Replacing fork seals - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory V92C

Old 07-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
StaceyL

Default Replacing fork seals

Hello everyone ~ I have an '03 Victory v92c with 13k miles on it. The right front fork seal is leaking and I have the replacement seals (and oil) but not sure how hard it would be to do the job myself. The local shop (closest victory dealership is in the next state) wants $300 to replace the seals. Would it be worth the money to just drop the bike off and let the guy work on it, or try to do it myself? Thanks!
StaceyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Colorado Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyL View Post
Hello everyone ~ I have an '03 Victory v92c with 13k miles on it. The right front fork seal is leaking and I have the replacement seals (and oil) but not sure how hard it would be to do the job myself. The local shop (closest victory dealership is in the next state) wants $300 to replace the seals. Would it be worth the money to just drop the bike off and let the guy work on it, or try to do it myself? Thanks!
I'd have to say "It depends..."

You're dealing with hefty springs under compression, parts where the surface finish is critical, and the need for specialty tools or workable substitutions (that won't damage what you're working on)...

I'd read through the applicable sections in the service manual and go from there. (FWIW, I decided to have a good local wrench do mine...)

Since it's coming apart whichever route you choose, consider installing a Race Tech cartridge emulator kit - they're worth every penny! Had it done to mine, and it is much more stable, especially on those pesky bumps that always hide in the middle of a curve.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

You don't need Victory to do this project but unless you buy the tools to do it yourself at a cost of around $150; you will need to take to a shop equipped to do it. Any local Independent bike shop should be able to do it for $100 if you take the forks off and take them down to them with the oil, parts, and specs for filling it. Printing a page or two out of the service manual should do it. Look in my sig line and click on the service manuals link if you don't already have one.
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

I was in a pinch and had my Vic dealer rebuild mine at a cost of 250. No real complaints on the money spent and got me back up when I needed it. I will be purchasing the tools and also getting the emulator's prior to the next time I change the fork oil to try to clean up the front end performance. I read somewheres about a DIY fix to get a slightly leaking fork seal to stop without replacing it but couldnt find the thread ifyou want to look.

I will say just changing the oil out at just a little over 15K was a very noticable improvement so I can only imagine what the emulators will do in conjunction with new oil more often.
2011 White Vision - Nuvi 550, Lowers, Lloydz 2nd filter, Vic perf filter, CB/Icom, 96 Brake LED's, Clear Signal lens/Switchbacks, VIC Hwy Pegs, Stebel Horn, 7Jurock 15" Shield, PCV, Lloyd ATS and Variable intake, Ness honkers

2004 V92 TC - S1 flash, level 1 slip-on, Ness big sucker K&N, ISO Grips, 4x1.5 Highway Hawg Risers, extra chrome (never too much), JM 2k CB 4' antena, Mustang seat, HD Front TS & Lowers, OD Pulley

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Tims_04V92TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
seanrossr

Garage
Default Left Fork Seal

I also have a damaged left fork seal which is only about $20 for the seal, but god knows how much the dealership will charge me. Considering they charged $350 to Flush the brake fluid, replace the handlebar bushings, and fuel line.

On a scale of 1 to 10 tho, how difficult would it be for a relative novice motorcycle mechanic to do it himself, given i can download the 05 Vegas Service manual.
seanrossr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanrossr View Post
I also have a damaged left fork seal which is only about $20 for the seal, but god knows how much the dealership will charge me. Considering they charged $350 to Flush the brake fluid, replace the handlebar bushings, and fuel line.

On a scale of 1 to 10 tho, how difficult would it be for a relative novice motorcycle mechanic to do it himself, given i can download the 05 Vegas Service manual.
Do them both. Sure as shootin' if you just do one; they other will go out soon. Plus you will only have good oil in one fork so they won't work the same.

The Vegas has the standard forks. Without the right tools you will be fighting it so a spring compressor and seal setter will be needed. If you are good at reading the instructions you should be ok to do the project. Worse case scenario is you take it down to a shop to be put back together with the correct amount of oil in them.

You can simply buy the seals and oil, pull the forks, and take it all down to a shop to do it for you. Shouldn't cost more than 1 to 1.5 hours labor that way.
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement