Why pay for exhaust? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Vision Forum

Old 06-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
tazinhawaii

Default Why pay for exhaust?

Well, I decided to modify my stock exhaust to make the exhaust note "respectable" at least. So for $0 I now can hear my exhaust but it's not unbearable straight pipes. I simply took the mufflers off, cut them in half with a cut-off wheel, removed the middle baffle plate and welded them back together. MUCH better and I figure I saved myself $700. And best thing is I can still get the fluted tips. The mufflers still have the baffling in them but there is a straight shot through them.

Worth every cent.

Derrick
tazinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #2
tazinhawaii

Yesterday the wife got me a set of fluted tips for the exhaust. VERY nice accent. But, I feel sorry for anyone who put these on following the instructions. The instructions say to pull the entire muffler and some of the plastic trim off to put these one. It actually only needs a 10mm wrench. AND you need a saw that the instructions don't mention to cut off the black portion of the stock '12 slash tips. If I didn't already have the tools and thought this was a simple bolt on when I bought them, then got home to read those instruction, I would have been P*SSED!

So, in summary, you need a 10mm wrench, some type of metal cutting tool, and a lighter to burn the instructions to install thee tips!!

Derrick
Old 06-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
bfisherman11

Neat. I am a modder as well. I just did the Thrush muffler mod. So far I am liking it a lot. Great sound and it runs just the same. I did not have a remap done nor add a fuel controller. I might add one if I eventualy open up the air box.

My MC was bare stock with stock map. If I am right it really feels like it is running cooler..........

How is yours running with the opened up exhaust?

Bill
bfisherman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
tazinhawaii

Much better throttle response. It does pop every so often when decelerating as I expect it needs more fuel at idle. But I love it. It's nice to actually be able to hear the bike, but not even close to the annoying decibels of a harley or straight pipes.

Derrick
Old 06-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
bfisherman11

I posted on another site that I did this mod and a few guys are saying I am being cheap for not taking it to the dealer for a remap or Dyno check................ I did not reply to that issue but just because I did not spend a lot of money on my exhaust does not make me cheap. If there was the slightest indicator it was running worse I would take it in but it runs better, I am sure. So, I think we are on the same page. I think it runs cooler, still fast as heck and I am not seeing any poping, backfire or acceleration lags......

I am glad it is working for you. After a little work isn't it nice to hear the Vision sound like it should.

Good Job!

Bill
Old 06-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
Cool Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisherman11 View Post
I posted on another site that I did this mod and a few guys are saying I am being cheap for not taking it to the dealer for a remap or Dyno check................ I did not reply to that issue but just because I did not spend a lot of money on my exhaust does not make me cheap. If there was the slightest indicator it was running worse I would take it in but it runs better, I am sure. So, I think we are on the same page. I think it runs cooler, still fast as heck and I am not seeing any poping, backfire or acceleration lags......

I am glad it is working for you. After a little work isn't it nice to hear the Vision sound like it should.

Good Job!

Bill
If your happy, who cares what they think. I would not wast the money either if all is well.
Cool Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
bfisherman11

Thanks CB, I actually talked to a Victory dealer when I was in South Carolina and he told me he heard a Thrush set up with no remap and it seemed fine. He told me they did muffler mods all the time with no change in the air fuel mix..........

On the internet you can ask 10 guys about something and get a 50/50 split of opinions. When the dealer gave me that feedback I decided to try it. My results were good so Im happy.

Again thanks, dont want to hijack the thread but all good exhaust mods have a discussion at some point about A/F mix..... I just think until a guy changes the air box he is probably OK. Anyhow, if I do anything about my A/F mix I think I would buy Lloyds controller.

Bill
Old 06-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
vindex1963
Lifetime Premium

I'm betting those "experts" pay to have their oil changed.

Do you have any pictures maybe before and during the mod?
Old 06-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
half_crazy
Lifetime Premium

By modifying the stock exhaust to make more noise you pretty much just de-tuned the bike. Probably introduced a loss of low end grunt at least.

Sometimes you get what you pay for...
airbox, RPW Thor pipe, Lloydz ECU, PC-III, Rivera Pro clutch spring, 31 tooth pulley w/Buell belt
half_crazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:14 AM   #10
tazinhawaii

Absolutely no loss in low in grunt. In fact i have to say that's where the largest gains are. And as for the re-map, unless significant changes are made to intake/exhaust, the remap will only truly affect idle and full throttle conditions. Within the learning limits of the computer, the computer will adjust A/F ratio (using the O2 sensors) to the correct values during part throttle operation. That''s why, for me, I only see any popping at closed throttle deceleration. That's the great thing about EFI.

I kept thinking about taking pictures, but didn't. It is pretty simple if you have a cutoff wheel, welder, and 3-4 hours of time. I got the idea from a post on utube from someone who did a similar mod. As I said, I determined to try it, and if I didn't like it, I'd go get an aftermarket exhaust. Good thing I did! Saved a LOT of money. AND it got me out in the garage for a morning which is hard to do since I sold my last project car.

Derrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement