Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

leaking shifter seal

11K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  depot picker 
#1 ·
After a 220 mile ride today I left her parked for a few minutes while unloading before going grocery shopping. When I came out there was a puddle of oil below the shifter shaft. The seal looked like it was sticking out a bit, so I stuffed it back into the case with a screw driver. This stopped the drip.
I'm sure this isn't a permanent fix, but I won't be home to look at my service manual until Sunday. I'm wondering what it is that should hold the seal in place. Is it just a pressed fit?

#7 ·
If you could push it back in have dealer order you a new one. It must be a tad small for the opening. The seal is a press fit

#9 · (Edited)
#12 ·
Now you guys went and did it: you made me get on the garage floor, with a trouble light, and check mine out. Dry as a bone, no leaking.

I have a '12 XCT, picked up in March 2012, so I now have four riding seasons on it, about 32,000 miles.

Does anyone have any theories why some bikes have this problem, and some don't? And is there any preventive maintenance you're supposed to do regarding this seal, like put plumber's grease on it or something?

#16 ·
I pulled the shifter linkage off, put a drip pan under the shaft, pulled the old seal off, tapped the new seal in with a socket, and topped off the oil. Literally a 5-10 minute job.

#18 ·
Pushing it back only last for a month. I rode to Dallas this weekend and it got loose again. Push it back and leak stop. coming back to Houston the leak return and I am thinking because I was riding the bike hard on the I-45 North freeway. I was doing on average 85-90MPH. What causes the seal to come off? If replaced do I need to remove all the oil first? Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.