Tires - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Tech and Performance Section

Old 07-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
Garion12
Lifetime Premium

Location: Either Afghanistan or East Tennessee depending on the day.
Default Tires

So I need a new rear tire as it currently looks like a racing slick. I am debating about getting another Dunlop E3 rear since the front is still usable or just getting some Avon Cobras for both the front and rear or just getting the the Avon rear.

What are the opinions about mixing the E3 front and Cobra rear? I have heard that the Cobra is a softer compound, which is one of the reasons I wanted to try them.

Is it worth the total switch to Cobras? Are they that much "grippier" in twists? How do the handle water?
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garion12 View Post
So I need a new rear tire as it currently looks like a racing slick. I am debating about getting another Dunlop E3 rear since the front is still usable or just getting some Avon Cobras for both the front and rear or just getting the the Avon rear.

What are the opinions about mixing the E3 front and Cobra rear? I have heard that the Cobra is a softer compound, which is one of the reasons I wanted to try them.

Is it worth the total switch to Cobras? Are they that much "grippier" in twists? How do the handle water?
I ran Avon's on my Warrior (Storms) and they were fine tires, wet and dry. I got really good mileage out of them too. I also run different tires regularly as one always seems to wear out before the other. Never has been a problem.

As to being "grippier," my E3s have never come unglued. And while my front is worn to the edges, there are still nice strips of unused rubber in the rear which are inaccessible due to limited cornering clearance. Maybe that's a good thing with the front so near it's limit. Sportbikes require a lot more lean to get the front strip off than the back. A slipping rear is somewhat controllable, when the front goes it's all over.

In any event, if you try something new, don't forget to leave us a nice review.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
ridinman

Garage

I've ran mixed brand tires without any problems.

I'd be interested in knowing if the Avon's make less noise than the E3's.
2014 XCT
Lenexa, KS
ridinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
Goatlocker95

If you're mixing tires just be careful about mixing radials and bias. A lot of companies state not to mix them at all. Some say you can mix them but only if the radial is on the rear. I've also read that there are a few Harleys, BMWs and Yamahas that come from the factory with bias on the front and radials on the rear.

Personally I've run Bridgestone bias on the front with a Dunlop radial on the rear and never had a problem.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
rayvin57

I run Metzeler 880 Marathons, radial rear and bias front and I love the handling. Took some getting used to at low speeds--much more responsive to changes in balance and road irregularities than bias front and rear.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatlocker95 View Post
If you're mixing tires just be careful about mixing radials and bias. A lot of companies state not to mix them at all. Some say you can mix them but only if the radial is on the rear. I've also read that there are a few Harleys, BMWs and Yamahas that come from the factory with bias on the front and radials on the rear.

Personally I've run Bridgestone bias on the front with a Dunlop radial on the rear and never had a problem.
He's talking about going from one radial to another, but yes mfgs mix bias with radials. As a matter of fact, Victory does it on the Hardball.

Lots of Harleys have some ancient bias tire on a bicycle rim out front with a big, fat, grippy radial in the rear. It seems to me that that would be the worst possible scenario as the grippy rear would have the capacity to plow the less sticky bias right off the mountain side.

Anyway, I suppose Harley et al must figure most guys on cruisers aren't riding them hard enough to worry about it. I am not aware of this being done by Yammi or Beemer though.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
trev0006

I run the mismatched tires setup and do not feel any difference between matched and unmatched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garion12 View Post
So I need a new rear tire as it currently looks like a racing slick. I am debating about getting another Dunlop E3 rear tires since the front is still usable or just getting some Avon Cobras for both the front and rear or just getting the the Avon rear.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
PaulK

Not in your style of bike, just mad at Victory price of tire so switched to Avon Cobra on the back with a Dunlap on front. Happy with the Avon but it has caused me to scratch footpegs on front on each side. May find out how good tire holds up next season currently have 23,000 on bike and tread looks good so far. Figuring on Avon on front maybe next but might go to different rim size on front. Avon makes the Dunlap look like it needs lessons on cornering and general handling.
Mini Standard Windshield
Solo Lugage Rack
FilterMag
Signal Sorcerer
Animal Alarm System
PaulK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement