Garmin Nuvi 550 - Wiring into Vision GPS harness - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory Vision Forum

Old 10-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
Tims_04V92TC

Garage
Default Garmin Nuvi 550 - Wiring into Vision GPS harness

Well I leave to go pick up my new addition in the A.M. and was getting a head start on the first project. Wiring in my Nuvi 550. I just can't bring myself to part with the cash for the 660 when my 550 is doing great and I can bounce it between either bike once I buy the new MC mount for it. I was looking at the basic harness and it is power only so I figured I would have to take the 1/8 jack off the audio out and patch it into the GPS connector as well. I was hoping NOT to splice and wondering if anyone has the connector type or knows where to get one? I have searched here and a couple other forums but no joy on the exact connector that is actually available to me.

Yes, I know I can mount it on the bar and also that I don't need to tie it into the bikes audio system but Im wanting to maximize what the bike was designed to do without buying the 660. Thanks, any help or pics is appreciated.

Tim
2011 White Vision - Nuvi 550, Lowers, Lloydz 2nd filter, Vic perf filter, CB/Icom, 96 Brake LED's, Clear Signal lens/Switchbacks, VIC Hwy Pegs, Stebel Horn, 7Jurock 15" Shield, PCV, Lloyd ATS and Variable intake, Ness honkers

2004 V92 TC - S1 flash, level 1 slip-on, Ness big sucker K&N, ISO Grips, 4x1.5 Highway Hawg Risers, extra chrome (never too much), JM 2k CB 4' antena, Mustang seat, HD Front TS & Lowers, OD Pulley

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Tims_04V92TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
handyhoward

Garage

There is a power outlet in the top left "glove box"... I just used it...

2013 Indian Vintage Chief FE... #7 of 25

2011 Victory Vision Tour Premium...
handyhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyhoward View Post
There is a power outlet in the top left "glove box"... I just used it...
Thanks bro, thats exactly what I did. Stuck the car mount on the tank and used that outlet and never had a problem.

For a permenant fix, I found a power cable for 24 bucks to hard wire it through the bike. Just got to figure out the audio out wiring and can tie it into the audio cables of the Vision so it will work like the 650 harness. May continue to use the car mount or buy the MC mount for 60 bucks. Got to figure out if I like it on the tank in the middle or get a RAM ball and mount it on the bars.

For now, I am good. Thanks again!!!!

Power cable for Nuvi 550 using the http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-zumo-5...le-cradle.html motorcycle mount. I purchased a ramball so now can easily move it from my TC to the Vision and back maintaining the locking ram mount btwn the two and only needing to unhook the power cord.

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-zumo-m...wer-cable.html
2011 White Vision - Nuvi 550, Lowers, Lloydz 2nd filter, Vic perf filter, CB/Icom, 96 Brake LED's, Clear Signal lens/Switchbacks, VIC Hwy Pegs, Stebel Horn, 7Jurock 15" Shield, PCV, Lloyd ATS and Variable intake, Ness honkers

2004 V92 TC - S1 flash, level 1 slip-on, Ness big sucker K&N, ISO Grips, 4x1.5 Highway Hawg Risers, extra chrome (never too much), JM 2k CB 4' antena, Mustang seat, HD Front TS & Lowers, OD Pulley

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va

Last edited by Tims_04V92TC; 10-27-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

Well parts on order and awaiting them to complete install on a ram ball in the center console. I was using the suction cup mount and almost lost the nuvi. Not sure how it didn't seal, first time for everything. Was wondering if anyone has an 11 wire schematic they can post or send me from work package 19 audio wiring. I have the 09 manual on digital, shows 4 wires. Heard there may be a fifth and trying to get a head start before opening it up. Thanks

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Old 12-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
Tims_04V92TC

Garage
Default At last, wiring diagrams

Well a big thanks to TheMike for shooting me pics of the GPS wiring for a 2011 VV. I have got all the parts, will be mounting a RAMball below the ignition on the console, wiring into a Garmin Nuvi 550 with the MC mount (the one that has the screw in the corner) and tying it into the GPS plug. For now, here are the pics before I loose them of the GPS portion of the wiring schematic. Looks like stereo it is.

Thanks Mike!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011GPSWiring.jpg (7.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 2011GPSWiring1.jpg (19.6 KB, 26 views)

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Old 12-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
TheMike
Lifetime Premium

You are more than welcome. Don't think it matters but the info I sent you was out of a '12 manual.

Look forward to seeing your finished product and info related to.
2012 #20 NESS Vision DARKSIDE BABY!
Stage 1 w/D&D pipes + lots of Victory add ons.
PC-V w/AT, Lloyd's intake, filter, ATS, & Variable Clutch.
2013 Bushtec Entourage - See the PAINTED TO MATCH process
Wife rides a Black 2013 XCT. Lloyds HP Air Filter, PC-V & AT, 2" pullback bars

LONGMONT COLORADO
TheMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
Tims_04V92TC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMike View Post
You are more than welcome. Don't think it matters but the info I sent you was out of a '12 manual.

Look forward to seeing your finished product and info related to.
It shouldn't but wont know until I open it up this week but from what I read 10 made the switch. There was some debate but don't know if it was first hand. Going to find out Wed I think.. lol... 50% chance of rain riding into work and home with NOT much going on AT work... hehee May just take the console into work for mod.. Got electricians there that know how to solder WAY better than me.. Will post results with PICs

IBA Rider
Retired Navy SCPO
Chesapeake Va
Sponsored Links
Advertisement