Shifting issue - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 04-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
warr110r

Garage
Default Shifting issue

Scenario - I will take off into traffic and hit the gears pretty hard. After going into second and beginning to accelerate the bike will shift back to neutral. I can not tell if I am not getting it fully into 2nd or the stress is activating the neutral assist somehow.

Has anyone else had this happen?
Stablemate:
2002 Yamaha Warrior
110 C.I. Patrick Racing Kit
Waay too many other Mods
warr110r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
ndabunka

Quote:
Originally Posted by warr110r View Post
Scenario - I will take off into traffic and hit the gears pretty hard. After going into second and beginning to accelerate the bike will shift back to neutral. I can not tell if I am not getting it fully into 2nd or the stress is activating the neutral assist somehow.

I have also had this occur on my bike as well but it is ONLY when under super-hard acceleration (as you have pointed out) and it is ALWAYS due to not completing the shift. Remember that you are shifting quite quickly and if you don't get it "all the way in", it can slip out. I've been able to recreate it by intentionally being "lazy" with the shift into second when shifting quickly and it re-occurs.

If you simply make CERTAIN that you are fully shifted, the problem will go away. By CERTAIN, I mean that you FEEL the "full-stop" rather than "anticipating" completing the shift.

As you stated, this ONLY happens in 2nd and only about once in every 200 or 300 2nd gear shifts (for me) and is becoming less and less as I have come to understand this transmission better

2011 Victory Ness Cross Country #120
Ness Thunderheaders, Ness Knurled Highway Pegs, Ness Radius laydown license, Chrome CAM Tension Covers, Red Engine Bolts, Madstad System, DIY Garage Door Opener, Victory Chrome Saddle Bag Lid Rails, Küryakyn Upper Fork Shrouds, Küryakyn Lower Fork Covers, Power Commander V Tuner

Last edited by ndabunka; 04-18-2012 at 08:14 AM.
ndabunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
RICZ

Quote:

Preload the shifter.
http://www.victoryforums.com/showthr...t=lift+adapter
RICZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:08 AM   #4
jebz240

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
Preload the shifter.
Totally agree with this +1
Old 04-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
ndabunka

WTH is "preloading the shifter"?

Do you mean "clutchless shifts"? If so, then you may be missing the point as doing that could well be CAUSING the problem rather than SOLVING it. The OP (and myself) are experiencing not getting FULLY "into gear" and our short-shifting or clutchless shifting (or failing to fully complete the shift) may be the cause of that. The helical gears "appear" to allow a minor bit of gap where it can fall out of second UNLESS you get it "ALL THE WAY IN THERE" on these '11 and newer bikes.

Found a couple of definitions and at least one appears to verify my point..
http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/duc...g-shifter.html
http://www.yzf600r.com/phpBB2/viewto...p?f=23&t=61077

Ness Thunderheaders, Ness Knurled Highway Pegs, Ness Radius laydown license, Chrome CAM Tension Covers, Red Engine Bolts, Madstad System, DIY Garage Door Opener, Victory Chrome Saddle Bag Lid Rails, Küryakyn Upper Fork Shrouds, Küryakyn Lower Fork Covers, Power Commander V Tuner

Last edited by ndabunka; 04-18-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
RonBou

Garage

My understanding of pre loading the shifter is to put pressure on the shifter so that when you pull the clutch in you have a head start on a quick and positive shift. IMHO

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour (Stage 1)
2011 Victory Cross Country (traded in on XCT)
2009 Triumph Rocket III Touring (traded in on XC)
1998 Valkyrie Tourer (Hydralocked - sold as is)
1966 Honda 305 Dream (for sale)
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler (project)
1982 Honda CB900 Custom (need to put back together)
RonBou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
gamewarden

I think preloading means that you kind of shift once and then again the second time it eliminates the popping out, it comes as second nature after awhile. I find that this eliminates the problem. Kind of like double clutching a tractor trailer.
Blue 2011 Cross Country, hard lowers and trunk, Ipod in lowers, HID and saddle bag bars, stage 1, heel shifter, front and back chrome fender guards,Garmin GPS, fairing wind deflectors, heated Gerbing hook up, Dain skull brake pedal, rear brake master and reservoir cover, custom cheese wedge cover, clutch cover, Witchdoctor cam covers, Wolo Bad Boy horn, heated grips and seat, Gorilla alarm, Vision rear engine brackett covers, Kruzer Caddy.
gamewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
ndabunka

OK, the double shifting is not something I've ever tried to do in 2nd gear on the same clutch pull but it seems to me that would REALLY slow down the shifting. I HAVE done it on a farm tractor before though so I know what you mean!

As the OP stated and I agreed, we are experiencing this on a "quick shift" where we are rev'ing out 1st and "popping" it into second VERY FAST. I can't speak for him but in my case, I have tried "clutchless shifting" and that did (apparently) include "preloading the shifter" with a slight upper pressure prior to throttle backoff. It DOES get the shift executed faster but doesn't "help" it STAY in gear. Rather, I get into 2nd and power DOES go to the rear wheels for about another 20 feet (or so) and then the tranny simply POPs it right back into neutral...almost as if the tranny says "close and I let you THINK you had completed the shift but..nah...here N for ya!.

Of course then the ONLY option is to "properly" shift it into 2nd once more. Granted, you are doing this so fast that nobody around you really knows that you "missed a shift" but it is still a bit un-nerving when it happens and if you were actually racing someone, you would (of course) have lost a LOT of your advantage of the "short shift" attempt if not have lost the entire race due to that early error.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
RonBou

Garage

When I pre load the shifter for a fast shift I DO NOT let off the throttle. I pull and release the clutch quickly as the shifter grabs second. In the "olden days" we called it power shifting. Worked on cars too.

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour (Stage 1)
2011 Victory Cross Country (traded in on XCT)
2009 Triumph Rocket III Touring (traded in on XC)
1998 Valkyrie Tourer (Hydralocked - sold as is)
1966 Honda 305 Dream (for sale)
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler (project)
1982 Honda CB900 Custom (need to put back together)
RonBou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
fishslapr

Quote:

We always called this 'miss shifting'
Had it happen a lot on dirt bikes, not as much on my Victory. Seems to only happen now when I am not paying attention.

2011 Crossroads
2003 Honda XR650L
fishslapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement