Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

2011 Jackpot Tachometer "how to install"

9K views 36 replies 8 participants last post by  Barney 
#1 ·
Got a Tach for my new 2011 Jackpot, thought I'd share some install pics. NOTE - Victory sent me the dual pod mount with the Tachometer in backwards. This threw me for awhile until I did the test fit then I saw it.

The left pic is how it came in the box, the right one is after I swapped it around and put the speedo grommet in place.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The first thing you want to do it read the instructions, mine did not come with any. Thus the reason for this writeup. Cover the fuel tank and front fender to protect the paint. Then remove 4 square head drive screws on the btm side of the headlight and pull the top lid off. Place it aside. Look in there for a wiring connector with a black cap over it, that is your new tach connection point.

Remove 4 bolts holding on the present speedometer and single pod housing. Remove the single sqaure drive bolt holding on the chrome cover on the back of the speedo. Pull it off. Use a screwdriver and carefully pry up the female connector on the harness and separate the wiring from the speedo. Place the Speedo pod and gauge aside.

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
Carefully work the speedo out of the single pod. That large grommet has a hold on it, just work it side to side. Then place the speedo grommet in the new dual pod. Orient the grommet correctly, there are two "slots" on each side of the pod to accept the grommet. This "clocks" the speedo in the right spot.

Also transfer the rubber insulators over to the new dual pod. Note where the washers lay within this install.

Install the gauge rear covers, start the square header screw and washer, tighten to spec.

Attachments

#4 ·
Place the new dual pod in position and start all 4 bolts. See where the washers go on ? Once all the bolts are started,tightne them up to spec. Run the wiring harnesses into the headlight pod uniformly.

Position the headline cover and start all 4 screws. Then tighten them to spec.

Start the bike and check for function. :)

later

Attachments

#8 ·
Why not have a separate section to hold this info

First of all, great post..and really helpful..

Moderators, it would be great to have section to capture this type of post....i know we have a technical section, but mods and how to do section would be of advantage to all users...

just my thoughts..

regards,

Derekcheers

#13 ·
You gotta have the correct tach for pre 2011 , cos from then up they go to can bus wiring which ain't compatible.
We tried to fit a 2010 tach to a mates 2011 Vegas and no go!
Maybe you have a can bus tach,
If so you may like to do a swap,
Catch is shipping OZ-USA and USA-OZ.
Tachs getting hard to get.

#14 ·
You gotta have the correct tach for pre 2011 , cos from then up they go to can bus wiring which ain't compatible.
We tried to fit a 2010 tach to a mates 2011 Vegas and no go!
Maybe you have a can bus tach,
If so you may like to do a swap,
Catch is shipping OZ-USA and USA-OZ.
Tachs getting hard to get.
Yes that's what I've got and there is seems no way to make the tach I've got work. I've done all the searching I can and the answer is always "no".
The connector in the head light bucket on my 2008 Kingpin looks nothing like what is on the tach I got, so I've given up on trying to make it work.
I do have a question and I hope that someone might know the answer: Do the generation of bike that I have (2008 Kingpin) have a wire from the ignition coil or coils in the tach connector in the headlight bucket? If you know or anyone you know, knows, please get back to me.
Thanks
Barney

#16 ·
So Barney have you got a can bus tach or not?
This is the connector on the 2010 pre can bus tach I just removed from my 2010 Vegas prior to selling the bike.
Show us detailed pics of your tach and the wiring connection.
I'll have another look inside my friends headlight next time he's here and see if it's same as mine.
If it is and if it's viable then he may wish to do a swap with you.
Then you'll both have working tachs.
Scotty's is off a 2010 CrossRoads it's a bit smaller than the main speedo but I welded two different brackets together to make one that houses both and looks good.
If we can find my old Post it may even have pics of Scotty's actual connector but my guess is it'll be same as mine.
Shoot us good clear pics of your connector and accurate measurements of the tach unit itself.
Cable Technology Wire Steel Machine
Product Brown Photograph Black Technology

Hope we can affect a solution that gives us both a win win situation.

#18 ·
Your photo says it all. That's the connector on my 2008 Kingpin. So now I now for sure that the Tach I bought is a can-bus type and will not work. I'm hoping that the my 08 kingkpin's connector will work to power a good old fashioned tach, so, if you or anyone else knows for sure please let me know. Stewart Warner makes a tach that's a perfect fit for the bracket and with a little metal fab work and some wire splicing it would be a very nice custom job.
Thanks
Barney

#17 · (Edited)
I think my quest is posted on the other forum the VOG
Actually just looked and it's in here, may be on VOG as well.
Here's a link but not sure what the pics depict actually it's so long since I took em
Have a look anyway see if anything looks like it'll fit.

#24 ·
Ok I'll talk to Scotty about it
Pics are on that link I posted before.
What's the diameter of the hole in the tach bracket?
That'll tell me wether or not it's gonna fit the bracket we made up.
Is your tach and speedo same diameters?.
We discovered Scotty's 2011 speedo isn't the same size as my 2010 speedo and the 2010 XR tach is smaller still...hence me doing a cut n shut with both brackets .
So please measure diameter of both speedo and tach bracket holes where the gauges fit.

#25 ·
Ok I'll talk to Scotty about it
Pics are on that link I posted before.
What's the diameter of the hole in the tach bracket?
That'll tell me wether or not it's gonna fit the bracket we made up.
Is your tach and speedo same diameters?.
We discovered Scotty's 2011 speedo isn't the same size as my 2010 speedo and the 2010 XR tach is smaller still...hence me doing a cut n shut with both brackets .
So please measure diameter of both speedo and tach bracket holes where the gauges fit.
The Diameter of the holes in the bracket are both 3 3/8".
The Outside Diameter of the Tach is 3 5/8"
There is a rubber piece that fits in the bracket that is used as an isolator and or seal to keep water out. That rubber piece takes up the difference of diameters of the tach and the bracket. You can see all the pieces in the photos I posted.

#26 ·
Ok thanks I'll do some research and checking and measuring.
Would you do a swap if we both had what the other wanted?
Each person liable for their outgoing shipping charges.
There'd be a lot of trust involved too in such a venture.

#28 ·
I know the tach I received is old new stock from Victory Only. They are a very reputable company but I’m guessing that the tach was inadvertently put in the wrong box before V.O. took possession of it. Only my guess but there would be no benefit to switching it for the wrong tach.
One thing I’ll need is pictures of your friends tach along with measurements of the diameter of the face of tach and of every item you’ll be shipping. As I understand, only the tach Is what your wanting.
Yes I know that the trust factor would be very high if we did a swap. For your benefit to prove I’m trustworthy I would be willing to send you my tach to let you see if it’s what you want before you send me your tach.
There would be no risk on your part. You’d pay for the shipping either to return my tach if it’s not what you wanted or for the shipping to send me your friends tach. This is only a suggestion. Perhaps we could talk privately about this somehow.

#31 ·
As we Aussies say " no wucking furries mate!"
Just rang Scotty and left a message...Sold my Vegas today,
Fella test rode it, me leading on the XC , we stopped after 15 mins through the mountains, I said wadda ya reckon?
He said I'll buy it! No need to ride any further let's ride back.
I'm just on one last ride up the mountains and should get HCs old Yella Kingpin in my hands midweek ...
That'll be a great day and a great ride!

Attachments

#33 ·
Yup it’s the same tach as mine. Close but no cigar, as they say.
I did get hold of Polaris and complained to customer support about leaving Victory owners in the lurch. Also explained that the pulling the rug out from under us leaves us more than just a little nervous about buying an Indian. I reckon it’ll do little or nothing to help any Victory owners but I just had to tell them.
I’m going to set out on a mission to find someone who can retro fit another tach in this ones place or help me do it myself. I’ll use the Victory bezel, face, pointer and chrome cover. If I get done I’ll let you know.

#34 ·
Yup it’s the same tach as mine. Close but no cigar, as they say.
I did get hold of Polaris and complained to customer support about leaving Victory owners in the lurch. Also explained that the pulling the rug out from under us leaves us more than just a little nervous about buying an Indian. I reckon it’ll do little or nothing to help any Victory owners but I just had to tell them.
I’m going to set out on a mission to find someone who can retro fit another tach in this ones place or help me do it myself. I’ll use the Victory bezel, face, pointer and chrome cover. If I get done I’ll let you know.
Did you complain to them that they sold you the wrong tach?
That's a valid complaint..

#35 ·
No I didn’t. I’ll hand on to it and put it up for sale on eBay in a few years. If nothing else I’ll have a conversation piece at the table when we go for a ride with the guys. Somebody will always ask, “what’s the story on that tach hanging on the wall above your bar at home?” In the meantime if you know of someone that needs a 2009 and newer tach let me know.
Take care

#36 ·
Older bike I would guess have traditional tach signal you could connect any gauge. Can buy a cheapo $10 tach to test that before you get something fancy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.