Is oil level too high a problem? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Oil and Lube

Old 11-30-2009, 11:40 PM   #1
Flame Daddy

Default Is oil level too high a problem?

I just bought a 2006 Vegas Jackpot. I checked the oil level per the manual and the dipstick reads what appears to be about a half quart high. The manual says too much oil may cause damage. Do I need to drain out the extra oil so that the level is no higher than the "FULL" mark or does it really matter?
Flame Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2009, 11:49 PM   #2
diamondrmp
The Diamond

Garage

Drain it out!!
diamondrmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:55 PM   #3
Flame Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondrmp View Post
Drain it out!!
Okay, thanks for your advice. If the previous owner had run with this for the last 100 miles or so (I have no way of knowing, but the oil looks and feels recent and it has 2600 miles on it), might it have caused any damage?
Old 12-01-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
diamondrmp
The Diamond

Garage

The main damage would be to seals and gaskets. You should be ok.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:56 AM   #5
Flame Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondrmp View Post
The main damage would be to seals and gaskets. You should be ok.
Yikes..Okay, I'll drain some out before I run it again. Thanks for your help!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
stevie3x

Flame Daddy, if you havn't already " drained" the oil out, a simple solution is to purchase a plastic syringe at a horse supply 2 oz. put a 6 - 8 inch piece of clear vynal tubing on the end and draw out the oil through the oil fill spout.

steve
stevie3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #7
diamondrmp
The Diamond

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie3x View Post
Flame Daddy, if you havn't already " drained" the oil out, a simple solution is to purchase a plastic syringe at a horse supply 2 oz. put a 6 - 8 inch piece of clear vynal tubing on the end and draw out the oil through the oil fill spout.

steve

Damn, thats a GREAT idea!!!
Old 12-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
Flame Daddy

Talking

[QUOTE=stevie3x;3354]Flame Daddy, if you havn't already " drained" the oil out, a simple solution is to purchase a plastic syringe at a horse supply 2 oz. put a 6 - 8 inch piece of clear vynal tubing on the end and draw out the oil through the oil fill spout.

Thanks, Steve! I haven't drained it yet, so I really appreciate your suggestion. These forums are awesome!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #9
Amsoil Dealer Group
Site Sponsor

I have 2 Turkey basters... Cheap right at the grocery store...

I use one for oil, tranny fluid, power steering fluid, etc... The other I keep specifically for brake fluid.

Even though I clean them both after use, I don't want to take the chance of cross contamination in the brake system.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

For more info AMSOIL@bestoil4you.com or call Toll Free 1-877-356-6099.
Amsoil Dealer Group is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:19 AM   #10
Flame Daddy

[QUOTE=Amsoil Dealer Group;3385]I have 2 Turkey basters... Cheap right at the grocery store...

I use one for oil, tranny fluid, power steering fluid, etc... The other I keep specifically for brake fluid.

Even though I clean them both after use, I don't want to take the chance of cross contamination in the brake system.

Bob/QUOTE]

Ahhh, hadn't thought of that one either. It makes sense to keep them separate too. Thanks for another great idea!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement