Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Starter

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  jlynch34 
#1 ·
My bike starts up fine but sounds like the starter is constantly engaged, hit kill button engine turns off but starter still grinding, take key out same thing ,had to disconnect neg from batt to stop it. What could it be, I'm nit really knowledgeable about these things ,Help please anyone

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Motorcycle.com Free App

#2 ·
Relay

Possibly the starter relay is stuck on. Try pulling it out and if it stops,that is more than likely the problem. If it continues to stay engaged I would say more than likely a short in the harness. NOTE: I did not look at a schematic,but most newer vehicles do run a relay for the starter.

#3 ·
Not sure where that relay is, checked starter switch seemed fine, don't have owners or repair manual, very frustrated just got it back from dealer because it wouldn't start

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Motorcycle.com Free App

#6 · (Edited)
the starter solenoid is probably stuck closed, there will be a large cable from the battery to the solenoid, then from the solenoid to the starter, either the solenoid is stuck or something is telling it to stay closed. the 2 small wires activate it. if you un-hook the 2 small wires and it still runs the starter it is the solenoid.

#9 ·
if it does it again. dis-connect the 2 small wires going to the solenoid. if it doesn't stop cranking you have a bad solenoid. if it does stop you have a problem somewhere else. the 2 small wires just put 12v to the solenoid to pull the contacts in.. it is just an electromagnet with 2 contacts inside. it just connects the large cable from battery to starter. the 2 small wires activate it. if the solenoid does stick it will crank even with the key off as long as the battery is conected. it won't start the motor with the key or kill off but it will crank it .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.