riders as the bigger rear rire will not allow the bike to lean as a smaller tire bike can.

Hitting the throttle in the straight aways makes up for it:)cheers

#25 ·
Girlie bike? Does your wife shave her chest? :ltr:

#30 ·
Ok so I don't know if it just me but I'm having a tough time trying to get used to the jackpot/wide tire. I don't know maybe its me kind of still a little nervous after seeing a friend last year involved in a accident.
I really do like riding and enjoy it and love the look of my bike maybe I just need to settle down n put some more miles on her, but I've been trying to decide on maybe trading it is for a highball or judge or something with a smaller tire?

Has anyone else experienced this? All thoughts appreciated.
I don’t know why people on this forum think the jackpot is a poor handling bike because of the fat tire. My only complaint is it scraps the floorboards or pegs too easy because of the low ground clearance, but it is a cruiser not a sport bike. Ride it like the cruiser it was intended to be.
PS; it does pull to the right a little but I think it is the heavy exaust on the right side that causes this.

#32 ·
just put a metzeler 260 on my pot and compared to
the dunlop it handles way better,so much easier to
initiate a turn. just take it easy for awhile,this is a
cruiser not a sport bike and when you get ready
to spring for a new back tire definately get the
metzeler (if you shop around you can get a pretty
decent price on one),i found one for $340.00 mounted
,balanced,out the door. i agree that it is like driving an
old muscle car (its a real mans bike).thumb up

#33 ·
Well, after 7600 miles(1822 on one trip) and one year I will say this. The jackpot does require more effort to turn than the Vegas, but as far as one of the posters saying this is just a bar hopper bike, I disagree. Before going on our Gettysburg, blue ridge parkway trip I thought I should have bought a cross country. after halfway thru the parkway I was Very glad I bought the Jackpot. To each there own. I learned very early, lean when going into the corners.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.