Transmission Noise - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory V92C

Old 09-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Sandring
Lifetime Premium

Default Transmission Noise

The bike I am talking about is a 99 V92C and has 300 miles on it, but the tranny makes alot of noise?

Is this common for them to be very noisy? I have a few other bikes " Ultra Classic, Sportster " and they dont make any noise compared to Victory.

Thanks for any help in advance

Chris
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
CrossRoads
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandring View Post
The bike I am talking about is a 99 V92C and has 300 miles on it, but the tranny makes alot of noise?

Is this common for them to be very noisy? I have a few other bikes " Ultra Classic, Sportster " and they dont make any noise compared to Victory.

Thanks for any help in advance

Chris
When was the oil changed last? I saw the 300 mile part, but also noted that it's a '99 we're looking at. If all fluids were not flushed out and replaced, you might want to do that before you turn it on again. That being said, the '99s were rough machines compared to nowadays standards.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
Sandring
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoads View Post
When was the oil changed last? I saw the 300 mile part, but also noted that it's a '99 we're looking at. If all fluids were not flushed out and replaced, you might want to do that before you turn it on again. That being said, the '99s were rough machines compared to nowadays standards.
Ok I will change the oil and filter, along with the tranny oil.

I dont have a manual so if anyone can fill me in on what oil and how much, filter, what tranny oil, and how much to add I will get on it tomorrow.

I dont have a Victory dealer by me so I would need to get my stuff from the local MC dealer.

Thanks

Chris
Old 09-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
Atbyrne

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandring View Post
Ok I will change the oil and filter, along with the tranny oil.

I dont have a manual so if anyone can fill me in on what oil and how much, filter, what tranny oil, and how much to add I will get on it tomorrow.

I dont have a Victory dealer by me so I would need to get my stuff from the local MC dealer.

Thanks

Chris
You defiantly want to change the oil, but what kind of noise are you getting?
1. Noise all the time?
2. While idling with in neutral and clutch out?
3. While idling with clutch pulled in?
4. Noise when shifting, grinding noise?
5. Noise When shifting, big bang?

Oil, the Victory oil is a 20/40 simi synthetic. You will get all kinds of different thoughts on this. It will be up to you, just make sure it is not car oil and make sure it does not have friction modifiers in it. Stick with good brand.

Filter, I use a NAPA GOLD 1358, which is the same as the WIX filter #51358, K&N KN-303. You can usually order the Victory oil change kit online too. There is a dealer that sells them here. I think it is Honda East, he is a Victory dealer too. The engine and transmission is the same, so only changing oil once. The next problem you will find is your drain plug using an Allen wrench to remove. there is one in your tool kit, but would recommend getting a socket version. Now bigger problem is that there is a crush washer that needs to be replaced. these will come with the oil change kit, may be able to match it up at an auto parts place, but not sure. i was lucky enough to find 5 of them on eBay.

I hope this helps.

Travis
Working on custom HD fairing for it.
01 VStar 1100 Bagger
Custom all the way.
Atbyrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
kevinx
Lifetime Premium

The trans makes more noise then any other bike you will ever ride. Thing I am red flagged on is the miles. Was this thing in a crate all of it's life?? The 99-00 speedo is known for going to zero if the battery is unhooked, and there are LOTS of unscrupulous people out there that sell them as super low miles bikes
Old 01-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
ddahlen

My 99 makes a very loud clunk as I go from gear to gear. I have been told this is okay, but it sure is loud.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinx View Post
The trans makes more noise then any other bike you will ever ride. Thing I am red flagged on is the miles. Was this thing in a crate all of it's life?? The 99-00 speedo is known for going to zero if the battery is unhooked, and there are LOTS of unscrupulous people out there that sell them as super low miles bikes
+1 may not be a quick 100% accurate way to spot check the 300 miles but you can inspect the throttle bodies for build up. 300 miles should be spotless. BBob has th 00 manual for download, here's the link. http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=10829

Should get you moving in the right dire cation. Oil change intervals going to be important, you will get more noise and clumsy shifting as you get past 2500. Throw some more info up as Atbyrne noted when you get a cance. Congrats on the purchase and safe riddin
2011 White Vision - Nuvi 550, Lowers, Lloydz 2nd filter, Vic perf filter, CB/Icom, 96 Brake LED's, Clear Signal lens/Switchbacks, VIC Hwy Pegs, Stebel Horn, 7Jurock 15" Shield, PCV, Lloyd ATS and Variable intake, Ness honkers

2004 V92 TC - S1 flash, level 1 slip-on, Ness big sucker K&N, ISO Grips, 4x1.5 Highway Hawg Risers, extra chrome (never too much), JM 2k CB 4' antena, Mustang seat, HD Front TS & Lowers, OD Pulley

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Tims_04V92TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #8
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddahlen View Post
My 99 makes a very loud clunk as I go from gear to gear. I have been told this is okay, but it sure is loud.
Like a horse ready to come out of the gate!!! I've actually grown fond of it....
2011 White Vision - Nuvi 550, Lowers, Lloydz 2nd filter, Vic perf filter, CB/Icom, 96 Brake LED's, Clear Signal lens/Switchbacks, VIC Hwy Pegs, Stebel Horn, 7Jurock 15" Shield, PCV, Lloyd ATS and Variable intake, Ness honkers

2004 V92 TC - S1 flash, level 1 slip-on, Ness big sucker K&N, ISO Grips, 4x1.5 Highway Hawg Risers, extra chrome (never too much), JM 2k CB 4' antena, Mustang seat, HD Front TS & Lowers, OD Pulley

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Tims_04V92TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
George D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinx View Post
Ok, this is making me feel a little better. In neutral, with clutch out, it rattles when warmed up. The exhaust is so loud I can't tell if it makes any noice going down the road but it seems to get quieter under load.
George D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
wbb

My 02 Touring Crusier makes a loud clunk when I change gears and the trans makes a lot of noise until the clutch is pulled in and then it's quiet. I'm not a mechanic but I've been told this is normal for these bikes. I've gotten used to it over the years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement