Need comments/advice on my Pacific Coast Highway trip this summer. - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory General Discussion

Old 05-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
colobluefox

Default Need comments/advice on my Pacific Coast Highway trip this summer.

How's it look to you locals? Any comments?

Oh, I have twelve days to make this trip. This has it routed at 3600 miles.

Last edited by colobluefox; 05-15-2012 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Need to add comment.
colobluefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
JetBlast

I live in the Seattle area. Be ready for a lot of traffic. Very busy town and I-5 corridor is very traffic congested. Once you get on the I-90 connection, it lightens up quickly.
2011 Victory Zach Ness Vegas #64
JetBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
RICZ

Oh, where to begin. Why I-90 and Seattle? You'll miss the Columbia River Gorge. Why are you turning east at Eureka? Continuing a bit south and you'll ride through the Avenue of the Giants. A back road that parallels Hwy 101 and takes you alongside huge Redwoods for many miles. An experience you will not forget. From there, you could hook up with legendary Hwy. 1 at Leggett.

You are smart to avoid Hwy.101 in Washington as there is only a short (1/2 mile) stretch where one can see the ocean. The most spectacular stretches of 101 are in Oregon between Yachats (say Ya Hots) and Florence and south of Coos Bay.

Reference www.Oregonmotorcyclist.com and www.pashnit.com.
http://www.victoryforums.com/showthr...t=lift+adapter
RICZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:18 AM   #4
colobluefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
Oh, where to begin. Why I-90 and Seattle? You'll miss the Columbia River Gorge. Why are you turning east at Eureka? Continuing a bit south and you'll ride through the Avenue of the Giants.
I was going to be rolling in to Eureka FROM the east. Then continuing north.

That's why I ask for comments from people who are from these places. I don't have any idea where I'm going so I don't want to miss stuff.

Thanks! Keep them coming.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
mtsiview

I would forget I-90 and go to the North Cascades Highway (hwy20) or through Stevens Pass via hwy 2. You can bypass the Seattle mess if you want by hopping on hwy 18 to Snoqualmie and then taking hwy 203 to Monroe. Hwy 9 is a good route to get to Sedro Woolly and the North Cascades hwy.
Also you might consider taking hwy 12 and going through Mt Rainier Nat'l Park to Enumclaw and then to rte 169 to hwy 18 and avoid the I-5 mess through Tacoma. I would guarntee a stress reduction of 5 points.
mtsiview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
RICZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by colobluefox View Post
I was going to be rolling in to Eureka FROM the east. Then continuing north.

That's why I ask for comments from people who are from these places. I don't have any idea where I'm going so I don't want to miss stuff.

Thanks! Keep them coming.
It would be best to ride the coast going south. That way, you'll always be on the ocean side of the highway, making it easier and safer to pull over for views, etc.

+1 on the North Cascades Highway (Hwy. 20) - its like riding though a park with jagged mountains all around. Avoid the big cities anywhere you go - they are all the same. I also agree that you should avoid I-5.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by colobluefox View Post
[IMG]
How's it look to you locals? Any comments?

Oh, I have twelve days to make this trip. This has it routed at 3600 miles.
I'm not from the area, but I've done some riding there and would concur with the other guys on taking in the North Cascades Highway, and the Columbia River Gorge. Here's a couple of shots of the latter:

I would also suggest coming inland and taking in the mountains like Rainier and St Helens.

I like Seattle and think it's worth a visit. If you have time, you might want to hop a ferry over to the Olympic Peninsula.

It is a beautiful part of the world, I think you're going to have fun.

Hell, even a boring old freeway like I-90 is a pretty ride.

Here's a vid my wife took of a nice road called Windy Ridge that runs up the back of Mt St Helens:

Towards the end, you can still see the devastation that occurred even decades after the eruption.

For some reason the video looks very shaky on Youtube. Just imagine it's buffeting.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
RICZ

Saddlebag, you aren't supposed to post photos showing that it can be sunny in the Northwet. Post only rainy day pictures, so folks will think it rains all the time and will not consider moving here.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
Saddlebag, you aren't supposed to post photos showing that it can be sunny in the Northwet. Post only rainy day pictures, so folks will think it rains all the time and will not consider moving here.
Oh, like this?

I could always just tell people that the area is over run with trolls:

weaponry:

and unruly wildlife:

Old 05-20-2012, 12:24 AM   #10
jenkins

Go straight up the west side of Puget Sound for a beautiful ride, cross
On the ferry at Pt Townsend to Whidbey Island. I live about 5 minutes
From the landing at Keystone. The gunnery pic above is taken at Ft Casey, just to the left before landing at Keystone. From here you pick up Hwy 20, up and over Washington Pass and down thru the Columbia Gorge. If you PM me, I can give you many suggestions on where to stop and what to see along the route as well as a couple of must rides down the Gorge area. Jim
jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement