shock air pressure check - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads

Old 08-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
Milesx

Default shock air pressure check

My wife and I made a little trip yesterday to a motorcycle event here in Arkansas. The bike drug ever so slightly dropping off the driveway onto the street. I didn't think much about it then as I usually back the bike off the driveway and have the wife get on afterwards. Later on the return trip, I drug left pipe on a very sharp downhill curve entering Batesville and one other time. We've been on these roads several times and this has never happened so once home I checked the air pressure in the shock and just as I anticipated, the pressure was low.... way low <20 lbs. I aired it up and checked it this morning and still at 50lbs. Has anyone experienced the loss in pressure with their airshock? I guess I need to check it more often but how often is everyone checking theirs. I check my tires before every ride.
Milesx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Shuffles

Seems I may have the same problem with the air shocks. I do not check them often, but when I do they are always at zero. I use the hand pump to fill them. The other day I put 25 lbs in, going to wait a bit and recheck. You will loose a few lbs when you remove and attach the pump, will take that into concideration.
2007 Ural Patrol Black-Sold
2011 Cross Country White and Silver
2012 Cross Country Red and Silver--Hers
A bunch of other bikes over the years, mostly all good

Life is short, eat dessert first, simple enough.

N/E Georgia and my garage
Shuffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Mrchips

Mine leak down after a day or two also. Need to get it in to delear but have not had time yet.
7Jurock 13" Tinted Screen
Digital Guard Dawg
Horndawg Tank Bib
Lloydz 1/4 Turn Throttle
Ness Big Honker Exhaust
Lloydz HF Air Filter
Lloydz Timing Wheel +4deg
Lloydz VM1 Touring Cams
PCV Fuel Tuner
Lloydz Dyno Tune
119 HP / 118TQ
TONS OF SMILES
Mrchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
visionjohnny

I check the tires once a month and always add air. Now with the hot weather I would check every two weeks and they would be down 2 to 3 pounds.
Yesterday I thought I would add air to the shock for a little stiffer ride. Guess what it was down 5 pounds. So hot weather affects any thing that holds air.
So from now on in hot weather I'm checking the shock.
Boy I was shocked

Please add your city and state after the model of bike you have. Click user pc at top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
Milesx

I'll be checking it more often now for sure.. I just barely scrapped the pipe or actually the bolt which holds the exhaust tip on.. Sounded like the whole pipe was dragging though.. "shocked" excellent play on words...! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Milesx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
thumbgone

I check my air shock air every three weeks or so, but that's probably not enough. It always needs at least a little air--and sometimes more than a little (maybe it's the crazy ass southern Texas heat playing hell with things).

Since I put a shorter windshield on (http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=12525) I have noticed that if my ass can't tell if the rear end needs air, my line of vision over the top of the windshield can.

If you are agonizing over what height windshield you want for your XC or XCT, be sure to do your calcs with the rear end air pressure set appropriately.

Honda CB350, Penton 125, Penton 175, Honda MR 175, Honda TL250, Yamaha IT 175, Husky 250CR, Husky 360 Auto, Husky 390WR, BMW R90/6, 84 Goldwing, 93 Goldwing, 98 Goldwing, 2012 Victory XCT
thumbgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
Speedblue

Default Gauge reading incorrect.

I got curious a while back about the small FOX hand pump I bought for the shock. I use it when needed,always seemed a bit harsh the ride. I checked it with my Snap-On tire gauge which I do trust more. Apparently the Fox gauge reads 5 lbs to low, so I have been overfilling it since I got the bike. I subtract 5 lbs from the reading now on the Fox hand pump. Bike rides much better.
Speedblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
BBob
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Not sure I know of any air shocks that hold their psi for much longer than a week or two. Can't think of any right now.

I did have an issue with the air shock in my 11 XC during the first year I owned it. Just out of the blue it wouldn't hold air pressure with 2 up riding. It was fine with just me but if I had a passenger it would go from aired up properly to bouncing on the stops by the end of the day.

Fortunately it did happen during that first year so it was covered by the dealer/Victory but it's entirely possible these days that a dealer might decline to honor that because it was such an off the wall thing.

The tech and I looked at the shock after it was replaced and could not see anything to make one think there was anything wrong with it. I hope your guys have the kind of good dealer I have when you bring this to their attention.
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
Gunslinger
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBob View Post
Not sure I know of any air shocks that hold their psi for much longer than a week or two. Can't think of any right now.

I did have an issue with the air shock in my 11 XC during the first year I owned it. Just out of the blue it wouldn't hold air pressure with 2 up riding. It was fine with just me but if I had a passenger it would go from aired up properly to bouncing on the stops by the end of the day.

Fortunately it did happen during that first year so it was covered by the dealer/Victory but it's entirely possible these days that a dealer might decline to honor that because it was such an off the wall thing.

The tech and I looked at the shock after it was replaced and could not see anything to make one think there was anything wrong with it. I hope your guys have the kind of good dealer I have when you bring this to their attention.
Knock on wood, but my shock does not readily lose pressure. Whatever I set it to, a week later, that's where it's still at. Without the tour pack, it likes 10lbs, with the trunk, it takes 20lbs. I only air it up to the 35-50 range when riding two up, depending on the passenger... I try to always follow the chart posted near the valve in the side bag door. 200lb rider, no trunk = 9lbs of air in the shock.

2006 110" (133hp/142tq) +nitrous Kingpin (sold)
Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #10
webbiker

Hey, what brand air pump do you guys use? I just got my 2012 XC and, of course, Victory doesn't supply the air pump. Recommendations? Or are they all about the same?
webbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement