Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Kickstand

8K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  mikebna 
#1 ·
I'm having a hard time with the bike when I place it on the kickstand. It really seems that it wants to tip over away from the kickstand even when I crank the wheel all the way into it. I have never had a bike stand up this straight when placed on the kickstand and it will tip to the other side really easy. Also when parked on a slight grade it's even worse and will actually slide and start to tip over really easy.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the suspension being a little lower than a standard Vision? It's a 2013 Ness Vision.

Any suggestions on what to do to make it lean a bit more? And how to keep it from sliding on the kickstand with even the slightest grade? Thanks-

#2 ·
of course if you lower the bike with the same kickstand it will stand up straighter. i would hope on a ness bike if it was factory lowered they would put a shorter kickstand on it though. does it have the rubber on the bottom of the foot?

#3 ·
I think you might have something about the Ness maybe being lower. I have not had any issues on the lean but have notice it does want to slip forward a bit easier than my TC.

#4 ·
Easy fix... couple of vendors sell a shortened kickstand for lowered bikes..... HMD is one, and I know there are others. As for sliding forward, leave the bike in 1st gear whenever you park.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info, I did find that as a possible solution when I searched here.

Go to dealer and measure the length of a vision kickstand thats not a ness one. You might have the wrong kickstand on your bike.

If not maybe your dealer can put your kick stand is his press and bend it.
Or HMD sell one measure yours and ask them what length theres is so you know if it will change any thing.
http://www.hmd520.com/category/Suspension-2
I will, thanks for the info. You would think they would catch that when they put it together, I'm sure that I'm not the only one that may have this problem unless they forgot.

I think you might have something about the Ness maybe being lower. I have not had any issues on the lean but have notice it does want to slip forward a bit easier than my TC.
Yes mine does even on slight grades, now I know why my Harley's jiffey stand was so long and would extend out further.

of course if you lower the bike with the same kickstand it will stand up straighter. i would hope on a ness bike if it was factory lowered they would put a shorter kickstand on it though. does it have the rubber on the bottom of the foot?
Yes the rubber piece is still on it, I was thinking about removing it to help it lean a bit more.

#5 ·
Go to dealer and measure the length of a vision kickstand thats not a ness one. You might have the wrong kickstand on your bike.

If not maybe your dealer can put your kick stand is his press and bend it.
Or HMD sell one measure yours and ask them what length theres is so you know if it will change any thing.
http://www.hmd520.com/category/Suspension-2

#6 ·
if you're handy you can cut it shorter and re-weld it or bend it, i don't know if it could be bent out enough without sticking out though. personally i would try bending it out first, cutting it shorter and re-welding if that won't work, but i'm just cheap and will try anything before spending money.

#8 ·
Get your dealer to bend it. They more then likely have a ten ton press that will bend it just fine. You will not need much of a bend. Thats what I did mine.
Putting heat to it will be fine but in a years time it will give out on you.
Still think you should measure and compair.

#9 ·
Ok I finally made it in today to the dealer and had the service manager measure mine and another regular Vision and they both have the same length. He said he was going to order a shorter one at no charge. I hope they come through cause I do not want to pay $205 for a shorter one.:(

#10 · (Edited)
This is all very interesting. I thought mine stood up too much too but just attributed it to the make. I'm gonna research this as well.

According to the parts schematic (http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp) there are NOT any differences between the kick stands on the Visions. Ness or not.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the help.

Also I would like to thank Nick from Star Island Motorsports for going above and beyond what most dealers would have done. He ordered the new kickstand from HMD and had it installed today AT NO CHARGE! thumb up!!!!!! He actually found this thread while searching for kickstands and a solution.

Their response from Victory on the shorter stand was---- that they had not encountered any problems using the same stand on all the Arlen Ness lowered Victory Visions and they will continue using stock kickstands on the lowered versions.

Also when Victory was approached from the safety standpoint by the service department, Victory chose to deny any and all claims at that point, that the regular Victory Vision Kickstand would ultimately not keep the bike from tipping over easier than a stock non-lowered Vision....makes me wonder if it is a money based decision because of the lower production numbers of their factory lowered bikes???:confused::(

Here are some before and after pics-
BEFORE--->

AFTER---->

#13 ·
#14 ·
Duh! I knew it wasn't a Vic part yet I forgot that when I posted the question. Long day!!

With that ball on the end is it easier to grab with the foot versus stock?

#15 ·
I guess they do not send the exact ones in the picture. The one they sent is exactly like the original Vision one but 1" shorter and it still has the rubber piece riveted to it. No ball on the end.

#16 · (Edited)
I'm guessing all they do it cut and weld it back together then. Why else do they need for a core charge? Something I will consider doing myself then if it's $200 just to have them do that.

Thanks for the info!!

#17 ·
Why in the world would the factory put the same kickstand on both models.
That kind of thinking scares me. Any rookie would know if a bike sits one inch lower you have to shorten the kickstand.

If you put heat to the kickstand in time it will give way and you'll find the bike on its side.
HMD might be cutting and re welding but I'll be he is re harding the stand.

#18 ·
Good stuff Mike! I don't have a lowered VV but this is the stuff that keeps the forums alive! Thanks for all the leg work!!!! I do hope MaVic takes a different approach on down the road, it is obvious its an issue

#19 ·
:) I actually did use the search button first before posting...

Maybe they don't see it as a real issue, since they installed tip overs, and the bike actually shouldn't reach the ground and end up with major damage? :ltr:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.