What kind of rider are you? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum > Victory Motorcycles > Victory General Discussion

Old 10-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
roadrunnerdavid

Default What kind of rider are you?

And how do you plan your trips? Aside from the day to day rides to work, the store, and such, how do you plan your trips? Do you just head out the door and see where you'll end up, or do you pour over maps for hours? Do you use books, travel guides, or magazines for reference?
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
BanditSRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunnerdavid View Post
And how do you plan your trips? Aside from the day to day rides to work, the store, and such, how do you plan your trips? Do you just head out the door and see where you'll end up, or do you pour over maps for hours? Do you use books, travel guides, or magazines for reference?
Maps... LOL

That's what GPS is for.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
pat0021

Depends.... if its just a day trip sometimes i'll have a destination but then never get there because I found other things to do along the way.

Vacation I usually map them out and upload to the GPS but am very fond of changing plans in mid trip.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
saddlebag
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditSRT8 View Post
Maps... LOL

That's what GPS is for.
Not unless they've improved immensely over the last several years.

I have a few year old Garmin Zumo 550. The trip planning map software that came with it is garbage. And it was the only thing marketed for motorcyclists at the time.

GPS is great if you're in a car and want to get somewhere quickly and accurately, but if you like to plan trips along your own back road routes, I'd suggest printing out your route on Google maps and using the GPS as a back up navigator for those times you accidently make a wrong turn.

To be fair, the Garmin does have a function for taking the "shortest" route. In populated regions, this means you'll take the surface streets and spend a lot of time at traffic lights. In the boondocks, it means you'll be taking gravel roads and goat paths.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
Mags
Premium Member

My wife and I started riding the corner area of our state 30 yrs ago.

So our day trips and overnights are to destinations we know well.

As the weekend approaches I mention a few ride destinations and she picks one. Have about 10 named rides to pick from.

If going further afield... break out the paper maps first and fine tune with Google or Nearmap.

We have a book here "Best Motorcycle roads of Australia" which has just been released. Not sure of exact title but trying to purchase it.

As we are the size of the USA in land area we cant ride it all!!! Can try to get a big chunk of it done!!

I have about 6-7 mini rides which are 1-2 hrs... all destinations in my city.

Hey! I have a Victory and like to show it off!! (ShinySmile)

Mags
Old 10-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
KingpinRider

Pick a destination. Google campgrounds and points of interest along the way. Throw the maps in the trunk. And, occasionally refer to them. Have fun!
Old 10-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
depot picker
Lifetime Premium

I did 32k in the last year. Ride to work every day, shopping, errands etc. I have many 2 or 3 hour rides, several all day rides, and I've made 2 2,200 mile round trips to Boston and a few 350 milers to Savannah.
For planning, if I don't know the way, I'll use Google maps to remmember the route and suppliment with GPS.
Passenger arm rests and handles, driver back rest
Lloydz filter, 1 1/8 hole drilled in muffler baffles,
Harley lugage rack, Ness modular apes
depot picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
ridealittle

if i'm by myself i usually roam aimlessly. but the group i usually ride with has one guy that carries maps, knows every road in tn. and likes to lead. makes it so easy to just ride.
in order of ownership, sears compact scooter, honda 305 scrambler, honda 160 dream , triumph 500 trophy trail, honda cb450, sportster, honda f750, 2nd sportster, harley flh, harley super glide, 3rd sportster, bmw k1000, harley low rider, 2nd harley super glide, harley heratage, harley road king,
thats just the street bikes!
ridealittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
Half333Evil

Default Planning trips

I plan for 1/2 a year for longer trips. I look at a handful of things.

I usually have a destination- e.g. Sturgis, Yellowstone Park, The Ozarks, etc. I then use a map to check things out- google maps also helps for distance, paper maps for the 'big picture.'

I then consult websites like Motorcycleroads.us and other motorcycle rider's forums about good places to ride both where I plan to go and on the way there. I also have a handful of books and magazines with 'best rides in...' sections. It is all about the trip.

I then pull out maps and mark them up, so I know where I plan on going. I do not use GPS because getting lost is half the fun. If I just followed GPS, I'd never found the double letter roads in Iowa, the side roads in South Dakota, or the crazy switchback road just outside of Eureka Springs. And the fear of an almost empty tank is fun if you actually find a gas station in time.

For my wife and I, we are all about the trips. I hardly take my bike to work because of parking issues, well that and I have to fight really hard not to keep riding in the a.m..
iPod adapter
Half333Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #10
Rollin'

I have spent many, many hours, sometimes months planning rides. Sometimes I even have each gas stop planned.
I don't program a route into my GPS I just add way-points, I have added over 50 way-points for one trip.
Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement