Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Leaving AutoTune connected to PCV??

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  BBob 
#1 ·
Randomly, I just came across the following quote from Bbob:

( "After figuring out to not leave the cord plugged into the PCV; the tuner has been doing it's thing beautifully and making the bike run better and better. I accept the trims about every 300 miles or so. Try to give it plenty of opportunity under different loads and conditions for it to settle into something best for the way I ride." )

My AT is always connected to my PCV as I thought it should be to constantly aim for my target AFRs. (I accept trims every few hundred miles) Am I misreading his statement or does he say they should not be connected all the time? I really thought I had all of this down well and my bike runs great!

#4 ·
I leave my USB cable connected all the time, and tucked inside the small compartment at the front of the right saddlebag. That way, it's always handy when I need to connect the laptop.

#5 ·
I was doing that and found by hitting a bump or something it would cause the PCV to stop and reset thereby killing the motor. Usually it would start right back up by the time I pulled over.

So now I leave the USB cable in the left saddlebag so it's handy when I need it but not plugged in.

I've made my Summer tune and am in the process of making the Winter tune. Once done, I will disconnect it from the AT unit unless I feel a need to plug it back in, like maybe trip to high elevations or something.

On another note, after reading about someone using one of Lloydz mechanical advance unit that goes under the right side engine cover to advance the motor 4 degrees I decided to give it a try since you can do that with the PCV. It worked ok on the first ride but on the second right it started running bad and dying on my so I went back in and just left the first vertical (0%Throttle) column at 4 under "Ignition Table" that you have to create. It was mentioned that it helped to smooth out the idle and so far I have to agree. To make things smoother yet; I made the second vertical column 3, the third 2, and the fourth 1, to make the transition slower. Like I said; works well so far.

#6 ·
Lloyd claims that the PC-V ignition tables do nothing on Victory motorcycles under 2500 rpm. I have no confirmation of this, but he is usually right when it comes to Vics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.