Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Hi Flow vs K&N filter

11K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Ninja 
#1 ·
I was wanting to know if anyone has actually tested or dynod two different air filters, one being the new and improved high flow filter from Loydz versus the ole trusty and true K&N filter. I have a 2011 XC with a modified K&N and I being told the the Loydz will flow more, but then I asked if they have facts to back that up, as of this time no we don't. Just trying to see if it's actually worth the money from what I have now. I am sure there are others that want to know the same.

Thanks
Diggerwac

#2 ·
In case you do not find a hard data test between the two, one simple test would be to compare the filter surface area between these filters, and assume both materials have the same air permeability. According to Lloydz, his filter has 30% more surface area, and with the assumptions already stated, that means increased air flow.

Is it worth it? I think for those who move from a stock air filter to the Lloydz it is worth it. The filter will pay for itself over the life of the bike, by not having to replace the stock filter. However, in your case, the added benefit of the Lloydz filter might be way less than the cost of adding it, since you already have a high performance filter in place.

#3 ·
It is funny you mentioned that about surface area, I was just sitting here thinking about adding that into the question, but all well, I snooze I lose. I totally agree with everthing you said.

Thanks
Diggerwac

#4 ·
CR,

That "and assume both materials have the same air permeability" seems like a mighty big assumption to me. Not trying to be a smarta$$, but why would you make that assumption (other than to make calculations easier, i.e., based solely on area). I seem to recall reading specs over the years in filter ads, in which manufacturers state filter-hole sizes and suchlike.

#5 ·
Well, I did start my post stating that if no hard data is available, then it is safe to assume they are the same. Obviously they are not same unless they both used the exact same material. The assumption is being made for the simple reason of arriving to a quick conclusion without having to run tests in a test lab. Somehow, I have a feeling their air permeability is very close, so that variable should be negligible. If you have any data on K&N and Lloydz filters air permeability, please don't be shy, share it with us. cheers

#8 ·
I have Lloydz filter and the reason I think it works is that my AutoTune made corrections after I installed it. (it corrected for more air)
Side note: More air flow isn't always proof of being better for your bike. If your bike's needs are 500 cfm (an arbitrary number for the sake of this example) , then replacing a filter that flows 1000 cfm with one that flows more cfm won't yield a gain. I don't believe this example applies to Lloydz filter.

#12 ·
For the forum members using the modified K&N air filter, how are you securing the filter? Is there a bracket that you've found?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.