Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Powerlet Outlet Added Through Left Side Cover

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  sand man 
#1 ·
Shortly after I bought a Burgman 650, I added a Powerlet socket through some of its tupperware, below my left thigh. I used this for five years, and found it ideal for plugging in my heated liner (and Battery Tender, too, as I replaced its SAE connector with a Powerlet plug). It doesn't have the cord get in the way, either while riding or getting on or off; the power connection for most heated gear comes out on your left side; if you choose, you can very easily connect or disconnect your cord from the socket while sitting down, e.g., just about to get going; and you can have a very short cord.

The first pic shows me on the Big Burger, with my TourMaster heated liner plugged in to the socket I added. BTW, shortly after that pic was taken, I gave that cord to a friend, and replaced it with a coiled cord from Gerbing's (the "Extension Cord Coil 90 Deg 4'" found halfway down the page at http://gerbing.com/Products/accessories.php ). If you're really old like me, you might remember those types of cords often found on telephones. This particular cord extends from about a foot to about four feet. I cut off the male coax plug and installed a Powerlet plug.

But I digress. On my XCT, I have the dash cigarette-lighter-style outlet, and I've used that a few times to power my liner (using my existing cord, and Powerlet's "Cigarette Plug To Powerlet Socket Cable," http://www.powerlet.com/product/cigarette-plug-to-powerlet-socket-cable/3 ). I also had the dealer install a Powerlet socket when the bike was new; they put that on the left front, waaay up front (about even with halfway down the front cylinder's finning), and I even used that once.

What I've wanted was a socket in the same place that I had it on the Burger, and I got around to that today. I drilled through the left side cover at what I believe is the only reasonable point to do so. I think it looks fine, with all the other black parts in the neighborhood. Incidentally, putting a socket sort of underneath the tank, in back, essentially eliminates most or all of the advantages of having it below your left thigh -- I want the cord on the outside of my leg, and your leg may block the whole thing, and I have BBob's heat shield in the area, etc.; that is, I'm aware of that spot, and vetoed it. And I don't mind drilling through tupperware.

...If, that is, I could determine the right spot, without screwing up. How I did that -- if anyone's interested in doing the same -- is described in agonizing detail on a page of my web site I just put up: http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct-powerlet-in-side-cover/ .

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Doesn't look bad at all. I have mine in front of the left cover and rear of the back cylinder. It mounts to the frame there....I use it to power my liner and my satellite receiver.

#3 ·
For me, I'd be concerned about breaking that piece or popping it off when I was forgetful. I opted for the case mounted outlet that is near the clutch cable but to each his own.

Ride safe.

#4 ·
Powerlet Case Socket

I need a power socket mounted close to passenger for Gerbing's heated gear. I purchased a Pure Polaris Powerlet Case Socket (#2858103). It was designed to stack on the battery post. Trying to figure out how to wire it into the left side wire harness on my '13 XCT. Do not want to stack the battery post. Any instructions on installing socket into left side OEM wire harness? Thanks

#5 ·
I need a power socket mounted close to passenger for Gerbing's heated gear. I purchased a Pure Polaris Powerlet Case Socket (#2858103). It was designed to stack on the battery post. Trying to figure out how to wire it into the left side wire harness on my '13 XCT. Do not want to stack the battery post. Any instructions on installing socket into left side OEM wire harness? Thanks
Short answer:

I can't help you, but maybe someone else can.

Long answer:

Could you elaborate on why you don't want to add connectors to the battery post? If you've already added a connector or two, and don't want to glom up the posts, you could get something like Powerlet's "Termin-8" ( https://www.powerlet.com/product/termin8-easier-than-fuseblock/409 ) or Eastern Beaver's "3 Circuit Solution" ( http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Fuseboxes/3_Circuit/3_circuit.html ). Either of these allows a single connection to the posts, and then you can connect other goodies to them. This is similar to adding a fuse block -- of which there are dozens to choose from (which I've done on my prior two bikes) -- but much simpler, if you don't want to get too involved in electrical work. (Incidentally, if you've never heard of Eastern Beaver, that's a reputable guy, who uses extremely high quality parts for what he fabricates. I've gotten horn-relay looms and that sort of thing from Eastern Beaver for years.)

The reason I mention the battery is that heated gear is one of the highest current draws on the bike. Using big wires, along with an in-line fuse on the hot side, connected right to the battery means that you can't screw up or overload any existing circuit on the bike. If you were adding a socket to power, say, a GPS, things would be different. I'm just sayin', in case you're new to this stuff.

#6 ·
On my XR, I mounted the cigarette socket on the left side of the frame by the clutch cable but ran the wire to the right side cover and hot wired onto the fuse box. There should be 2 unused holes on the left frame near the side cover. They take an M8 bolt. Just crimped the red wire, leaving 5 to 7 cm of bare wire. Open the fuse box, remove either the 15a or 20a fuse, insert the exposed part of the wire, re-insert the fuse. Make sure the wire is secured. Close the fuse box. Zip tie the excess wire and fuse holder out of the way. I ordered an Emgo handlebar mount cigarette version for $17(did not use the handlebar mount). I grounded onto the frame using an M8 bolt. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#7 ·
Powerlet Case Socket

Thank you for your response and instruction. These look very promising. I will give them a try. Thanks for link to Powerlet and Eastern Beaver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.