Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

How good is your local dealer?

17K views 55 replies 41 participants last post by  Pheonix 
#1 ·
I regrettably have to say that my local dealer is lacking in several areas; perhaps they just don't know any better. Purchased by Kingpin new one year ago at a Victory dealer well known here in the Atlanta area; also spent big bucks on accessories. Have no issues with the purchase.....until I went to have it repaired. Dropped the bike so I thought of my dealer when I gave it to them to repair. For example the wires behind the indicator lights were torn and broke when returned to me; such a simple thing to inspect and fix. Now I wonder if the engine repair was done correctly. Also I was treated badly and not given any updates on the repair which took over 3 months to complete. When I asked questions I was told "Why should I care the insurance is paying for this"

Be aware a warranty is worthless if it cannot be backed-up by a competent service and repair tech. Be careful who you let work on your bike. You may say take it back and have the work done correctly. I say, I don't believe they can and don't want them to touch my bike. I will gladly pay someone else to repair and I've already found them!

Jim

my 2 cents on the local Victory dealer in Cumming, Ga.!

#2 ·
The local Victory dealership (Jacksonville Power Sports) is about 5 miles from my house. They sell and service a variety of bikes and other power sports machines. I have not done business with them for a couple of years (except parts) due to multiple safety critical and customer service related issues I had with warranty and maintenance work on the Kawasakis I own(ed).

To be fair… since then Jacksonville Power Sports has replaced a lot of the management including the service manager... so it could be totally different now.

I have always done my own work on my cars, but the problem I had with JPS forced me get comfortable working on bikes. I now do all my own work except warranty and tires.

I purchased my Vic from Polaris of Gainesville. The crew there has been great from the beginning. So what if they are 80 miles and 1.5 hours away. It is totally worth the ride to know that the guys working on my bike know what they are doing and care about the bike they are working on. So far they have done the 500 mile check-up and a couple of warranty repairs for me with excellent results.

#16 ·
I purchased my Vic from Polaris of Gainesville. The crew there has been great from the beginning. So what if they are 80 miles and 1.5 hours away. It is totally worth the ride to know that the guys working on my bike know what they are doing and care about the bike they are working on. So far they have done the 500 mile check-up and a couple of warranty repairs for me with excellent results.[/QUOTE]

About 40 miles from me and treated great, think even thought a little more of now, when did my 500 mile service brought in a buddy who also purchased one of their used Bikes ..

#3 ·
as with any type of service oriented companys
there are good ones and bad ones.

#4 ·
My local dealer is Victory of Southern Maryland and they are fantastic. Of course, they still don't do work on my bike unless absolutely necessary... but if I needed someone to I would trust them to do it.

They build some custom bikes and they built this bike out of parts from almost every year Victory. It's for sale too...

The bike ran 12.44 too....

#6 ·
Half Crazy what the hell do you call that thing. Its a Vegas...No V92...wait its a Kingpin No its a V92 No wait its a KP...Nope its a Vicenstein!

I am stationed here at Bragg in NC. I bought my Vic from M&M Leather here in Fayetteville just before fathers day. I liked all the staff and the service department was top notch when I needed some help with my old shovelhead with reasonable repair cost. Which after countless trips in to pick up parts. I researched and researched some more about Vics and finally bit the bullet and bought a new 08 Vegas premium from them for what seemed a great deal at the time.
Then i got to know the owner a little better damn was this a bummer. After I was run off the road and took it into the shop for an estimate I should have let the insurance total the damn thing. He wanted over 8G to rebuild straight back to stock with no deviation in parts. No upgrades with a little extra from me for difference in parts. Total douche. Charged Insurance company $700 storage because He(Bill/Owner) was in Hawaii on vacation and wouldn't allow it to be picked up. Would not reccomend Bills shop unless he is out of the picture his employees are better people than I am because I wouldnt work for that A$$.

I did track down Twin Specialties in Raleigh and they are a little of the beatten path but a pleasure to deal with as far as parts go. I have yet to have any work done because I bought a manual and put the bike back together with that.

Also Don't use DC Auto out of Sanford,NC either. David(owner) is a crook and I am in the process of trying to get money he still owes for parts and labor for a $2000 paint job that looks like it was done with spare rattle cans in the garage and some tape. After 3 months waiting on him to finish I am affraid to take it back for him to FIX his screw ups and mismatched clear coats after he dented the flawless tank I took him and scratched the front fender after he supposedly fixed it.

#9 ·
I have to say that All Out Cycles of Chesapeake Va is doing me right! Very happy with them and the prev owner I purchased my ride from has used them since he bought it new with no complaints.

Most recent when I was about to order a new flash for my bike they offered to verify first before letting me order it. The could have easily just accepted my order and took 225 out of my pocket without me knowing it. Of course it cost 1hr labor but in comparison to what I was about to spend based on my current maintenace records that I got with the bike I saved money.

Sunrise Cycle's is a little farther out in Norfolk and I don't have much experience with their maintenace department but salesmen in the store front are knowledgable and helpful.

Feeling good about Vic product and support in Hampton Roads area!

#12 ·
Just want to add I let Extreme Powersports in Columbus GA service my Bike and they seemed to be a pretty decent dealership.

Hopefully I have a new dealership which is going to be much closer soon. Capitol Cycle in Macon is supposed to become a Victory dealer. I was there a month or so ago and they said they should be getting the bikes and parts setup in the next few weeks. Haven't been back by yet, but I might try to ride up there this weekend, and check it out.

#43 ·
Well I have had some more dealings with both of the above dealerships since posting this. I have finally decided I want to get a touring bike, the wife likes to ride with me and the Kingpin ain't cutting it for her. The prices at both dealerships are about the same.

I went to Capitol Cycle in Macon First, they made me a reasonable offer on trading in my Bike. It's a price where I am back and forth on whether it's worth it to sell it myself or take the loss.

Extreme Powersports on the other hand must want to piss off any potential customers. I asked if they take trade ins and the sales guy said yes. So he takes my keys and comes back in about 15 minutes and says he will give me $1800.00 for 2004 Kingpin. Low retail on the thing is $4000 and my bike is in really good shape. I would have understood if he just said we really have to many used bikes and just can't sell them we don't really want a trade in. I get that, but to try and steal it from me just pissed me off and I will not go back there.

#13 ·
I bought my 2012 CCT at Performance East in Goldsboro NC. I never felt welcome in that store, not one time. Everytime I went there, I had to wait to be helped by a wet behind the ears snuff dippin guy that couldn't talk plain. My opinion of them was that Motorcycles were an after thought and their prime bussiness was ATVs and boats. I quit going there for that reason. It's too bad because I would really like to have a local dealer that was worth a crap. Too bad we don't. I take a 3 1/2 hour bike ride to Coastal Victory in SC. Great people there.

#15 ·
I fortunately live about 5 miles from Coastal Victory. You walk in and everyone who works there knows your name. Pull up a bar stool and shoot the S%^t or just browse around. You always feel welcome. Dedicated to the Victory line and they are always doing project bikes and their own mods. Great place with great people. thumb up

#14 · (Edited)
I bought my 2012 XC from Hinshaws in Auburn,Wa I have to say the only person who seemed to give a darn about my business was my salesman, I had to find my own financing as the finance manager didnt seem to give a damn. When I was introduced to the parts manager he acted like I was keeping him from his work. At least the parts guy help me out with the parts and clothing credit slips I had. Not sure who Im going to take the bike to in the event of a problem. I have always done all my own service on my bikes and am sure I can get thru this one. So it appears that bad dealers can be anywhere.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#17 ·
Coastal Victory in Murrell's Inlet, South Carolina is the best Motorcycle dealership I have EVER Dealt with. They are GREAT!!! Knowledgeable, Friendly, Great Service and Genuinely Caring about their customers. Can not say enough about them.

Reactions: Sgtglenn
#19 ·
i am new here and i just bought 2013 vegas 8-ball from american biker in charleston sc. its the second bike i have bought from them, so i think it goes without saying i really felt comfortable there. their staff is more than knowledgeable about the motorcycles they have at their shop. everyone there makes an effort to at least know your name. one of the salesman there is a former marine, as am i, so now we go riding together all the time. great place and great service department. not sure about the parts dept. as i have never bought anything from there yet.

#20 ·
Kansas City area dealers were not able to secure my purchase as they were not willing to deal, so I save a lot of money at another dealer out of town. I tried to send some business to one of them as they are a home town dealer and got treated like an alien because I had not purchased with them. Thankfully there are other Victory Dealers in this area, so we will see how they do before passing judgement. Because of the number of employees I work with that ride and others that I encounter because of the job. I get asked often about this kind of information, so around here there is one Dealer that is losing out on a lot of business, as I have convinced two others to buy Victory's in the last 30 days. Honesty and good customer service is key to having a thriving business.

#21 ·
My dealer, Freedom Power Sports, is about a 30 minute ride north of me in Rogers, Arkansas. I walk in and they say "hey John". I've not been there a lot really, maybe I came off as a prick so they remember me. :eek: I bought my Vic there which is only my second bike. I wanted the exact bike pictured in my avatar. They didn't have it on the floor so naturally wanted to sell me something they had. I stood fast on my pin. They actually drove to St. Louis, put it on a trailer and hauled it down here for me...for free. They installed everything you see in my signature line without charging a dime for labor. They even redeemed my apparel coupon and gave me credit while I waited until a month ago for the items I wanted that weren't available at the time.

I fried my cruise control module by riding in some nasty weather, by that I mean there were inches of standing water on the roads due to a bad storm. They replaced it under warranty without me even mentioning the word "warranty" to them. They replaced my rear pulley in the same fashion because my bike came with one of the bad pulleys Victory put out. They even threw in a new and free belt and polished my bike to a mirror shine. (it was dirty...I've washed it twice since August and I ride every day, all year regardless of rain or storms)
When I purchased my Pin, the price we agreed on was the final price. No dealer fees, no shipping fees, NO FEES of any kind.

I almost feel bad for doing my own work on the bike because they do deserve the business. I'll throw them what business I can and recommend them to anybody looking for a Vic or good service.

#23 ·
Your dealer sounds good. I know that I written off one dealer regarding any business, but I been dealing with others in my area (KC). Speaking of the Ozarks, I know me and my co workers will be down there riding a lot this summer, maybe we will see you down there.

#24 ·
I'm usually riding all over the Ozarks on my days off. Anybody heading this way looking to ride with another Vic just holler thumb up

#25 ·
Coastal Vic in Murrels Inlet...just a non-Victory owner opinion...

Drove up to Myrtle Beach from Mount Pleasant not long ago. Stopped in at Coastal Victory just to kick some tires and oggle at what they had on the floor. Super nice folks who didn't mind telling you about their bikes.

That was in the old building. Haven't stopped since they've been in the new spot on the corner, but am looking forward to it. The next trip will likely include a wad of cash in my pocket so I'm trying to stay away for now.

#26 ·
Ok I picked up my bike from It's first service at Freedom Cycles in KC area. Got there and was able to pay promptly and was given a small discount that was appreciated. Walked back to the service area and they had the bike parked outside running with heated hand grips on low. Nice touch. So far they are turning out ok. Not to mention it is a huge store with lots of accessories on display to occupy you for hours.

#27 ·
Unfortunately, the items in the store or on the floor is the drawback to my local dealer. There aint nuthin'. You have to order just about everything. They have probably a dozen Vics...maybe a few less. It looks like their big buisiness is them Polaris 4X4 rigs. Its really not that big of a deal to me anyway. I order everything online, heck, I ordered my freezer from the east coast and had it shipped all the way down here to save a couple hundred buck over Sears. The only thing I really buy from stores is my groceries. I even did my credit app for Vic online and worked out the add-ons and such with my dealer online. But for those wanting to just go in and look around...it won't take ya long.

#28 ·
I still can't get over 150 dollars for an oil change.
When I bought my 09 Kingpin from a large dealer outside of Boston MOM, they treated me fairly and were very helpfull, but when it came to trading it in on a 2011 XC it was all about how much they could make, and to this day feel ripped off. Have not had an issue with service done just seems to be over priced.
Great bikes but wouldnt consider buying another becuase of this dealer.

#31 ·
Twin Specialties in Raleigh NC is a good dealer and shop. I purchased my 2011 vision from them and was treated very fair and honestly. Joe (owner) seems to be concientious about how the people are treated as well as the service customers recieve. If I purchase another Victory it will be from Twin Specialties, good place in NC to do business.

#32 ·
Here in the OKC Metro, we are blessed with two Vic dealers. Maxey's Cycles & Jones Off Road.
There is another Vic dealer about an hour or so Southwest of the Metro. I went there once . . . with money burning a hole in my pocket . . . I couldn't get anyone to even talk to me! They lost a few hundred dollars that day! Don't remember the name, don't really care either, cause I ain't goin back.

I've bought 3 cycles (only one was a Vic) from Maxey's and 1 Vic from Jones Off Road.
I've used Maxey's service department for the 500 mile service on my XCT and some warranty work and custom work on the other two bikes I got from them. Fast service, friendly staff, prices seem reasonable. They are willing to deal on new Victory bikes, got a great deal on my XCT! They've told me prices up front on all service I've done. When the custom stuff turned out to be more than they expected (took longer & cost them more), they stuck with the quoted price and apologized for the delays! I've ordered stuff they didn't stock. In all but one case, very fast delivery (the slow delivery was something from Korea that was apparently shipped on a raft rowed by monkeys!!). This shop is my first stop if I want/need something for my Vics.

I've not used Jones Off Road for service. I bought a used Vic Vegas 8 Ball from them. Really great deal (they wouldn't budge on price, but it was already priced very very well). I don't know if they'd deal on a new bike or not. Friendly staff, good selection of bikes. They all knew my name the second time I went there when I bought my Vegas from them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

#33 ·
My brother and his son run Greg Coen Motor Company in Springfield, Or.
They sell Polaris snowmobiles in the winter and Vic's in the summer.

From what I've seen; they care about the products, the customers and their quality of work.

#34 ·
I found out we are losing a dealer yesterday. Never dealt with them but I happen to pass the dealer as I was on a road trip so I stopped in to see what they had. It was OPS in Tifton , GA. They were about to close, it was only 2:00 on a Saturday. The owner, I assume it was the owner, said he wasn't selling enough bikes and was getting out of the Victory business. He had about 5 bikes on the floor and said it looked like a dealer in Atlanta was going to take them. He had some Victory accessories as well, he said to check back in a week or two he woudl probably be having a sale to get rid of the stuff. I didn't get a chance to look at what he had really. So I am going to try and get back later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.