Ping/detonation - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Tech and Performance Section

Old 03-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
Jackpot2009

Exclamation Ping/detonation

Good afternoon all,

i am recently the proud owener of 2 victorys.
i just picked up myself a 2009 vic jackpot premium. Sunset red.( beautiful color i may add) . I believe it has the victory stage 1 swept pipes. S&s air cleaner, hid headlight. Digitgal speedo and tach, and probably more i havent found yet. 1600miles

i have an issue and cant speek to my dealer untill monday and was hoping you guys could help.

(2009 jackpot) i was having alot of popping which led me to believe that i had a lean condition. After researching i found to un plug the o2 sensors and this would help richen it up. I did this and it has seemed to help as far as the popping gos but i would have delt with that.
What scares me is i am getting a piLang/detonation noise starting around 2000-3500 rpm depending on the load/gear i am in.. I was told the bike had a revtech dfo ( digital fuel optimizer) which if it does i cant find it.
I originally thought maybe it was bad fuel so i emptyed the tank and put fresh fuel in it and it still does it. Now i am thinking i have a bad map flash..
I imagine the fuel that was in it was from the previous owner that would have been put in when he put it up. I did refuel with 91oct. Still pings. I noticed on my way to work tonight that I notice it more in 5 and 6 gear around the 2500-2750 range with a light load on it. Could this be a timing issue or does it sound more of a fuel mixture issue. I'm debating on getting a pcv and possibly the auto tune. Where would the best/ cheapest plAce be to get a pcv. Is the auto tune nessacary? Can I get by with a map from dynojet? If I get the auto tune can I use the single band or do I need the dual band?

Can any one please help . All input would be greatly apprciated.

Thanks in advance - jim

2007 victory hammer s. Stage 1 shotgun exhaust? S&s air box. 5000 miles
Jackpot2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 01:52 AM   #2
DunedinDragon

The revtech is the wild card here. Is it there or not, and if so how's it set up? It sure seems most likely that it's a fuel mixture problem somewhere, but pre-detonation pinging is a pretty rare animal in my experience.

I think before I'd invest in a PCV and Autotune I'd get to the bottom of the pinging. I suppose you could ideally tune out the pinging with a PCV/AT, but it might just mask the true cause of the problem if it's a valve seating issue or something along those lines.

As far as just using the Dynotech provided maps, I don't know of anyone that's been perfectly happy just using those maps. Most people that have just the PCV tend to go get them tuned on a dyno to get their maps setup. At least with the Autotune you can tinker and adjust your mixture as much as you'd like to get the bike where you want it. And there's plenty of example maps that have been posted here to get you a pretty good start.
DunedinDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
Jackpot2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunedinDragon View Post
The revtech is the wild card here. Is it there or not, and if so how's it set up? It sure seems most likely that it's a fuel mixture problem somewhere, but pre-detonation pinging is a pretty rare animal in my experience.

I think before I'd invest in a PCV and Autotune I'd get to the bottom of the pinging. I suppose you could ideally tune out the pinging with a PCV/AT, but it might just mask the true cause of the problem if it's a valve seating issue or something along those lines.

As far as just using the Dynotech provided maps, I don't know of anyone that's been perfectly happy just using those maps. Most people that have just the PCV tend to go get them tuned on a dyno to get their maps setup. At least with the Autotune you can tinker and adjust your mixture as much as you'd like to get the bike where you want it. And there's plenty of example maps that have been posted here to get you a pretty good start.
I have looked under the seat and both side panels. I don't know where else to look for the revtech. I wouldn't think it's under the tank. The bike has just over 1600 miles on it. It appears to have been well taken Care of. I wouldn't think that I have a bad intake boot but plan on checking . The bike runs great. Has plenty of power . And it don't ping every time either. I almost wonder if my filling stations have a sh**y blend of winter fuel yet. If I ride the bike hard from a stop just running through the gears I don't notice it. I notice it more when I roll on the throttle to pass someone on the high way or just. Gradually speed up. Thanks for the input I hope to figure something out soon

Old 03-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
mrfister11

it really sounds like a timing/a/f ratio...(the tune).. ive tuned alot things in the past and when i get something with a bad tune with too much timing/too lean, it usually shows its face real bad on a roll in.. heavy loads dont do it so bad.. you could try running the bike and spraying water on the engine around where the throttle bodies are and see if it changes.. that would be an easy way to see if it has any vacuum leaks. and maybe you can ask the previous owner where they might have put the revtech.. IF you do find it is there a way you can setup logs and go ride it and look at the a/f ratio and timing and load? if the a/f is in a good range then i would look at the timing map(if you can) and adjust it
mrfister11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
VRat

Garage

It could be under the tank, by buddy had his under the tank on his Hammer.

Keystone Victory Rider
VRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
Jackpot2009

Thanks everyone for your input hopefully I'll get this problem. Figured out soon. After taking my bike to the dealer today I'm still not much further then where I was. We both came to the conclusion that there is a fuel tuning issue and that there is no dfo on the bike. He was swamped today so he wasn't able to hook the bike up to his. Computer to check the map program in it. In goig back tommorow at 1pm. For him to check the program. I'm afraid He will tell me that there is nothing wrong and that it's the correct program in it. And that I will need a fuel programmer . I have no problem buying one if that's what it takes to fix it. It just very frustrateing to have to buy one when these are supposed to be bolt on parts with the cards for the proper tunes. Can. Anyone give me input on what would be my best option for a tuner and why? I know there is llyods, PVC, pcv w/ auto tune, rev tech dfo, teclusion tfi , kurakyn wild things tfi. And I'm sure others. I dont plan on doing any other add ons . I just want my bike to run right so I don't have to worry when I ride it. Thanks again can't wait for feed back on the tuners!

Old 03-20-2012, 02:58 AM   #7
DunedinDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot2009 View Post
Thanks everyone for your input hopefully I'll get this problem. Figured out soon. After taking my bike to the dealer today I'm still not much further then where I was. We both came to the conclusion that there is a fuel tuning issue and that there is no dfo on the bike. He was swamped today so he wasn't able to hook the bike up to his. Computer to check the map program in it. In goig back tommorow at 1pm. For him to check the program. I'm afraid He will tell me that there is nothing wrong and that it's the correct program in it. And that I will need a fuel programmer . I have no problem buying one if that's what it takes to fix it. It just very frustrateing to have to buy one when these are supposed to be bolt on parts with the cards for the proper tunes. Can. Anyone give me input on what would be my best option for a tuner and why? I know there is llyods, PVC, pcv w/ auto tune, rev tech dfo, teclusion tfi , kurakyn wild things tfi. And I'm sure others. I dont plan on doing any other add ons . I just want my bike to run right so I don't have to worry when I ride it. Thanks again can't wait for feed back on the tuners!
The "best" option for a tuner depends on what functionality you want. Most of the tuners you listed basically slip in between the ECU and the throttle bodies and you adjust lean/rich mixtures by way of some settings on the unit. Very simple and, from what I can tell, pretty effective at optimizing the fuel mixture. The PCV is adjusted and accessed through a laptop and a computer program and provides a greater amount of flexibility and detail in adjusting your fuel mixture, timing, changeable maps (in town, versus touring, versus racing...etc), and a variety of other features for each cylinder. The Autotune adds precision to your adjustments by using a feedback loop from wide-range O2 sensors that come with it. This allows you to set specific air-to-fuel ratios you want the unit to maintain based on rpm/throttle position per cylinder. Because it adjusts as you ride and it maintains it's data in a separate trim table, you can use the trim table as somewhat of a diagnostic tool to see what's happening with each of the cylinders at given settings.

Bottom line. You get what you pay for. Do you want simple with less flexibility, or more features for greater flexibility in adjusting and diagnosis?
DunedinDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:17 AM   #8
Jackpot2009

I am looking for something that will just plain work. I don't plan on anymore add ons so I don't really need the pcv with all the extended features. But I wan something that's not going to be a pain in the butt either. Any suggestions on where to pick a tuner up at the best price?

Old 03-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
Jackpot2009

Smile Doebeck performance gen 3 ejk fuel programmers

I would like to know if anyone has personal use with this prodcuct. its the gen 3 doebeck ejk programmer i am leaning towards this programmer. it appears to be very user friendly and pretty mcuh plug and play along with being set with a base map to start. its also appears to have a setting which adds fuel on decel to help with eliminateing that annoying decel pop/back fire.

it can be found at www.electronicjetkit.com.

is there anyone that is using this programmer? any input is apprciated.

thanks again

Sponsored Links
Advertisement