Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Now I dun did it! PLUS...my 1st post!

13K views 48 replies 14 participants last post by  TheMike 
#1 · (Edited)
I just bought a 2012 Ness Vision. The one I wanted and searched long and hard for.

A little back ground. I have had 3 Wings in the past ('82, '94, and an '03). Ended up selling the last one within a year of getting it (late '93) due to expecting our 1st and only child. I loved the Wings and never expected to get another bike as I don't enjoy riding much on my own. If my wife can't enjoy it with me I tend not to do it.

Last year I began considering a bike for my 43 mile one way commute to work. Entirely highway and living in Colorado riding can be most of the year.

I knew for that another wing was over kill so I dropped the idea to my retired father who had a '03 VTX 1800c. He too was always a Wing rider so when he said he liked it more than his Wings, it got me curious.

More looking and searching was proving interesting. To make a long story short, I bought the X off him for a very fair price. Like new, with a few mods, and less than 9k miles on the 8 year old ride.

Since I have had it about a year now, and really love the bike, my wife started showing interest in learning to ride herself. Another long story short, she now rides herself on her own '12 Shadow Spirit 750. Her bike is Orange like my X. I set up my X for towing a matching Bushtec. My daughter rides with me, and my wife rides her own. The bikes have become our family togetherness avenue.

This summer was filed with about 6k miles of traveling as a family on the bikes. I put more miles on the X in less than a year than my dad did with it for 8 years.

The X is more than capable riding two up and hauling the trailer filled to capacity. Quite well actually. I fell in love with the big twin. The power, the sound etc. The only gripe I could find is that for an adult on the back, it's less than comfy for them like it is for me on the front.

My 62 year old Mom enjoying a family trip with my family.

I test drove a new wing and found I was more comfy on the X and nothing beats the 1800 giddy-up and go. That Wing ship has sailed.

I miss the creature comforts of the Wing though. Yes, we have intercoms and all that's available using Sena's BlueTooth headsets. BUT, my X at 75 is cranking out 3500 rpm's and get a little over 30 MPG with a 3 gal tank when traveling loaded. Having to fill it every day I ride it to work gets old (~90 miles round trip).

I like to ride in cooler weather too. 40 degrees is not out of my comfort zone. The X does a pretty good job protecting me but I believe it can be much better.

Somehow I came across a Victory while reading on my favorite VTX sites. It got my attention. Never noticed them.

So over the last couple of weeks I have been looking, reading, researching and asking about the Victorys. The XC was my first burst of my energy. It was like my VTX but with bags and with the electronics I missed. I was smitten.

Then I saw a Vision. "Interesting" I told myself. Like the Wing but in the big twin category I'm in love with now.

After adding up all my desired features and stuff, I realized that I quickly got out of my financial comfort zone. If I was going to spend close to 30k on a bike, I should see what else is out there.

No matter what I looked at, I kept comparing it to the VTX and the VV.

I don't want to get rid of the VTX. They aren't made any more, are rare, and just about bullet proof if maintained. But I still miss my creature comforts. Hmmmmm

Once I decided to narrow down my search, I focused on the Ness VV. I likes the uniqueness of the bike that's for sure and it came with most of the things I would have added to the non Ness VV.

Crap, the 2013 is RED. I don't want RED. My trailer is orange, my wife's bike is orange, I LIKE ORANGE BIKES! Shoot me.

Wait, the '12 Ness VV is orange. I wonder if I can find one. Yea right. Hearing that nice incentives were out there before to encourage their sales for the '13's meant not a chance. I was right.

I called many states asking. Nope. None around. A web search brought me to a dealership in the UK! Yes, the UK. Web was wrong. Nothing available.

Then I thought about Canada. They are sold there. Maybe I'll get lucky considering their season is short. I called BC...nothing in the entire providence. Then I called AB. Nothing in that providence either.

Let's face it, they are all gone! Just about when I was going to hang up the phone with the AB guy, he said, "wait, my system shows there's one in OHIO!". I said a few bad words then called the dealership he pointed me too.

He said, "yep, looking right at it". Holy crap batman!!

The one and only thing that concerned and still concerns me a bit is the fact it's a demo. I've seen how vehicles are demo'd. Gentle doesn't belong in describing how bikes are demo's.

It was a very fair price. Incentives were also available to include the military credit. I couldn't get passed the demo thing though.

Voicing this concern he said it wasn't that kind of demo. They don't demo the Ness's like I was thinking. How in the world can a 2012 have 5900 miles being a demo. He explained that he wasn't sure but he knew of Dyno miles by the company (for various reasons) or even Execs using it. He assured me it's as good as new. No marks, scratches, ware, etc.

Will see next week when I pick it up and ride it home for the 1300 mile trip (2 days).

In addition to the bike as it comes, I talked them into adding the following:

- Reverse Kit
- Driver Backrest
- Saddlebag liners and bags
- Trunk liner and bag
- Street Trunk Kit
- XM Radio
- iPod connect kit
- Bluetooth Dongle setup
- Passenger backrest setep (when trunk is off)
- HID
- Stage 1 setup but with D&D pipes
- and finally a Shoei Neotec helmet

I know some are gonna wonder price.....OK, I'll tell. $26k out the door.

I'm heading there shortly to pick it up. Then I have 1400 miles to ride it home over a little over 2 days. Should prove to be fun trip. Hoping for good weather as the forecast shows mid 50's - 60's along the route with little chance of precip.

I have a Dongle setup question that I'm looking for actual experience with. Since I have so far to ride in a short time, I won't have much extra time to fiddle and experiement so I'll be looking for facts. A quick setup then go type of thing.

I'll post that question HERE.

I know it's not a new thing to you but here are a few pics of it as it sits right now (before upgrades and addons)

I'm new to this forum but not to forums in general. Once I get involved I really get involved. These forums are absolutely the best source for just about anything topic specific.

I really hope the orange matches the trailer. I had the bushtec paint matched at build time. We shall see.

Cheers!

See less See more
#5 ·
You will love it

You are going to love the Vision. I came off a 2010 GW to the Vision. I just rolled 25K miles in less than a year for the 1st time on the Vision. It is so addictive.

My wife got me interested in the Victory line when she was shopping for her new bike(2012 CR). By the way she started 4 years ago on a 750 Aero just like your wife. After moving up to a Kawasaki 900 and us going touring she decided she wanted a bigger bike hence the CR.

See what you have to look forward to? LOL

#8 · (Edited)
....See what you have to look forward to? LOL
I know. Since I'm keeping my X my secret desire is she adopts it when she wants to move on. She's still new and the sheer weight of it scares her. She really likes her Shadow.

Congrats Mike! Which Ohio dealer are you buying this beauty from?
Airs Inc in North Canton.

That Vision appears to have the shorter blade style windshield. Given that you frequently take passengers, I would definitely ask for the standard shield, or even the tall shield for it. Remember, it's electric, so it will move up and down with the push of a button. I'm guessing that blade, though, won't go high enough for you.
I checked out a normal Vision to get an idea of it. The standard shield, when it's all the way down is perfect. I look just over it.

I'm not sure how much shorter the Ness is, I know it is though, but I'm hoping with a 4" rise it will be ok somewhere in the raised area. If not, I will get a different one. I dont want to have it swapped out by the dealership as I want to keep the Ness one.

Thanks all for the kind words. I'm loosing sleep over the excitement. It's been a long time since something has grabbed my attention like this bike.

One thing I'm having added are the protectors in front of the driver boards. My 13 size feet will no doubt mar up the pretty orange paint. Are they worth it and and are my concerns warranted?

#7 ·
That Vision appears to have the shorter blade style windshield. Given that you frequently take passengers, I would definitely ask for the standard shield, or even the tall shield for it. Remember, it's electric, so it will move up and down with the push of a button. I'm guessing that blade, though, won't go high enough for you.

#9 ·
Enjoy your cross country ride back to Colorado! Gorgeous bike! A little more spendy than my $10K Kingpin. Hope to put a Vision in my stable soon. Maybe an '08 for 12K. They had the same bike at my dealer and I tried to get my boss to replace his HD. Seems he likes orange too!

#10 ·
You worked hard to find that nice Vision, I like the paint and flames. I rented a Vision while I was in Tuscon a few years ago and liked it, I was amazed how well it handled. Good luck with it. thumb up

#12 ·
GREAT looking bike! You really got what you wanted and that is going to make the ride home even better. Pick up a tube of bengay for the soar jaw muscles because you will be smiling ear to ear nonstop for at least 500 miles off the bat. Lol. That was my experience bringing mine back from GA.

Read up on the IPod playlist selection steps, it's a little weird and you don't want to be trying to figure it out on the road. You can download the owners manual from Vic's website. Pm me if you have a problem. It made good reading on the flight over. Also, choose your breaking style now. A couple good posts on here since you will be doing it on the road. Last note I can think of for your ride home is fueling. On the kickstand lookin into the tank, let it rest a minute after it tops for the crossover to transfer to the left side. You can easily get another 1/2 gallon or a ll more this way. The gauge on mine seemed to be fairly accurate with about 1 gallon when it hits red with the light on. That's my experience anyway.

Have a great trip

#13 ·
Thanks! I didn't think this all the way through. 2 cars, 3 bikes, and the Bushtec in the 3 car garage (along with normal garage crap). Gonna be tight to say the least. Maybe I can store the trailer up on the lift?

#14 ·
Ha! I forgot about that. I kept my TC so was faced with the same delema.... You should see how I got the TC wedged in... I also did some soul searching on what I needed in my garage. My neighbor couldn't believe I got both bikes, roll away tool box, bench and the VV in there while still having room to work at the bench and can ride straight in. Again, enjoy the ride home! OH for a temp GPS mount I used the suction up cradle that came with my nuvi and the accy plug in the left tank compartment. Stuck it right below the ignition after cleaning the console and moistening the cup. Did not bridge in over 800 miles.

#15 ·
I've been trying to think of the best way to hold the phone (since I use it as a GPS etc) for the trip home.

My first thought was to get a square patch of "clear Bra" and stick it to the black panel below the key. Then I can use RED backed double sided tape to hold on a mount to that clear bra until I figure a better way.

Or (after the square clear bra in place) industrial strength velcro to the back of my iphone case then to the area below the key.

I haven't discovered the viewing angle yet to know exactly which method is best. If placing it flat on that area below the key works, then that an easy thing to do.

It's hard to get the right method without having the bike in hand. Guessing on functionality afar is tricky.

The suction method didn't harm the finish in the end?

#16 ·
No not at all. Mad sure the cup was clean. I don't kow if you have time but check out gpscity.com for mounting components. If not for the ride for after. Good selection and prices. Delivery was prompt for me.

#19 ·
Congrats on your new purchase!

Saw one of these Ness beauty's at my local dealer this summer. IMO, one of the best looking two-wheelers on the planet.

Enjoy every mile! cheers

#20 · (Edited)
I feel more and more like my ride home is gonna be awesome! I land at 3:45, hope to be on the road by 5:30. Planning on 300 miles that night (thurs). 600 on Friday then 500 on Sat. I expect upper 50's to low 70's by the time I get home. Here's hoping anyway. Looking good by the forecasts.

I decided on getting a dash bag by Dragon Bob. Don't know if it's know about here or not but I came across it on another forum. I'm getting one with a phone mount on the face so I don't have to deal with a phone mount until I get home and have the time to research (if I'll need one now).

If you want to know more about it I can point you towards it. If its old need here, oops! :)

I'm loosing sleep over this trip. I can't friggen wait!

Thanks for the info on the iPod stuff and the humorous facts (gas station and needing some Bengay). You guys have been great.

I'll post up as I go with pics if anyone cares.

#21 · (Edited)
Oh yea, I've ordered a iPod extension cable for the phone up on the dash. From what I've found, the Vision iPod cable isn't long enough to leave the glove box. If it works as hoped, the cable will keep the phone useful and charged the whole trip.

#22 ·
Nope, its about 6" long, just enough to get out and plug int and put back in the box. Make sure they give you your Aux cable back as it is a matter of pulling the cable and gromment thorugh the fairing, switching the plugs and stuffing back in should you need a 1/8" aux connector.

BBob is NOT kidding about the gas station. My first pitstop, 3-5 minutes at the pump talking to folks, then pulled forward to grab some munchies for the ride (I was leaving GA at the time) and 1 onlook and 1 bike racer for another good 2-5 minutes.. lol... "I thought they were kidding about getting stuck at gas stations" was just echoing in my head.

#23 ·
I look forward to chatting. Not sure how much I can say though. :)

I will ask for everything they take off the bike, to include that cable. Whatever they take off I want and if I can't get that stuff in the bike then I'll have it shipped. Don't know if I'll ever have use of the original stuff like the light that gets replaced by the HID or the original pipes but If I paid for them I should get them eh?

#24 · (Edited)
I'm psyched!! Tomorrow's the big day. Bike will be ready when I get there late afternoon.

Looking at the forecast I start in the upper 50's and clear for Thursday. Planning on 300 miles and stopping in Indianapolis.

Then Friday it's more clear weather starting in the 60's and ending up in the upper 70's on Friday in Junction City KS. 600 miles planned Friday.

Saturday is a little more exciting. Mid 60's from Junction City down I70 westbound until Limon Colorado. After Limon it will drop to the mid 40's with a 30 percent chance of showers. Snow??? Crap I hope not. It's only 115 miles from where it starts to drop and conditions deteriorate so if it's just temps that suck then I'll be prepared. What I don't want is precipitation when it's that cold.

Wish me luck!!

#25 ·
Good ridin Mike. Study the iPod functions now. Lol. Looking forward to the trip reort

#27 · (Edited)
Today (Thursday) was crammed full. Woke up early at 5am and couldn't go back to sleep over the excitement of flying to get the bike. Got to DIA about 7:30 for an 11am flight.

Wait, wait, then wait some more.

About 10:30 they made an announcement that the flight was delayed for maintenance. We departed 2 hours late.

While waiting, I texted Bill (my salesman, who was going to pick me up at the Canton airport) and told him we were delayed. Apparently he put 2 and 2 together when he realized his wife's grandparents, who were also delayed at DIA, must have been on thr same flight as I was.

Those folks owned the dealership where Bill works back in the 70's. Since then, they have turned over the business to their kids.

We connected at the airport and chatted away. She (the grandmother) even wore Victory clothing.

We sat together in the plane. I learned all about the family business. Very nice people. When we arrived in Canton, Bill was there to greet us all. I felt like part of the family. What a small world!!! They are those that really cares about their customers. A family business that believes it's not always about the bottom line.

Anywho, I didn't get to the dealership until after dark, about 6:00 their time. After about an hour of paper work, going over the bike, and getting all packed and dressed up for the ride, I headed down the road.

6 hours later I pulled into Indianapolis as planned. Wasn't sure I was going to make it. After the initial 150 miles straight on the first ride, I stopped to get something to eat at a local IHOP. I didn't realize how cold I had gotten because when I went into the restaurant and sat down, I shook so bad I covered my table with sugar trying to put it in my coffee cup. The waitress honestly asked me "do you need medication?". I have never shook that bad. It was less than 39 degrees the entire ride.

After about an hour of time warming up and getting some food, I decided to run across the street to a local discount store and pick up a pair of long underwear tops and bottoms. I also decided to get a a pair of Carhart winter thick socks to help out my slightly cold feet. That's all it took because the next 150 miles were much much better. Even though the temperature dropped down the 32 during the ride, I still felt pretty good when I finally got to my hotel in Indianapolis.

The motorcycle was incredible. I was extremely comfortable no matter how cold I got. The bike ran great and I averaged 42 miles per gallon between 75 and 85 miles an hour. That's a huge change for me from my VTX 1800.

I haven't seen it in the daylight in person yet so I will take a look at it tomorrow morning. It looks really really good at night. So far I am in love with the motorcycle.

Only complaint I have so far, as I have heard others have the same complaint, is the mirrors. I don't like the fact I can't see behind me very well at all, no matter how I position the mirrors. If I set them up so I can see behind me I see halfway up the handlebars and not much next to me.

I'll play with them more tomorrow.

I wanted to get this posted before took a nice warm shower and went to bed. I do plan to do at least 600 miles tomorrow as the weather is supposed to be really really nice.

I'll post up another post tomorrow night after the day. See ya!

#28 ·
Glad you made it and are on your way home Mike. Figured I would post now as I have absolutely nothing going on at work tonight. The mirrors took some getting used to for me. I adjusted them as low as they go and inward which does have part of the hand as you would expect but it grows on ya. I read somehwere about modding the mirror more downward, will see if I can dig that up, gave a wider view behind you but hand is still gonna be there.

After a while I just accepted it as part of the bike just like a solid boot in first and second. Enjoy your ride tomorrow, I am sure the sun will be a welcome site! I wonder how many onlookers you will get before you get on the road...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.