Klockwerks cracked - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 03-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
slickvic
Premium Member

Default Klockwerks cracked

Just went out to the garage to get a cold one from the fridge and noticed that my Klockwerks sheild has started cracking aroun the top bolt. This normal ? It's been on the bike for months and just did a 600 mile ride last weekend and I know it was'nt there yesterday?
2011 Cross Country. D&D's wrapped, VM1DR cams, PC5, LLoyds high performance filter and ATS (Adjustable Timing system) Power output 115HP/115FTLBS tuned by KMC. Klock Werks flip shield, RFPBR300x4 amp, JL Audio 6.5's, HMD Black Pull Backs with Victory performance grips. PIAA Led3 driving lights. accessories from Arlen ness, Witch Doctors, Noemtz Designs.
slickvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
ldschultz

Hmmm I will have to watch mine. I just put one on about a month ago. Have not been on a long trip on it yet. You did not tighten the mounting screws to tight did you? I forgot what the torque spec is they call for to tighten them. I know it is not much. Call them up or take it back to whoever you got it from. I hope this is not normal.
2009 Softail Custom (son's motorsickle)
Amsoil dealer
ldschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
joseph
Lifetime Premium

Which mounting system do you have? If I recall the first group had an alingment issue and one washer between the bolt and the screen. There were numerous issues with cracking like you desribe. Once corrected the newer version had a washer on both sides of the screen. If in fact you have one of the early versions I believe the we're replacing the screens with the newer version at no cost to the original purchaser.

2012 XCT
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Yeah. They will replace it at no cost to you from what I've heard.
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #5
CTKingpin

What have you used to clean it? I'm not sure but if it's Lexan any cleaner with a petrolium base will crack it at any screw hole. We use lexan for saftey guards and have crack them many times with different cleaners.
Nothing but a heel shifter and
Klockwerks Flare windshield
Traded in
2009 Kingpin Premium
Blue/White
:)
CTKingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
rich49
Premium Member

Just checked my Flip and it is also cracked, at the left bottom bolt. Only person to touch shield as far as the bolts is dealer. Hope he does something for me.
rich49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
VRat

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Which mounting system do you have? If I recall the first group had an alingment issue and one washer between the bolt and the screen. There were numerous issues with cracking like you desribe. Once corrected the newer version had a washer on both sides of the screen. If in fact you have one of the early versions I believe the we're replacing the screens with the newer version at no cost to the original purchaser.
This is correct, on all windshields make sure you have the washer on both sides of the windshield. My Vic flip cracked and it was replaced because it was not installed correctly by dealer with both washers.

Keystone Victory Rider
VRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
Rajder

Yep, it's a standard problem. From what Klockwerks said the problem was that the actual windshield mounting differed from the 3-D CAD file that Victory sent them. Mine cracked soon after I put it on as well and they replaced it. Like others have said you have to use a rubber washer on both sides of the windshield. Mine has now been free of cracks for quite some time now.

I havn't got it dyno'd yet but she runs like a scalded dog!
Rajder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #9
ndabunka

Just contact the Victory dealer you bought it from and let them know that yours has cracked. They will issue you an RMA and send you a new one. The only real difference in the original and the new appears to be a few extra rubber washers which (to be quite honest, I was a bit leery of originally) appears to stop the new ones from cracking. I was something like the 3rd person to buy one. When mine cracked I waited for the resolution and may have been the second person to have gotten the solution. I've had no cracking since the replacement some 6 months ago.

2011 Victory Ness Cross Country #120
Ness Thunderheaders, Ness Knurled Highway Pegs, Ness Radius laydown license, Chrome CAM Tension Covers, Red Engine Bolts, Madstad System, DIY Garage Door Opener, Victory Chrome Saddle Bag Lid Rails, Küryakyn Upper Fork Shrouds, Küryakyn Lower Fork Covers, Power Commander V Tuner
ndabunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
slickvic
Premium Member

Thanks gents for all the replys. I did only have one washer per bolt with the kit and was very carefull when tightening the bolts a few months ago when I recieved it. Hopefully their will be the right amount of washers with the replacement or off to the hardware store we go.

In regards to cleaners. Ive only used plexus. If their is a better product then please tell.

I contacted kate at Hondaeasttoledo where I bought the shield and she has another ready to go. Very nice to work with and she responds very quickly.
2011 Cross Country. D&D's wrapped, VM1DR cams, PC5, LLoyds high performance filter and ATS (Adjustable Timing system) Power output 115HP/115FTLBS tuned by KMC. Klock Werks flip shield, RFPBR300x4 amp, JL Audio 6.5's, HMD Black Pull Backs with Victory performance grips. PIAA Led3 driving lights. accessories from Arlen ness, Witch Doctors, Noemtz Designs.
slickvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement